What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foundation Cup v Charity Shield

adamkungl

Immortal
Great night, hope to see it back next year. Getting to go out on the field was a good end to the night.

Paul Hewson

Juniors
Balmain_Boy said:
It's great that the money goes to charity, brilliant in fact. But you don't truly believe that's why the charity shield has stood for so long do you?

The Charity aspect of it back in the 80's was a huge factor and the reason why it kept going. I know that now it is more than just the Charity side of it now. It has been made to be more than just a trial game and over the last 5 years the game has pulled over 20,000 each year.(I just hope that Souths can start to bring those sort of crowds regularly this year)

I applaude the fact that other teams are trying to build up a trial game to get people into the season at hand. In a time that the game was losing tradition, lets start building new traditions. This is a start in the right direction. The fact that over 16000 people turned up last night shows that this might work. It shows that the off-sason has been long and people want to get out to the games again.

It's not fair to compare the Foundation Cup with the Charity Shield as the Shield has been going for years. Give this a few years and this will be another tradition in its own right. Maybe then the clubs can look about donating the gate to Charity. I know people might say that it is copying the Charity Shield, but there is never enough money going to Charity.

_Johnsy

Referee
Rotten Rooster said:
what a nob thing to say its a trial you clown not Foundation cup V charity shield.

There in lies the problem, it is more than a trial, it is a fundraiser for childrens hospitals, ummmm DUUHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

The funny thing is this needed to be explained to you again.:crazy:

Glenn

First Grade
Charlie124 said:
The good ol' days of running onto the field after the game are gone, its just an unfortunate reality of modern sport, too many things can go wrong and its too hard to police if need be.

Need to get out to the country areas and see the trial games ;-)

Lowdown

Juniors
Wow..seems some St George supporters really are a bit touchy about this latest 'trial' which dares to upstage their own little monopoly.

Now...what's that word starting with X that Pauline couldn't understand....

Plenty of room for a Cup and a Shield people in February...

Glenn

First Grade
Callan Pk said:
Why the country?
Henson park you can play on the filed at half AND fulltime.

Ahh yes Henson as well

As for why the country, helps supports country rugby league :cool:

Deacon

First Grade
drake said:
The point is, other teams are cashing in on the idea of making a big deal of a trial match by making it a tradition, but ignoring the charitable aspect that has made the charity shield a stand out from the other trials.

My point exactly

Glenn

First Grade
Despite the charity aspect to the CS it still just a trial match (why are NRL trial matches played in Sydney?, better off taking it to a country area IMHO)

Front-Rower

First Grade
Raider Ultra said:
How can the Tigers play in a 'Foundation Cup'? They've only played in 6 seasons, ffs.

Because they are the child born from two foundation clubs. They represent the Balmain and Western Suburbs rugby league football clubs in the 1st grade NRL competition.

_Johnsy

Referee
Lowdown said:
Wow..seems some St George supporters really are a bit touchy about this latest 'trial' which dares to upstage their own little monopoly.

Lowdown

I dont have a problem with any game "upstaging" (poor choice of word) the Charity shield. I am all for huge crowds at all pre season games. I agree there is plenty of room for many big games in february (& march fore the ignorant:roll: ), the more the better. Shields, Cups, whatever you want to call them, bring them on.

I could not care less if the saints v souths game only gets 5000. As for the monopoly you speak of i have heard no other person even dare to hint at this kind of mindset or idea. The issue some of us had was posters saying the Charity shield is just a trial game. It raises money for childrens hospitals, IMO a reason why it should receive a bit more publicity. to RAISE $$$$$ for sick kids. Again not a difficult distinction. How dare some supporters of this great fund raiser take exception to the notion it is "just" another trial.

hrundi99

First Grade
I'd suggest that the charity element will come into it down the track once the feasibility of the event has been confirmed.

Bluebag

Juniors
A Souths fan asked me on Saturday night at the Cup if I was going to Souths Grand Final. It was very funny the way he said it.

Lowdown said:

Idiot.

Its fantastic that other clubs have brought in an annual trial match, that has brought 16K odd fans though the gate. A great start to the League year, and I reckon it would be great if more clubs did it. We have no pre-season comp, and so more high-profile trial games can only benefit the game leading into the season.

The Charity Shield has been the only trial of note ever, with funds raised from the gate going to ....charity! (surprise surprise). I can see how it would be best if the foundation cup operated similarly - if not charity, funds raised could go to country rugby league clubs struggling to survive.

"upstaging"???? - Hardly. A rival league fan trying to stir up sh1t - bingo.

Rotten Rooster

Juniors
_Johnsy said:
There in lies the problem, it is more than a trial, it is a fundraiser for childrens hospitals, ummmm DUUHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

The funny thing is this needed to be explained to you again.:crazy:

So how many people do you think attend the game based on the fact that the money goes to charity. How many people have you heard say I am going because the proceeds go to charity! Get your hand off it mate its about to hit you in the eye.
End of the day yes it is a good and worthy cause but whats the point in comparing the two its stupid because each one has it own concept and idea it is based on. The thing that pisses me off the most is that most nobs on here are hiding behind the word charity to bag the foundation shield. As they do with every thing any club does but their own! lets see the bunnys suck because they have armarni suits or the broncos suck because they have a new kit. its how things work in these threads unfortunately, or lets bag westigers cause they have a merged and they arent foundation clubs, the nobs on here just are not happy with anything anyother club does.
On a last note it not your place to push charity in anyones face. If you feel so charitable go joint the salvo's.

_Johnsy

Referee
Rotten Rooster said:
End of the day yes it is a good and worthy cause but whats the point in comparing the two its stupid because each one has it own concept and idea it is based on.

I knew you would get it sooner or later:roll:

Tom Shines

First Grade
Just rebadging a trial game to get the crowd to turn up.
Really doesn't have any historical significance.

bjm8

Juniors
Going out on the field still happens in AFL, about 15 minutes after play concludes and the players have returned to the sheds. But can you imagine the general public being allowed on Telstra Stadium, or Suncorp circa a few years ago? Kids everywhere would be doing ankles and knees and it would be lawsuit after lawsuit.

Latest posts