What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

OldPanther

Coach
Moylan being named captain wasn’t a form of punishment. It’s the biggest honour you can have at a club, especially being a local junior of that club. The whole notion of Hook not liking him from the start goes out the window with that one call.

If you’re a professional footballer, getting paid over $500k, getting your head constantly on TV & you get appointed captain of your local club, even if it’s not your desired role, you should have the mental capacity to deal with it or at least try to learn how to deal with it.

Definitely don't think it started that way. It clearly degraded over time. They'd have to be pretty petty to do the hate at first sight thing.

TheFrog

Coach
Griffin did assume responsibility for Moylan leaving the club so whatever methods he used were unsuccessful.

mxlegend99

Referee
This is the first time I've ever seen this claimed anywhere.
I don't recall where I heard or read it. I think it was on NRL360. I'll try to find it though.

Basically they said Moylan never wanted the responsibility of bein captain, nor felt comfortable as captain. Many around the club thought it was a mistake and that the pressure would be too miuch for him. That he was a quiet and shy kind of guy. Not a leader or talker.

Hook made that decision and then held Matt Moylan personally responsible forhow the team played as he was the captain. If the team was playing shit. He wouldn't tear them down. He would tear Matt Moylan down infront of them. The relationship had been breaking down since 2016. Different sources touched on this since then when talking sbout a rift between them. But never in that detail.

mxlegend99

Referee
Found the article... which isny pro anyone really. Saying both teams won from the trade:

Moyza. Great nickname. Great rugby leaguenickname.

It fits Matt Moylan so perfectly, with a nod to his humble working-class beginnings and, like all great rugby league nicknames, it ends in a vowel.

Moyzaaaaaaaa …

Moyza is one of the boys. That’s why it hurt so much in April last year when he suspected some of his Penrith teammates notified coach Anthony Griffin he’d gone for a few sneaky beers when told not to after the 28-6 loss to the Storm in Melbourne.

Moylan, along with Waqa Blake and Peta Hiku, were subsequently dumped to NSW Cup.

He was also slammed by Griffin and general manager Phil Gould because those extra Golden Gatorades had followed a defeat in which Moylan’s defence had been half-hearted and he was all over the place in attack.

It was the beginning of the end between Moylan and Griffin and the club, ultimately leading to his off-season departure to Cronulla.

It’s easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend. Even less so if it’s a teammate.

Whether it was warranted or not, it was the poison that divided the Penrith squad last season. It didn't help that many were losing faith in the coach at the same time. Is it any coincidence Tyrone Peachey wants to backflip on his Titans deal just weeks after Griffin has been sacked?

It was Griffin’s decision last year to make Moylan captain instead of Peter Wallace — not Gould's.

Anybody who knew Moylan knew it was a mistake. Moylan is barely an enthusiastic talker in social circles, let alone in the dressing-room, let alone in a media conference, let alone a corporate function.

He’s a throwback to a simpler time when players chugged down a few mid-week schooners and chained ciggies in the poker machine room at the Leagues Club, as Moylan was often seen doing.

Griffin felt betrayed when Moylan wanted out after he was stood down for the finals because of mental issues Moylan believed he never had. Ths coach reckoned he’d stood by him more than anyone else at the club.

What was conveniently forgotten was that Griffin would single out and direct his anger at Moylan at halftime and after matches because he was the captain, something he never wanted to be. He'd told Griffin he didn't want to be captain but he made him captain anyway.

That is absolute madness.

Then, after we were all told in November last year there would be no swap between Moylan and Sharks five-eighth James Maloney, there was a swap between Moylan and Maloney.

Moylan’s preference had been to head to Manly and play under former Penrith assistant coach Trent Barrett.

Penrith were reluctant to sign Maloney for precisely the same reason he’d fallen out with Sharks coach Shane Flanagan: he’s a headstrong little bugger who is more than prepared to question and argue.

Having been part of two premierships at two clubs, he might be worth listening to.

When Cronulla made the first approach, Penrith were cool on the idea. Problematic to the situation was that Gould doesn’t have a particularly high opinion of Flanagan.

But business is business and it’s all worked out in the end.

Some believe Friday night’s semi-final between the two teams at Allianz Stadium will decide which of them got the better deal from the swap.

How ridiculous. Both teams have benefited.

Maloney has fired at the Panthers and was arguably NSW’s most influential player in their Origin series win.

As for Moyza, he’s playing in his preferred position of five-eighth instead of fullback, seemingly loving life, playing footy and just being one of the boys again.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-fallout-that-s-firing-matt-moyza-moylan-20180913-p503g8.html

Pretty sure Webster was on one of the footy shows saying the same thing. Im sure I saw it on one of the shows last week. But maybe it was just this article I was thinking of.

franklin2323

Immortal
Found the article... which isny pro anyone really. Saying both teams won from the trade:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-fallout-that-s-firing-matt-moyza-moylan-20180913-p503g8.html

Pretty sure Webster was on one of the footy shows saying the same thing. Im sure I saw it on one of the shows last week. But maybe it was just this article I was thinking of.

I don't think we win those games we did without Cleary and Moylan instead of Maloney. I don't think the Sharks go any further with Maloney instead of Moylan so I agree

flash

Juniors
With nothing much to support on GF day, looks like the former panthers playing will probably be Mason Cerruto, Chris Smith, Sam Anderson, and Glasby.

TheFrog

Coach
Not the NRL, but Jarrod Sammut, who last played for us in 2009, scored all points for the London Broncos (4 of them, 2 goals) in the tryless Million Pound Game against Toronto Wolfpack that puts the Broncos back in the Super League. Not sure Sammut will be there next year though.

franklin2323

Immortal
He carved up at half in 2018 and eliminated us from the finals. If he moves to fullback its not because he isn't a half. It's because Holmes left them with little choice but to move him or Dugan.

Moylan is a 6 capable of playing 1.

So why sign Johnson then? If the halves are set then you'd go after an outside back to move Dugan

Wookies&Cream

Juniors
SJ is inconsistent. Moylan is inconsistent. Put them together and you've got a team that can be flogged by 40 or win by 40 to the same opposition.

He carved up at half in 2018 and eliminated us from the finals. If he moves to fullback its not because he isn't a half. It's because Holmes left them with little choice but to move him or Dugan.

Moylan is a 6 capable of playing 1.

We know Moylan only plays 4 games a year. 2 vs us and 2 vs Newcastle. He went missing and was found out during the Melbourne game. Even versing us he had a fair bit of luck. His kick wasn't deep enough and they scored off a bat backwards to no defence present. Of course there was Maloneys too

OldPanther

Coach
I rate Moylan as a FB. So I think so too BUT if you are certain he is a 5/8th then the move makes no sense

I prefer him at 6 but would take him at fullback over Dugan.

SJ is inconsistent. Moylan is inconsistent. Put them together and you've got a team that can be flogged by 40 or win by 40 to the same opposition.

We know Moylan only plays 4 games a year. 2 vs us and 2 vs Newcastle. He went missing and was found out during the Melbourne game. Even versing us he had a fair bit of luck. His kick wasn't deep enough and they scored off a bat backwards to no defence present. Of course there was Maloneys too

Also have to remember Jr Flanno. Surely he gets a run soon.

mxlegend99

Referee
So why sign Johnson then? If the halves are set then you'd go after an outside back to move Dugan
Because they lost Holmes and have a lot of cash to spend. They signed Moylan to replace Maloney. Does tgat mean Maloney is also not a half?

That's absurd reasoning to say hes not a half. They lost a star player and are trying to replace him with one. They will worry about numbers on jerseys later.

Moylan proved he himself as a half. Attack. Defence. Kicking game. He was as good or better then many halves in his first nearly full season at 6.

Latest posts