What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

age.s

First Grade
He was switched off big time if you ask me. I hope he was busted in that finals game in 2018 because he turned in the worst performance ive seen from him, if he wasn't hurt there was something else wrong. Last year look at his effort in origin compared to when he played for us, huge difference in his application and effort IMO. He played one or two good games post origin both years. I don't remember any stand out performances from him last season except origin 2.

He was atrocious, but that's on Ciraldo imo. I'm surprised he was even walking after the Luke tackle. He shouldn't have been playing and it's a good example of a young coach struggling to stand up to a player who's almost his peer experience wise.

betcats

Referee
He was busted before he got to Penrith. A terrible signing really

He had a pretty good run of form leading into origin in 2018, I don't think he was completely busted, but I think he was just lacking motivation. He had won two premierships at two clubs by that point, origin was the only thing he didn't have and it showed how motivated he was for that.

If there is any truth to the rumour that there was always a handshake deal between Jimmy and Gus about him leaving after 2 years then it really starts to look a cushy last NRL deal before he goes on an extended French holiday.

OldPanther

Coach
The argument that Maloney tried really hard is weird to me. At the end of the day it's a results driven business. All the effort in the world is irrelevant if you don't get the job done. Everyone else in the working world has to live with being criticised on performance rather than effort and so should footballers. Look at the end of 2019. The only games we won at the end of the year were against Sharks with Burton at 6 and the Knights who just wanted to move on to next year with a new coach.

betcats

Referee
The argument that Maloney tried really hard is weird to me. At the end of the day it's a results driven business. All the effort in the world is irrelevant if you don't get the job done. Everyone else in the working world has to live with being criticised on performance rather than effort and so should footballers. Look at the end of 2019. The only games we won at the end of the year were against Sharks with Burton at 6 and the Knights who just wanted to move on to next year with a new coach.

Yep. Nathans effort is second to none and people are happy to shit on him. Jimmy dominated origin 2 in 2019, he was still good enough, but when we needed wins over the back half of 2019 it wasn't Jimmy stepping up and owning games, he wasn't trying to drag us into the finals on his own back. In 2018 he was more hinderance then help come the business end of the season.

The last time we had a player capable of stepping up and winning us games when we needed it was Moylan in 2016, he had multiple MOTM awards in a row leading into the finals that year. MOTM against the dogs in week 1, tried everything he could against the raiders the next week including the longest try assist pass ive seen in a long time.

betcats

Referee
Maloney>Moylan>Cleary. Just saying.

Moylan had the best Penrith career despite how it has ended up for him. Cleary is 22 he will have a better Panthers career then both, hopefully he will surpass Jimmys premiership tally, he has a long time left to rack up the achievements and he is well ahead of either of them at the same age, just sayin.

Fangs

Coach
Moylan had the best Penrith career despite how it has ended up for him. Cleary is 22 he will have a better Panthers career then both, hopefully he will surpass Jimmys premiership tally, he has a long time left to rack up the achievements and he is well ahead of either of them at the same age, just sayin.

I'd love to see Cleary have a better career. If he did then he would be the greatest Panther of all time. We've never had one of our halfbacks win more than one premiership and he has time on his side.

Pomoz

Bench
If his body was that bad he should’ve sat out and got it right or bloody retired, sounds like an excuse for high paid player not delivering. He was right for origin both years and was able to perform well at that level, but he was busted for us hmmmm....
He had neck surgery in the 2019 off-season. According to Gus he was in immense pain for half the season but wanted to keep playing and delayed the surgery.

Kilkenny

Coach
That's not a positive thing for the team or supporters of the team who want wins if he was injured and chose to play on injured and then play poorly because of it.

I’m not one of those who thought he played poorly.

I thought he gave his all. Didn’t he play for us one game two night’s after origin what does that say about his commitment to our cause.

It is not in dispute the bloke had a serious chronic neck injury despite which as the great players do they play through the pain barrier for the sake of the team.

There are lot’s of reasons why we as a team performed poorly in 2019 but the criticism of James Maloney by many is ridiculous.

Last season we won 11 and lost 13. Most of our wins were as a result of what Jimmy contributed and while he never at his best as a result of his neck issue he was not responsible for our 13 losses and the blame there is across the whole club in my view.

Some on here continue to wax lyrical about Matt Moylan who season 2016 aside was largely a myth. Capable of good games, some great ones here and there but for the most part an average over paid player who didn’t have the intestinal fortitude to do what the great players do.

OldPanther

Coach

I thought he gave his all. Didn’t he play for us one game two night’s after origin what does that say about his commitment to our cause.

It is not in dispute the bloke had a serious chronic neck injury despite which as the great players do they play through the pain barrier for the sake of the team.

There are lot’s of reasons why we as a team performed poorly in 2019 but the criticism of James Maloney by many is ridiculous.

Last season we won 11 and lost 13. Most of our wins were as a result of what Jimmy contributed and while he never at his best as a result of his neck issue he was not responsible for our 13 losses and the blame there is across the whole club in my view.

Some on here continue to wax lyrical about Matt Moylan who season 2016 aside was largely a myth. Capable of good games, some great ones here and there but for the most part an average over paid player who didn’t have the intestinal fortitude to do what the great players do.

Moylan was as good for us as Jimmy was based on performance.

Maloney was out played by Matt Burton and Nathan Cleary at the end of the year. You might see it as being tough and trying to give his all but the pragmatic option would've been to sit out the end of 2019. He would've been paid and we'd all be saying how selfless he was letting Luai or Burton take the spot to improve our finals chances.

BxTom

Bench

Yep, because Cleary was out injured.

Kilkenny

Coach
Moylan was as good for us as Jimmy was based on performance.

Maloney was out played by Matt Burton and Nathan Cleary at the end of the year. You might see it as being tough and trying to give his all but the pragmatic option would've been to sit out the end of 2019. He would've been paid and we'd all be saying how selfless he was letting Luai or Burton take the spot to improve our finals chances.

Burton played one game!!!!! Nathan Cleary had a disappointing season overall.

While Jimmy came here on a three year deal he was only ever staying for the two and his move to Catalans was something worked out well in advance as I posted in April last year well before his move was announced.

You and other’s seem to want to insulate Matt Moylan and absolve him from criticism. Moylan in 2016 was outstanding, that was his season, he deserved his SOO and Kangaroo selections. Sadly however that was it, one season. Jimmy delivered for each and every NRL team he played for almost 250 appearances and represented the NSW Blue with distinction.

James Maloney will be remembered fondly as a great of the game while Matt Moylan will largely be forgotten if he hasn’t already and that is sad because Moylan should have been capable of more but he lacked the intestinal fortitude and dedication required to be a top player.

Latest posts