What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

You cant know any of that. You're just speculating in a way at suits your outlook. All we know is a guy who was pernially in reserve grade got catapulted into a starting opportunity he almost certainly would not have gotten here behind Mansour and DWZ. Maybe he impressed the Eels in a way we should have been impressed by him earlier. Maybe something else was at play. Either way comparing a starting winger with reserve graders isn't fair.

I'm not convinced he's better than our wingers atm anyway. It's hardly a massive loss at this point.

Of course I’m speculating, hence the words I used.

you also can’t know the eels would’ve promised him a starting spot.

he also wasn’t perennially in reserve grade, he’d only just started playing reserve grade. He’d moved up from St Mary’s.

age.s

First Grade
Of course I’m speculating, hence the words I used.

you also can’t know the eels would’ve promised him a starting spot.

he also wasn’t perennially in reserve grade, he’d only just started playing reserve grade. He’d moved up from St Mary’s.

I never said he was promised anything. I said he started the year in first grade and it's not reasonable to compare him to reserve graders in 2019. That's it.

Looks like we’re a feeder club for the Bulldogs, Eels, Sharks and the Titans.

Now the Titans aren’t content in having Cartwright, Latu and Peachey. They have yet another ex-Panther in Justin Holbrook coaching them!

Fangs

Coach
Looks like we’re a feeder club for the Bulldogs, Eels, Sharks and the Titans.

Now the Titans aren’t content in having Cartwright, Latu and Peachey. They have yet another ex-Panther in Justin Holbrook coaching them!

I think I might remember his panthers debut. Did he replace Matt Rodwell at halfback? We got toweled at home.

Last edited:
Here it is:

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matches/1623

Not his debut though.

I remember being told he was a much better halfback than Rodwell. I think he attempted a chip and chase. Then I never saw him play again.

Damn I was there for that game. Terrible day.
What infuriated me was one of the Dragons fans running through the crowd on the hill towards the end of the game, waving a big arse Red V flag.

2001 was an absolute shit year for us

Here it is:

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matches/1623

Not his debut though.

I remember being told he was a much better halfback than Rodwell. I think he attempted a chip and chase. Then I never saw him play again.

Ew I just got a bad memories from 2001 all over again. The spoon, the thrashings and our only signing for the upcoming 2001 season was Justin Holbrook.

Carter's farewell the 2nd last game of the year is probably the only game I can look back well on. That and beating the chooks twice earlier in the year.

Kilkenny

Coach
There’s no one coming through that has his X factor, very few do.

It was worth a gamble for a top 30 spot, hardly any risk involved.

I agree 100% there was no risk involved in respect retaining Sivo on the same money that he was afforded by the Eels.

It was plain silly to retain Philips and bring back MWZ when Sivo clearly had more upside even allowing for the obvious concerns around his lack of game smarts.

I don’t agree with your assessment of us having no players coming through with X factor there is clearly two or three kids who can deliver the X factor in the next season or two you just need to go an watch a few CC or Jersey Flegg games to see the talent coming thru.

Ew I just got a bad memories from 2001 all over again. The spoon, the thrashings and our only signing for the upcoming 2001 season was Justin Holbrook.

Carter's farewell the 2nd last game of the year is probably the only game I can look back well on. That and beating the chooks twice earlier in the year.

I remember Carter’s last game. Penrith actually won that night. From memory we flogged either the Tigers or Cowboys. It was Craig Greenhill’s last home game as well and I remember him “stealing” the mascot Claw’s motorised scooter and riding it around the field after the match.

And yes it was one of those seasons where we owned the Roosters, despite our position on the table.

Kilkenny

Coach
Wade Graham certainly fulfilled his undoubted potential after leaving the Panthers.

Shame but it happens I guess.

OldPanther

Coach
Would he have reached the same heights here? They made him pack on weight and play in the back row. Would he have the same career here as we might not do that.

Kilkenny

Coach
Would he have reached the same heights here? They made him pack on weight and play in the back row. Would he have the same career here as we might not do that.

Wade Graham has reached the heights of his current status based on merit, from his own footballing ability. That ability was evident from Matts to Ball to the top grade at a young age. Matt Elliot just didn’t quite know where to play Wade or how best to use him but in Elliot’s defence Wade was still very young when he was still with us. He was a back rower with a five eight’s body when he was still with us. Not an excuse for us but we just didn’t have the patience at the time to get the best from Wade and as history has showed we are much the poorer for it.

Kilkenny

Coach
Sharkies are winners for the most part over the last 5 years. We aren't

That’s all fine and dandy but they should have been stripped of there GF win given there systematic cheating of the salary cap and other issues so I’m not sure how you come to the conclusion you draw.

Are you condoning the sort of cheating they were responsible for to achieve success.

Maybe it is just me but I want us to win our next premiership on merit and not as a result of salary cap cheating or other illegal means. Just me I guess you are obviously different.

Last edited:

Latest posts