What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forward numbers - when/why did they change?

The Observer

Staff member
The player numbers for the forwards used to be 8 for lock, 9 & 10 for second row, 11-13 for the front row, even up to the 80s. They reversed to the 13 (lock) to 8 (prop) after that. Does anyone know when and why the numbers were changed?

*Paul*

Juniors
1989. That's how every one else did it, even though it seems counter-intuitive.

I think they used to run the whole lot backward, rugby style.

innsaneink

Referee
I think they changed to bring it into line with the international way of jersey numbering....mid/early 80's id guess.

Wests is Best

Juniors
1000% it was for the start of the 1989 season. Pearce wore 13 against the Raiders in '89. Only Australian domestic competitions ever had the old numbering system. As said earlier the change was made to bring Australia into line with the other Rugby League playing nations.

LESStar58

Referee
Late 80's early 90s i'd say...

I was gonna say 89 but from the looks of things 88 is more the last year that system was in place...

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Actually the current international standard was RE-introduced in 1989, to bring it into line with the international standard, and the british domestic standard.

My father played as a boy in the same standard... it was changed to the 8=lock, 13= rop in the late 60's or early 70's, the changed back.

Union used to have fullback=1, prop=15 but changed it because RU forwards can't count that high.

sunny

1989 it was brought into winfield cup, but in test matches it was around for ages beforehand i think

The Preacher

First Grade
Kurt Angle said:
Actually the current international standard was RE-introduced in 1989, to bring it into line with the international standard, and the british domestic standard.

My father played as a boy in the same standard... it was changed to the 8=lock, 13= rop in the late 60's or early 70's, the changed back.

I started playing in '65 and the props, of which I was one, wore 11 &13.;-)

PARRA_FAN

Coach
sunny said:
1989 it was brought into winfield cup, but in test matches it was around for ages beforehand i think

There's footage of the 1982 Kangaroo Tour and Wayne Pearce is wearing 12, Price wearing 13, I think Les Boyd wearing 11.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
James_Hardie said:
In the UK, don't they now have squad numbers which they don't change throughout the season?

Thats only happened since Super League I think, you may recall the same thing happening in Australia in 1997.

Travis Norton for Canterbury was playing five eighth, wore the number 42.

sunny

i remember seeing footage from the '84 australia-poms test when ray price handed over his mantle as australian lock to pearce, he handed over his jersey to pearce after the game and it was the current numbering system.

Misty Bee

First Grade
The current numbering (eg hooker = 9) was adopted in Australia and NZ to bring it in line with Europe. Only in tests on the Kangaroo tour were the current numbers used. Tests in Aus/NZ used the old system (eg hooker = 12), in line with the practice in these countries.

_Johnsy

Referee
Saint 60 said:
lol..hes a sperm machine --

trying 2b a politician lol

Carrying the great Canberra tradition of transition from footy life to a pollie, ah the great political career of mal, Yep good days :crazy: