What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four year deal for Boyd at knights

rnb11

Juniors
Awful options... Gids is a blue chip fullback.. only position where he can inject himself where he needs to. Average hooker or half, can't see him being much chop in the centres.

Boyd to centres? Is he any good at centre? Doesnt look like he has much size. Dunno why the hell we're looking at signing him... two first string fullbacks.. smart..

I'm pretty sure he played wing/centre at the Broncos, he plays wing at rep level so I think he'll be more than capable to play centre for us. And he's ALOT bigger than what most people think, he's quite tall and very solid.

Saying that I dont want him or Gids playing centre, what a waste of money.

RABK

Referee
And unless we paid 500k he is in no way a waste of money. If not for Slater Boyd would be the best fullback in the game. None the less, he is among the top 10 best players in the world. The last time we could claim to have that would be 2006.

Noname36

First Grade
Bennett will almost certainly go with experience...It'll be Gidley at 6 IMO.

Problem is though, Gidley is absolutely awful in the 6. This isn't just a "he might come good and develop playmaking skills under Bennett" situation either. We've seen coach after coach put him in the #6 for almost 10 years now, and he's always awful. It's not just that he doesn't have the playmaking skills, but he also consistently breaks down plays.

I'd say Bennett will go for Gids in the halves, but if he can somehow turn him into a playmaker then he's worth the money Tinkler threw at him on that alone.

RABK

Referee
I can't see reason to doubt Gids at centre. Lack of pace perhaps but his lateral movement is such that i can't see him been beaten one on one. He could really create a lot of room for Uate. I see him been an even better centre than his brother.

Hooch

Juniors
I reckon Gids would be a crap centre. He belongs at fullback, it's the only positino that plays to his strengths.

So wth did we sign TWO FULLBACKS

one of these two will be a very expensive utility player... no idea what the plan is here

RABK

Referee
I reckon Gids would be a crap centre. He belongs at fullback, it's the only positino that plays to his strengths.

So wth did we sign TWO FULLBACKS

one of these two will be a very expensive utility player... no idea what the plan is here

Is that your nomination to become the forums official WB/Boyd troll? Gids can `rove` (which is his strength that people talk about) from any position on the field as long as everyone is communicating and he defends at centre. Gids lacks only pace on his resume to become a centre. Any person able to give Uate quality ball is doing major good for us.

Last edited:

rnb11

Juniors
Anyone who's seen him up close in the last 12 months would know how big the guy really is, I'm not talking Dave Taylor big but he's bulkier than most people think

And he will be our marquee signing and probably our highest paid player behind Gids, it doesnt make sense to play someone of his calibre at centre. Im of the belief that your biggest names should make up the spine (with some exceptions) so I don't see the point in signing one of the game's elite fullbacks just to play him at centre. Someone like Tomane could be a "very good centre"

I'm over the moon he's coming to the Knights and I know he'll do wonders for us wherever he plays, I just think he should stay at fullback

Serc

First Grade
Be very interesting to see what happens with Gidley...I wonder what Bennett will do if he is selected in the halves and ignores the set plays/coaches instructions in 2012...lol

He can get away with doing that a bit at fullback when we have Mullen and Henry in the halves, but yes some interesting times ahead! I can't see Gidley playing a position that won't have him using his best assets (and that is not centre).

Noname36

First Grade
^ The only position he can really show his best assets are at fullback though, and I'd say Boyd will play there.

Or maybe hooker, but if we keep De Gois he wont be there.

I don't think he's a centre (although I think he could go ok there) and he's certainly not a half...I just don't know where we could put him.

There's lock...but we have better locks at the club.

RABK

Referee
Opinion is divided so either way there will be critics of our eventual spine make up. Fact is for a player of Boyds class you have to shift/drop players to accomadate him.

Only Mullen comes within 5 leagues of Boyds class - difference been Boyd is class for 30 odd games/origins per year. If henry is the one to be dropped, so be it. You can't Fault a spine of Boyd, Gidley, Mullen and De Gois. It's a borderline origin quality spine. Gids is not as awful at 5/8 as some make out.

Henry has his part to play and as a fan of his i hope we can find a way to accomadate all 5 of those players in a winning side.

Yosh

Coach
Look guys, a couple of years back we had terrible players all around the paddock. We had guys like Tanner, Carmont etc and we would have loved to have seen a Boyd come to play for us. Alot of people sound like spoiled brats!!! We are very lucky to har such quality players fighting it out for positions. Can't wait!!

Yosh

Coach
Look guys, a couple of years back we had terrible players all around the paddock. We had guys like Tanner, Carmont etc and we would have loved to have seen a Boyd come to play for us. Alot of people sound like spoiled brats!!! We are very lucky to har such quality players fighting it out for positions. Can't wait!!

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Great signing. We're going to have a very classy backline with the addition of Boyd.

I was all for Boyd to centre because we have Gidley at FB but Boyd is probably in the top 3 fullbacks in the game so that's where we should play him.

That makes it tough on where to play Gidley. I really rate De Gois and think he's a better hooker then Gidley - But he could very well be under pressure to perform. If he doesn't perform or cops another serious injury, I would play Gidley at 9

I'm not a massive fan of playing Gidley at centre, but I'm not totally against it either. Gidley would lack pace to cause a lot of threat to the opposition, but then you could see Aku getting some quality ball outside him. I still want to see the development of Likiliki though and what he has to offer in the next few years.

I would really like to see Sau re-sign too, especially with our lack of centre options atm

Alex28

Coach

Clearly you are grasping the point of a forum - you know...discussing the club and the topic at hand. No one is begrudging the club signing Boyd. People are discussing how we fit him in to the starting squad.

Off your high horse Yoshi and get speculating!

RHCP

Bench
The way Beau performs in the back half of this season will have a great bearing on the makeup of our spine next year imo.

League_God

Juniors
Henry needs to get on the park and start playing some good footy or else Gids will be playing 5/8 next year.

1.Darius Boyd
2.Aku Uate
3.Kurt Gidley (c)
4.Junior Sau
5.James McManus
6.Beau Henry
7.Jarred Mullen
8.Nev Costigan
9.Isaac De Gois
10.Kade Snowden
11.Zeb Taia
12.Chris Houston
13.Ethan Cook

14.Richard Faaso
15.Evarn Tuimavave
16.Kyle O'Donell
17.Zane Tetevano

(based on potential of the juniors named)This side will beat any in the NRL on it's day.

Nuffy

Bench
Both Boyd and Gidley are fine as FB's and on current form, Boyd shades Gids in performance.

Both will be in the team and I'd reckon that Henry is still well regarded by Bennett.

I feel the critical issue is who is the most capable centre in the club to feed Uate. We have one of, if not the most exciting finisher in the game and he needs quality service, Sau is obviously not the best at this, so he's not in for consideration but perhaps the decision should be who's best able to give Uate quality ball as he is a 25 -30 tries a year winger given the right service.

Can anyone imagine how many tries he would score outside of Mids...............

Latest posts