What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four year deal for Boyd at knights

K-Man

Bench
Who wants to give some odds on WB naming this for Round One 2012? (refund given if any player injured and unavailable for selection):

1. Boyd
6. Gidley (will spend time at dummy half and lock and wherever needed during the match)
7. Mullen
9. De Gois
14. Henry

I'm not against Gids at centre (especially for the Uate factor) but I'm just not sure our highest paid player and club captain will actually train all off-season as a centre... and if he doesn't train there i doubt he will play there at the start of the year).

Unfortunately it's going to be Gids in the halves i think. On the PLUS side, it means that injuries are less likely to be cruel to us because we will have quite a few decent options in key positions.

Anyone know if Tyrone Roberts is signed up for the future?

Yosh

Coach
Roberts needs to be in the mix somewhere. I know I only saw one match but he impressed me heaps. So:

1. Boyd
2. Uate
3. Henry
4. Sau
5. McManus
6. Kidley
7. Mullen
9. De Gois
14. Roberts

I think that's the way to go. De Gois coming off near the end of each half and Kidley into hooker and Roberts into 5/8th.

I know I've only seen a couple of games of Henry but I think he has the size, speed and skills to be a good centre. Well, not really, but that's how I'd fit them into the team.

What you guys think?

RABK

Referee
I don't think roberts is such a talent to warrant a place in our side at full strength. Live wire halves aren't hard to find or produce. Ones with real class are however. I think in Mullen and Henry we have our halves for the next 6 or 7 years. I see roberts as nothing more than depth.

Just throwing it out there.. Could Henry play in the centers or as a ball playing lock? He is a bit bigger than gids. He would be about the same size as fitter or anaster and both have played lock at rep level.

1. Gidley
2. Uate
3. Likiliki/Henry
4. Sau
5. Macmanus
6. Boyd
7. Mullen
8. Costigan
9. Degois
10. Snowden/house
11. House/patto
12. Taia
13. Henry/patto/house

What do u think??

RABK

Referee
Henry showed alot of pace and strength in his early games so i think if he filled out a little more he could play out wide as a backrower/centre.

This shits giving me headaches now.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Gidley will be in the centres or five-eighth. I really don't see him keeping Boyd out of the fullback spot. I love Gids, but he's not in the same ballpark in terms of fullback quality.

RABK

Referee
I don't think we can discount Liki. He is an immense talent who should be given some time in FG to make a claim on a centre spot. He's a big, fast centre who can step, offload and draw defenders. I think Bennett could make a hodges out of him, he reminds me of the very young hodges.

Jono078

Referee
That's true, but then it just makes the where does Gidley and Boyd play even harder :p

And I'm definitely convinced on the Henry/Mullen combo, unless it turns to absolute shit then Id be happy with Gidley there.

Also if our hooker had a kicking game id be happy with Gidley there, otherwise too much pressure on Mullen in the long kicking game.

Sau may go so we can get Snowden. Then Liki and Gids will most likely be the centres. Hell of an option we have though. If a half gets injured Boyd or Gids can rotate between half and fullback depending on how Benny wants to play it. The more Boyd has the ball in his hands the more dangerous we will be.

Hooch

Juniors
Is that your nomination to become the forums official WB/Boyd troll? Gids can `rove` (which is his strength that people talk about) from any position on the field as long as everyone is communicating and he defends at centre. Gids lacks only pace on his resume to become a centre. Any person able to give Uate quality ball is doing major good for us.

f**k off idiot

Maybe you can have Gidley roving in attack and Boyd attacking at centre? or two roving fullbacks? One either side of the ruck :lol: u dont know wtf your talking about

anyway

The bottom line is Boyd and Gids would both be on big money, and both are fullbacks. Personally I'm a big fan of Gids and would stick with him and not buy Boyd, for what Gids offers as an all round package.

Gidley is a very expensive utility. We only bought Boyd because of him and Bennet being attached by an umbilical cord. It's really a nonsensical buy. If Gidley wasn't a marquee player it would be a great buy, but we've tied up a fair bit of cap space covering the same position twice.

Be interesting to know what Bennet has planned. Does he see Boyd as a future half option ala Lockyer? He obviously rates him as a player.

Henry looked bloody good, put me down for Bennet selecting

1. Boyd
6. Henry
7. Mullen
9. De Gois

14. Gidley!

RABK

Referee
f**k off idiot

Maybe you can have Gidley roving in attack and Boyd attacking at centre? or two roving fullbacks? One either side of the ruck :lol: u dont know wtf your talking about

anyway

The bottom line is Boyd and Gids would both be on big money, and both are fullbacks. Personally I'm a big fan of Gids and would stick with him and not buy Boyd, for what Gids offers as an all round package.

Gidley is a very expensive utility. We only bought Boyd because of him and Bennet being attached by an umbilical cord. It's really a nonsensical buy. If Gidley wasn't a marquee player it would be a great buy, but we've tied up a fair bit of cap space covering the same position twice.

Be interesting to know what Bennet has planned. Does he see Boyd as a future half option ala Lockyer? He obviously rates him as a player.

Henry looked bloody good, put me down for Bennet selecting

1. Boyd
6. Henry
7. Mullen
9. De Gois

14. Gidley!

Yup Gidley on the bench, and you call me a f**king idiot. The village idiot position around here is vacant so congratulations. You have NFI.

Hooch

Juniors
Meh, with that roster and outside of fullback its probably his best spot, do cover/rotation for the spine.

Theres no easy answer to it, just wait and see what WB does. Like others I don't think he'll play Boyd outside of fullback. Someones going to be playing out of their element. Injury might save the trouble anyway.

~knights~

Juniors
Gidley started playing in the centres when he was breaking into 1st grade
but gids on the bench u have got to be kidding...he is the fittest guy in the team, not to mention our captain
i like him at hooker , just my opinion !

Burwood

Bench
From memory, Kidley is the only player that currently qualifies for the veteran player allowance in our squad. So that means that we would be saving $200,000/yr on his contract, right? Hardly a large chunk of our cap on him and Boyd if that is the case.

Shenry4

Juniors
I cannot believe people here think the best option with this great backline is Gids at 5/8 !!!

1. Gidley
6. Boyd
7. Mullen
9. De gois

Gidley will perform at fullback like usual. Mullen will become a superstar under Bennet and his system.

Boyd has unbelievable ball playing skills, and it has been mentioned numerous times by Bennet since boyds debut that he is a real footballer, ie brains. Lets not forget Brisbane wanted him for 5/8. I see him making the switch ala Darren Lockyer.

1.Gidley 6. Boyd > 1.Boyd 6. Gidley........duh

Knights for premiership 2013!

Latest posts