What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

Fangs

Coach
Does Hook eat babies too? FMD.

That would be a start.

Re Moylan. As a fan I'm a little disappointed his game hasn't improved much. Coaches play a role but the cream always rises to the top. Still quite injury prone and his general apathy at fullback has plagued him his whole career.

Will he ever play rep football again? I'm not sure but he should be a regular by now. 28 years old. He has got to be better.

TheFrog

Coach
Hook liked to tear the captain down infront of the team.
Where did you hear this?

Re Moylan. As a fan I'm a little disappointed his game hasn't improved much.
It hasn't improved at all. He's gone from 10 matchwinning efforts in 2016 down to three or four last year and none this year. And I would love to see him do well also, only not against us.

Abacus

Juniors
Funny thing is even in shit form he has 4 try assists in his past 2 games. He was injured for a while and I think injury rehab is where he truly lets himself and his team down.

But his issues with Hook went beyond his training. Hook liked to tear the captain down infront of the team. Moylan is clearly not the type of person who responds to that sort of treatment.

Hook didnt know how to work with different personalities. So he clashed with many guys. A coach like Bennett can be a hard ass yet he knows how to work with different player types. Moylan needs a coach like him. He worked well with Boyd and also works well with Roberts.
I'm becoming more convinced that Moylan has peaked. As players get older, training becomes more important as natural ability can start to wane. Elite natural players with poor attitude to training tend to have shorter careers, basically because they've never had to train to be competitive and can't be f**ked changing their mindset when their natural ability doesn't get them as far as it used to.

No doubt Moylan will still have very good/great games in future (usually against the Panthers) but I expect them to be fewer and farther between.

franklin2323

Immortal
That would be a start.

Re Moylan. As a fan I'm a little disappointed his game hasn't improved much. Coaches play a role but the cream always rises to the top. Still quite injury prone and his general apathy at fullback has plagued him his whole career.

Will he ever play rep football again? I'm not sure but he should be a regular by now. 28 years old. He has got to be better.

Playing under a coach who is one of the boys does that

mxlegend99

Referee
Where did you hear this?
Was reported well and truly before he left us. After a quick search I foubd this article from after he left us:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-fallout-that-s-firing-matt-moyza-moylan-20180913-p503g8.html

Anybody who knew Moylan knew it was a mistake. Moylan is barely an enthusiastic talker in social circles, let alone in the dressing-room, let alone in a media conference, let alone a corporate function.

He’s a throwback to a simpler time when players chugged down a few mid-week schooners and chained ciggies in the poker machine room at the Leagues Club, as Moylan was often seen doing.

Griffin felt betrayed when Moylan wanted out after he was stood down for the finals because of mental issues Moylan believed he never had. Ths coach reckoned he’d stood by him more than anyone else at the club.

What was conveniently forgotten was that Griffin would single out and direct his anger at Moylan at halftime and after matches because he was the captain, something he never wanted to be. He'd told Griffin he didn't want to be captain but he made him captain anyway.

There were other articles and references to it on NRL360. But this was the first thing that popped up.

TheFrog

Coach
Re Moylan. As a fan I'm a little disappointed his game hasn't improved much.
He hasn't been a Panther for awhile but Gavin Cooper plays his 300th game this weekend.
Overshadowed by Smith no doubt but even Benji has cracked a mention for his 300th (weekend after next I think, NRL stats site has him on 298). Another extremely durable footballer and a true warhorse. Benji won the 2005 premiership in his 40th match, Cooper debuted the following year and now beats Benji to 300.

TheFrog

Coach
Was reported well and truly before he left us. After a quick search I foubd this article from after he left us:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-fallout-that-s-firing-matt-moyza-moylan-20180913-p503g8.html

There were other articles and references to it on NRL360. But this was the first thing that popped up.
I think it's commonly accepted that they didn't get on. There were probably better choices as captain at the time. Where was Gus in all of this it has to be asked, if Moylan really didn't want the captaincy. I call bullshit on Moylan being an unwilling captain from the start. Maybe if Matt had listened and followed advice a bit more his career wouldn't be on the downward trajectory it seems to be on now.

OldPanther

Coach
I call bullshit on Moylan being an unwilling captain from the start. Maybe if Matt had listened and followed advice a bit more his career wouldn't be on the downward trajectory it seems to be on now.

We'll you have been very vocal in support of Griffin so it's not surprising.

betcats

Referee
I think it's commonly accepted that they didn't get on. There were probably better choices as captain at the time. Where was Gus in all of this it has to be asked, if Moylan really didn't want the captaincy. I call bullshit on Moylan being an unwilling captain from the start. Maybe if Matt had listened and followed advice a bit more his career wouldn't be on the downward trajectory it seems to be on now.

I call bullshit on Moylan refusing to play, that's ridiculous there is no way a player flat out refused to play in the finals. I mean maybe if hook had of listened to advice and been willing to work with Gus and his assistants(basically anyone) his coaching career wouldn't be on the downward trajectory it is currently on.

Refusing to play is a breach of contract its rubbish.

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
I call bullshit on Moylan refusing to play, that's ridiculous there is no way a player flat out refused to play in the finals. I mean maybe if hook had of listened to advice and been willing to work with Gus and his assistants(basically anyone) his coaching career wouldn't be on the downward trajectory it is currently on.
The accepted position (ie Gus's version) is that he was put into some sort of rehab program to deal with whatever malaise he was suffering. Seemed like depression. Could have been (most likely was) inability to get along with the boss. He was a willing participant and the people running the program decided when he could play, which time never came because we were eliminated. Might be all a load of tosh, we'll never know until Moylan, Griffin or Gus put out a book. And that might be tosh as well. Griffin did later concede that he handled Moylan poorly.

Griffin will get a job. 58% wins always gets a job.

betcats

Referee
The accepted position (ie Gus's version) is that he was put into some sort of rehab program to deal with whatever malaise he was suffering. Seemed like depression. Could have been (most likely was) inability to get along with the boss. He was a willing participant and the people running the program decided when he could play, which time never came because we were eliminated. Might be all a load of tosh, we'll never know until Moylan, Griffin or Gus put out a book. And that might be tosh as well. Griffin did later concede that he handled Moylan poorly.

Griffin will get a job. 58% wins always gets a job.

He might get a job from a desperate club like the Titans, that is his only chance. It will certainly be a worse job then his last two.

Kilkenny

Coach
I haven’t really watched a lot of Moylan this season but have watched both of the Sharks two recent games against the Bulldogs and Bronco’s and Moylan has been very poor.

The Sharks fan’s are really giving him a hard time at present to the extent they apparently sarcastically cheered him when he caught a ball on the weekend.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion on Matt Moylan, but in my opinion Moylan let us down when we needed him. I don’t think he has the dedication, desire or mental strength to be a consistent top quality player and his current dire form doesn’t really surprise me. No doubt he will have good games here and there but not the consistency required for someone who is being paid good money whatever it may be. I can see the Sharks attempting to offload at least one of either Moylan, Johnson or Dugan before there contracts end in 2021.

betcats

Referee
I hope he gets a job. Not my favourite coach but we did play finals every year.

He inherited a team that was in the prelim in 2014, he moved on Sowie, Seggy and a few others and eventually Moylan but it was a good squad.. We added Merrin, Tamou, Maloney(all current rep players when signed) in his time here amongst others, he underachieved imo.

OldPanther

Coach
He inherited a team that was in the prelim in 2014, he moved on Sowie, Seggy and a few others and eventually Moylan but it was a good squad.. We added Merrin, Tamou, Maloney(all current rep players when signed) in his time here amongst others, he underachieved imo.

Fair point. Everyone praised his discipline and fitness, Titans could use him.