What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

Munky

Coach
Not completely related to the thread title but anyway.

So after reading the posts about Martin Lang in the Cordner thread in the NRL forum and is one way running style I thought of a lower grade winger Daniel King who ran harder than anyone I've seen live. Once completely legally pole axed an opposition centre who had a two on one overlap who executed a perfect draw and late pass. The opposition scored but the centre was stretchered off.

Decided to Google him to try and find some of my posts from over a decade ago about him and this came up:

Pretty crazy and sad where are they now.

Edit: Found a post from Aug 2005:

Unfortunately Daniel King is out injured (I think) for Penrith.

I love watching this guy play, my fave player in all grades actually.

He's a fullback but runs like Marty Lang and get knocked out just as often and he pole axes the opposition in defence.

Last edited:
Everyone was worried about Martie Lang because all the world saw that bashing his head in became some kind of sick ritual.

For me anyway, it got very hard to watch him because of other players feral conduct.

Players thought they had to tackle high because he was too big and too threatening.

Adam Ritson was another player who copped the same treatment.

Martie was the son of John Lang, one of the pioneers of facilitating the passage of Islanders into the game, who selected sides on merit and who believed in loyalty and honour.

In all his time in the game, John Lang never once sung his own praises or talked himself up and was uber intelligent despite his tough exterior.

A proper Panther.

It would be an honour to meet John and pick his brains about the game and the more wondrous of his life experiences.

Girds89

Bench
Neither are at this point. Was a cap move id say

Burns is fg quality. Has a few things to fine tune but hes brilliant hole runner. Hed be our best whole runner in our fg side too.

Hes ability to change direction as a pass is being delivered is brilliant. Not many players can do that.

Hes quick for a 2nd rower. Can play 80 and has an offload.

Has to fine to the brain lapses but ability wise hes a long long long way ahead of blacker.

Couldnt have been cap related. Burns and blacker both wouldve been on minimum.

Pretty poor recruitment

Smug Panther

First Grade
Burns is fg quality. Has a few things to fine tune but hes brilliant hole runner. Hed be our best whole runner in our fg side too.

Hes ability to change direction as a pass is being delivered is brilliant. Not many players can do that.

Has to fine to the brain lapses but ability wise hes a long long long way ahead of blacker.

Pretty poor recruitment
I'll happily take Tago on the bench over him

Girds89

Bench
He hits the line similiar to how burton does. Burton has the ability to change direction whilst pass is in the air. Its a special skill and why hes been so good at centre.

Martin is a good line runner but he certainly doesnt share burns agility and ability to change direction.

Smug Panther

First Grade
He hits the line similiar to how burton does. Burton has the ability to change direction whilst pass is in the air. Its a special skill and why hes been so good at centre.

Martin is a good line runner but he certainly doesnt share burns agility and ability to change direction.
Martin is a prop going forward. Might still be able to play backrow for a year or 2 at most

Girds89

Bench
Martin is a prop going forward. Might still be able to play backrow for a year or 2 at most

Dont see why he needs to go fromt row. He best game of the year last night easily in 2nd row. Hes young, not going to lose speed or leg drive any time soon. Hes good at front row but better at 2nd row.

If the club do plan to play him front row it makes the decision to let go of burns all the more terrible!! Especially given capewell is likely gone in next 12-18 months

Kilkenny

Coach

Pretty poor recruitment
Was hoping to see something from Blacker today, but despite being a seriously big unit, he simply doesn’t look likely to play NRL.

Girds89

Bench
Was hoping to see something from Blacker today, but despite being a seriously big unit, he simply doesn’t look likely to play NRL.

Nowhere near mobile enough. Gassed after 5 mins. Hopefully we only signed him till end of this season as thats a waste of top 30 spot for someone with realisticslly no nrl hope for us

DinkyDi

Juniors
Nowhere near mobile enough. Gassed after 5 mins. Hopefully we only signed him till end of this season as thats a waste of top 30 spot for someone with realisticslly no nrl hope for us
One would hope that after a full preseason Blacker will be fitter, and he will fit in.

Kilkenny

Coach
One would hope that after a full preseason Blacker will be fitter, and he will fit in.
I don’t want to write him off, he is a big body, but he just looks way off the pace to suceed at NRL level. I’ve made the effort to watch our last couple of NSW Cup games but I don’t see it happening.

DinkyDi

Juniors
I don’t want to write him off, he is a big body, but he just looks way off the pace to suceed at NRL level. I’ve made the effort to watch our last couple of NSW Cup games but I don’t see it happening.
You have just contradicted yourself.

Kilkenny

Coach
You have just contradicted yourself.
Not at all.

I am a frequent spectator at our NSW Cup, Flegg and junior rep games. Have been for many years.

I want the guy to suceed. We need depth in the front row. He has attributes, particularly his size, I’m just not convinced he has the motor, and if you watch his limited minutes you may see what I see.