What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forum 7s Future

Willow

Assistant Moderator
First up, I think there are some excellent posts in this thread. A few stuck out proving that the passion of the F7s is alive and well.

But one or two negative comments as well. Of course every one is entitled to their opinion.

My advice is to recruit new players from the forums, use your locker room, communicate regularly, and help each other out.

For every match, communication is paramount - make sure everyone in the team (including reserves) knows the detail.

As a captain or senior player, you can't just post a team, tell everyone to post and then walk away. You have to monitor replies in the locker room, if neccessary create discussion and send PMs. Occasionally, I even send SMS messages and phone people. I have found that players don't mind the reminders.

players need to be assigned to sides
Sorry, but I can't see how that would work.

Pretty sure you've made this suggestion before. I recall you being unhappy with teams that get all five posts in, and saying how it is 'unfair'?

I understand how you might want to see the talent spread more evenly, but there is a fundamental flaw in your suggestion:

How can you possibly tell someone where to play? This is not the AFL, it is the F7s.

Who decides? What happens when players leave the F7s because they are forced to play with a different team?

Your idea sounds like poaching sanctioned by a rule. I'm all for helping out other teams with players - I do it all the time. But rather than expecting this, and make it mandatory for other teams to provide you with a squad, may I suggest you simply work harder at recruiting more new players?

i don't think its about the rugby league writing and to be honest i am struggling to come up with a topic every week regardless of the big issues in the game we always write about the same thing just with different slants on the topic.
You don't have to write purely about rugby league, just make sure it is rugby league related. With a little imagination, it's pretty diverse subject matter.

For exmaple, you could write about launching a spaceship and travelling to Mars if the crew were made of your favourite league players.

If that doesn't gel, well just pick up the paper and write about the latest breaking news. There's something new happening in the game every second day.
I also think we should cut squad limits back too so we get a even distribution of players around the game.
On the surface it sounds counter productive.

We already have a 15 player cap. Are you suggesting that we cut this back to a lesser number?

IMO, it would mean less new players being introduced to the game. ie more teams with less players in the squad. Such a policy would probably just replace the 5v4 games with more 4v3 games.

If anything, we should be lifting the cap - ie abolish it. That's my 'radical change' - and I can explain how it will benefit the F7s as a whole.

It can only result in more players being introduced to the game. If say three teams each have a 20 player squad, some of these players would move to other teams where they think they might be more needed. And I believe a climate could develop where the majority of captains would do the right thing by recommending players to other teams, but you can't force these things on anyone.

When the 15 player cap was introduced, it was done to stop players being poached from other teams. There was a degree of recklessness going on from a couple of captains and it was causing problems. For example, some players complaining that they were lured away only to be kept on the sidelines. One captain was treating players like currency, and it was creating some negative vibes.

I was a supporter of the 15 player cap at the time because I thought it would put a stop to putting players off the game. But it was different then. It is my view that captains nowadays are far more thoughtful and far more cooperative.

From a Bluebags point of view, we just had to let a veteran player go because he wanted to take the year off. We were at the cap limit and a newbie wanted to join, so I had to cut a loyal player from the squad. The reason why we're at the cap limit is purely because we have been working very hard to bring new players into the competition. The price we paid was to sideline a player who might have been able to play in the semis. But thems the rules.

For the record, a third of the players in the Bluebags squad have never played F7s before. They didn't just materialise, they were sought out and introduced to the game. Some will kick on, some won't. IMO, it is essential that each captain try to bring as many new players as possible into the competition every year.

On a personal note, I find it quite rewarding to see a player I have approached or introduced to the F7s doing well, with or without the Bluebags. A number of them end up in othe teams. Of course we play to win. But at the end of the day, it's all about playing the game.

I also might add that we have a top five semis cut off, thus giving more teams a chance. Once you make the semis, anything can happen.

So never give up. On their day, any team can beat any other team in the comp.

We even have the added difficulty that most of the Newtown squad are also Dragons supporters.
lol Dubo, you've said this before in the Dragons forum. Hey, I let it go through to the keeper once, but not twice.

Firstly, the formation and recruitment of the current F7s Dragons was done by me, gorilla and Rexxy. As members of the more established Newtown side, we saw it as a positive for the F7s if a Dragons side was in the comp. We approached fellow forummers and got the ball rolling. After that it was up to you guys.

Secondly, some former Bluebags have been playing in the Dragons. Plus, as you well know, I have recently made suggestions to you regarding recruiting a player and offered to help.

Mate, you have a huge backyard there in the Dragons forum. How big is the Newtown forum? ;-)
plus a few members who we've successfully recruited are ignoring message or currently serving forum-based bans.
Might be able to help here NT. I understand that two (?) members were banned but asked to be allowed back to play in the F7s. This was last year I think. Both players were un-banned and given access to the F7s. If that's the case, I'm pretty sure they weren't that committed to the F7s. If there's any others, please let me know so I can pass it onto Twizzle.

dubopov

Coach
lol Dubo, you've said this before in the Dragons forum. Hey, I let it go through to the keeper once, but not twice.

Firstly, the formation and recruitment of the current F7s Dragons was done by me, gorilla and Rexxy. As members of the more established Newtown side, we saw it as a positive for the F7s if a Dragons side was in the comp. We approached fellow forummers and got the ball rolling. After that it was up to you guys.

Secondly, some former Bluebags have been playing in the Dragons. Plus, as you well know, I have recently made suggestions to you regarding recruiting a player and offered to help.

Mate, you have a huge backyard there in the Dragons forum. How big is the Newtown forum? ;-)

Willow .. I wasn't complaining about Newtown .. I was pointing out to others that we have managed to get a team of F7 together despite the fact that a lot of Dragons supporters are already in another team. My point is that if the Captains of other teams approach regular posters who seem to have a talent for writing, they too can get a team together.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
All good dubo. I wasn't taking it that seriously, hence the wink. ;-)

Replied to your PM as well.

Titanic

First Grade
For exmaple, you could write about launching a spaceship and travelling to Mars if the crew were made of your favourite league players.

In the interests of preventing the referees short-circuiting, I suggest that this excellent topic should be banned so that next round 30 versions of the same theme don't appear. :D ex-maple or not :crazy:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lol. I think we can give that one away for free.

My next article might just be about netball, and how league players could handle it. ;-)

Suffice to say, 'rugby league related' are the key words. With emphasis on 'related'.

antonius

Coach
I think Willow hits it on the head. Captains need to communicate with their players. Getting five posts in isn't a matter of sticking up a team and then leaving them to it. Teams need to use the locker rooms to toss ideas around, check each others articles, suggest subjects, and so on. It's all about being a team and helping each other. I would bet the successful sides are the ones that do this. I know from last year with the Warriors that's how it operated and our locker room was buzzing before game time.
As for reducing squads the same applies. When I first played the game it was seven posts per team per match. We only had seven members, guess what? by staying tight and encouraging each other we got seven in each week and made the finals.

If you help each other it will improve your scores, increase the enjoyment for everyone and make your players eager to be part of it. Praise and and encouragement is a wonderful thing.
Here endeth the sermon LOL.

Azkatro

First Grade
Just wanted to add something to this thread too. In 2003/04 I think Timbo actually arranged a one-off F7's match with Cricket as the topic, and I was captain of the other team. Even though there was a fair bit of interest, the cricket season was in full swing, and cricket is arguably the second most supported sport with regards to these forums - both teams weren't able to get all participants to post.

I think if it was opened up to other sports, the competition would actually become exponentially more flat and uninteresting. While it sounds more interesting in theory, I suspect what would happen is a lot more rehashing of old ideas in other sports. So much is happening in rugby league that there is always plenty of new stuff to write about, IMO. Writer's block is writer's block.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
with regards to the part about always writing about league, i think it is something that gives the competition character..

and, for those who struggle to think about league articles, think outside the square... there have been a couple of articles i've written which you could pretty much switch a few sentences and key words and it would be an article about another sport..

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Just wanted to add something to this thread too. In 2003/04 I think Timbo actually arranged a one-off F7's match with Cricket as the topic, and I was captain of the other team. Even though there was a fair bit of interest, the cricket season was in full swing, and cricket is arguably the second most supported sport with regards to these forums - both teams weren't able to get all participants to post.

I think if it was opened up to other sports, the competition would actually become exponentially more flat and uninteresting. While it sounds more interesting in theory, I suspect what would happen is a lot more rehashing of old ideas in other sports. So much is happening in rugby league that there is always plenty of new stuff to write about, IMO. Writer's block is writer's block.

It was in LU's cricket forum. Twizzle was involved, possibly Timbo as well. The idea had a lot of merit. I was asked to participate and I did play in the match.

It just didn't go past one game. But that doesn't mean it was a bad idea. If you want to write about F7s in another sport, we have lots of forums on LU where another F7s competition can be conducted. But it was meant to be a separate F7s comp.

FTR, there's nothing wrong with writing something about cricket in the rugby league F7s, but you just have to make a connection with rugby league. Up to the ref of course, but we all know about the rules and it being 'rugby league related'. I did so in my most recent article - there is a big reference to cricket amidst the comparisons and metaphors, but it is undoubtedly rugby league related.

Agree totally that writer's block is just one of those things - we all get it and will get it again regardless of the perceived subject matter.

murphyscreek

Coach
I guess nobody will believe me now when I say I thought up a story yesterday about League players flying to Uranus (not Mars) by spaceship.

Just on the topic and speaking as an absolute newbie to the comp. Firstly, I really like the format the way it is. Secondly, I like the fact that I've been playing in a team that seems to be in it's formative stage at the moment. If, through the good work of our Captain our team continues to develop and becomes a bit more of a force to be reckoned with, I'd be a bit miffed to be mandatorily move to another club. I could only assume that established players from the top clubs would feel the same.

My only other point would be it would seem to be common sense that the topic for the comp remains Rugby League related. It's the common theme that ties the various sub-forums together here. I love golf, but I could imagine writing a story on what to me (or a fellow golfer) would be an interesting and/or funny story about my hacking round last Saturday that would be a bore fest for a non-golfer.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Titanic

First Grade
I guess nobody will believe me now when I say I thought up a story yesterday about League players flying to Uranus (not Mars) by spaceship.

Geez Murph, I hope that's not a typo there i.e. flying to = flying up (with apologies to my team mate Titan Uranus).

murphyscreek

Coach
Geez Murph, I hope that's not a typo there i.e. flying to = flying up (with apologies to my team mate Titan Uranus).

I'm no expert but I was guessing you have to get there first (flying to) before you can launch any exploratory craft.

...Morticia...

Juniors
Two cents worth......

lesser sized squads less chance of getting enough artcles in on time.

cant force people to play in teams they dont want to, result - not having five artcles in on time because care factor related to that sqad is zero.

imagination, take a recent news story and give it your own twist. its worked in the past and means whoevers reffing these days dont get bored to tears with same sh*t different week.

its not hard and if all else fails in the writers block dept, pack up your laptop and disappear for months, years on end :lol:

bartman

Immortal
Re: The Panthers purple patch: How long do purple patches last. Considering we made the finals last year and are in the top half of the ladder now. Bit of a stretch that comment bart.

It was only 2006 when we played in the finals previously. and we only just missed out in 2007 and 2008.
Mate, you might have missed the context it was given in. The post was about how the Bluebags and Titans haven't missed a post, and all I was doing was saying that (like the Eels and many other teams) the Panthers have in the past three years (as far back as I checked).

It's not to do with results and reaching semis, it's about which teams obviously have systems of communication in place that the rest of us can aspire to. Wasn't meant to be a shot, if you read more into it than that then I guess that's your choice?

Titanic

First Grade
it's about which teams obviously have systems of communication in place that the rest of us can aspire to.

Yes, your right BM, our unique form of sign-language, a hybrid form rooted in smoke signaling and part fusion of semaphore and Morse Code should be bottled.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
We use jam tins and wool.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Why do you think the 'bags have so many Kiwis in our ranks?

roosterboy60

Juniors
It's a bit odd posting in here after all this time but I'd like to give my 2 cents on this as well, coming from a former Captain and who had a bit to do with the running of F7's.

Now, I want to make it clear I really haven't been following the game since I stopped playing however I was just having a read of this thread.

Firstly, whilst I understand Griffo's point of view - the Forum 7's (at least this version of it) was started off at Rleague and then moved here to be a comp which has articles written about Rugby League - nothing else and it must stay like that. That's what most people on this forum are interested in and most people who play the game are really interested in.

I do agree however that it can get a bit tiresome writing articles week in, week out. Especially when it's been quite a slow news week. Though it's not the sole reason I decided to pull out of the game a few years ago, it was a major factor.

In a sense playing this game is hard as for the most part, no-one has met each other and only know each other from online. Which makes it extremely hard for a Captain. This game is run on trust, you have to trust that your teammates are going to either post an article by the deadline or at least let you know with enough time to call someone else up.

I was lucky enough that in 2004 I had a group of people that were passionate about the game of both Rugby League and Forum 7's as I am. It is very very hard to run a team as I think most people who have ever captained a team would probably agree with. You can only do so much.

I really don't know how you can improve it in the sense that you don't always know who you can rely on but I think a lot of the time you can figure it quite quickly. I don't think cutting down the playing numbers is the right idea. I suggest that the best thing to do is get through the current season as best you can - and then have a look at what to do at the end of the season.

One suggestion though would be to try and get back some of the older players if they are still around (I don't visit LU as much as I should) as if they are anything like me they would be interested again. I decided to stop playing for many reasons, but purely because the ideas were fading and the passion was going. I would love to come back or captain a team now after a few years away as there are now a whole heap of things to write about and you do tend to get the passion back.

I don't know how many have come and gone in the last 6 years but I would almost guarantee that some of them would want to come back, like myself.

It's just my two cents worth - but I really do love this game and it would be a tragedy to see it fold, which in my opinion it never will.