What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

betcats

Referee
Parra don’t look a top four side at all it’s only round 1 but I think they’ll will be the same flat track bullies as last year, last night they came up against an under strength dogs side who didn’t just rollover defensively and parra had nothing, the dogs didn’t play well they made a terrible amount of errors and gifted parra plenty of chances, they were determined defensively though. That forward pack isn’t great, rcg and paulo as your starting props are two big slow dudes with bigger reputations than performances most of the time. Matterson is a good player so is lane I line their edge forwards actually and Nathan Brian runs hard and can be inspiring but he’s nothing special. Nikiure and Terepo off the bench are great but that is balanced out by the shitness of Evans.
Honestly the hooker is this guy I liked the most from Parra.

Edit: and 8-2, what a shot game to open the season with. The nrl has f**ked it’s self into becoming a boring defensive slog, the product isnt good anymore imo.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Edit: and 8-2, what a shot game to open the season with. The nrl has f**ked it’s self into becoming a boring defensive slog, the product isnt good anymore imo.
The round isn't over, the other clashes of cowboys v bronx, manly v storm, and us v rorters will be good, im actually interested to see how titans knights and shark go too, with the new coaches and drama in the shire

OldPanther

Coach
Parra don’t look a top four side at all it’s only round 1 but I think they’ll will be the same flat track bullies as last year, last night they came up against an under strength dogs side who didn’t just rollover defensively and parra had nothing, the dogs didn’t play well they made a terrible amount of errors and gifted parra plenty of chances, they were determined defensively though. That forward pack isn’t great, rcg and paulo as your starting props are two big slow dudes with bigger reputations than performances most of the time. Matterson is a good player so is lane I line their edge forwards actually and Nathan Brian runs hard and can be inspiring but he’s nothing special. Nikiure and Terepo off the bench are great but that is balanced out by the shitness of Evans.
Honestly the hooker is this guy I liked the most from Parra.

Both teams showed up keen for a win. Bit underdone due to being round one but it's that mental attitude that'll have them going good once they get a few games to iron out the kinks.

franklin2323

Immortal

I have said this for a few seasons now that the standard is poor. Very noticeable when you watch the games on Kayo from the mid 00’s. A couple of Panthers ones are awesome plenty of tries and action.

I think the NRL are trying with the new rules to open games up. It is up to teams to roll the dice though

betcats

Referee
I have said this for a few seasons now that the standard is poor. Very noticeable when you watch the games on Kayo from the mid 00’s. A couple of Panthers ones are awesome plenty of tries and action.

I think the NRL are trying with the new rules to open games up. It is up to teams to roll the dice though

Any changes they are trying to implement won’t work with Greenberg there. He is to reactive to negative criticism from the media, they were on this track a couple years ago but a few people bagged them so they gave up on it mid season.

betcats

Referee
Both teams showed up keen for a win. Bit underdone due to being round one but it's that mental attitude that'll have them going good once they get a few games to iron out the kinks.

Ueah they will both get better but imo parra just aren’t going to be the premiership threat they are being talked up as. The dogs will be a bottom four side for sure.

franklin2323

Immortal
Any changes they are trying to implement won’t work with Greenberg there. He is to reactive to negative criticism from the media, they were on this track a couple years ago but a few people bagged them so they gave up on it mid season.

I think the 20/40 and choosing the scrum will help create unpredictability. Him going would be the best thing that could happen

franklin2323

Immortal
Ueah they will both get better but imo parra just aren’t going to be the premiership threat they are being talked up as. The dogs will be a bottom four side for sure.

Parra have the worst coach in the comp. so will do nothing while he is there

betcats

Referee
Lot's of stones being thrown around here.
Always dangerous, especially when we've yet to show our hand.

Pretty sure the same thing happened last year, and we all know how that went.

Nothing said here will affect how we go tomorrow. There’s no danger.

mxlegend99

Referee
Waqa Blake had off-season shoulder surgery and missed nearly the full pre-season. Took no part in trials either. According to twitter he only returned to the training field 2 weeks ago.

He will take a bit to get match fitness back. The biggest issue with him was always injury. He seems to go down quiet a lot. Even last night he was hobbling around for a bit. It's shit to see injuries, but aslso relieving when players injury concerns are maintained when leaving (ie Moylan, Blake etc.). Because when Flash was here he was slways injured and yet barely missed a game after leaving us. That one cut deep as he would have all sorts of records for us if not for injuries

The Blake / DWZ interaction was funny. Blake looked to want to joke fight with DWZ. While DWZ was in a bad mood and just wanted him to f**k off. After that pathetic hail mary play from his halves I dont blame him for being filthy either. Looks like they cant score outside of a high school.

betcats

Referee
Waqa Blake had off-season shoulder surgery and missed nearly the full pre-season. Took no part in trials either. According to twitter he only returned to the training field 2 weeks ago.

He will take a bit to get match fitness back. The biggest issue with him was always injury. He seems to go down quiet a lot. Even last night he was hobbling around for a bit. It's shit to see injuries, but aslso relieving when players injury concerns are maintained when leaving (ie Moylan, Blake etc.). Because when Flash was here he was slways injured and yet barely missed a game after leaving us. That one cut deep as he would have all sorts of records for us if not for injuries

The Blake / DWZ interaction was funny. Blake looked to want to joke fight with DWZ. While DWZ was in a bad mood and just wanted him to f**k off. After that pathetic hail mary play from his halves I dont blame him for being filthy either. Looks like they cant score outside of a high school.

Blake didn’t look bad on the ball Like he was underdone or anything, he just has never been a guy to go looking for the ball when it wasn’t coming to him, he can have quiet games a lot because of that.

betcats

Referee
IMO Dallin and Waqa's performances last night are what you can expect from them most weeks. Im not saying that to knock them cause neither of them were bad.

Dallin at fullback is going to give you 180-200m most weeks with solid fullback play and very strong kick returns, he showed a nice passing game last night also. With that comes his errors and the occasional brain explosion.

Ive seen Waqas numbers from last night and without checking his career averages id bet they are bang on. He is capable of a lot more but most weeks a solid performance like last night is what you will get from him.

age.s

First Grade

Could see them doing what they did last year. Hot and cold in the extreme. They're always capable of a bludger of a performance. Their performance vs us at Bankwest was among the worst I've seen a team play in years. They also utterly demolished the Broncos in the finals.

They could be dangerous if they can scratch out wins when they're not playing well (like they did last night).

betcats

Referee
Could see them doing what they did last year. Hot and cold in the extreme. They're always capable of a bludger of a performance. Their performance vs us at Bankwest was among the worst I've seen a team play in years. They also utterly demolished the Broncos in the finals.

They could be dangerous if they can scratch out wins when they're not playing well (like they did last night).

They are capable of amazing performances no doubt. Their 2 finals games last year very much summed up who they were for the season, front runners. When they get their confidence up and a team isn’t matching their intensity they are an incredible attacking team. But if you come to play against them they can struggle. By the finals that Brisbane team was brittle and parra no doubt destroyed them but they had a real test the next week and couldn’t compete.

Fair point that they ground it out last night but it was against a team playing just as poorly as they were.