What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fozzard v Fielden

JasonE

Bench
Cant wait til the cup game Saints v Bulls when these two go head to head, from all reports Fozz has stepped up another level this year and Fielden is a great player.
This clash alone would be worth the admission price.

SaintKnightUK

Juniors
Dunno mate, I rate Fozzard quite highly but Fielden is on another planet. he is outstanding. Quite fearful for the Cup Game!!!

kevin crouthers

Juniors
JasonE said:
Cant wait til the cup game Saints v Bulls when these two go head to head, from all reports Fozz has stepped up another level this year and Fielden is a great player.
This clash alone would be worth the admission price.

well if fozzard has stepped up another level then he'll be at the level he was when he first started with wire in 2002, cos he was garbage last year after he signed with stains.

The one you want to be looking out for is Fozzard against hilton, thats the one should be big upped when we play saints.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
You can't seriously be hyping the 'battle' between Fozzard and Fielden?

Fielden plays outstandingly for 80 minutes, Fozzard plays about 40 and has not even a fraction of the impact on matches.

From the pre-season games I would say the forwards who have stood up as the leading contenders for the places against Bradford in the cup are Edmonson and Bibey. Both have been excellent in pre-season where all people are saying about Fozzard is that he looks like Penelope Pitstop when he runs :lol:

Fielden will walk this one, as will the Bradford pack. Saints pack is awful and we'll have to rely on another bit of heavenly intervention to get us through. I think 04 will be a transitional phase at Saints unless the frowards play out of their skin.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
JasonE said:
For anyone who saw the match, how did Fozz go up against the big Bulls pack ?

He did ok, lots of aggression and plenty of offloads, one which sent Saints prop Mark Edmonson clear through to score on the half way line. A couple of knock ons dampened what was otherwise an impressive display.

On the day though Saints didn't let Bradford play, they were dominant in every area. For me the game was won in the play the balls. Saints were very, very fast, as fast as I have ever seen and it was maintained for the full 80. This gave a relatively weak pack such a helping hand and with superb distribution from Cunningham and Higham Bradford were always on the back foot. In contrast Bradford's were laboured and very slow and the majority of passes from dummy half looked like something from an Under 7's game. It either went to the ground or behind, or up in the air. Bradford's pack could never get going. They also spilled the ball a lot, Saints seemed intent on attacking the ball in every tackle, and it worked a treat.

Long's kicking was clinical, Sculthorpe was immense as ever, and Saints back line destroyed Bradford's again. As ever Darren Albert handled Lesley Vainakolo with consumate ease, a near perfect defensive display, and Dom Feaunati had the better of Vaikona too. Gleeson and Talau are a class above the Bulls Koe Love and Johnson.

Bullseye

Juniors
Fairleigh Good! said:
JasonE said:
For anyone who saw the match, how did Fozz go up against the big Bulls pack ?

He did ok, lots of aggression and plenty of offloads, one which sent Saints prop Mark Edmonson clear through to score on the half way line. A couple of knock ons dampened what was otherwise an impressive display.

On the day though Saints didn't let Bradford play, they were dominant in every area. For me the game was won in the play the balls. Saints were very, very fast, as fast as I have ever seen and it was maintained for the full 80. This gave a relatively weak pack such a helping hand and with superb distribution from Cunningham and Higham Bradford were always on the back foot. In contrast Bradford's were laboured and very slow and the majority of passes from dummy half looked like something from an Under 7's game. It either went to the ground or behind, or up in the air. Bradford's pack could never get going. They also spilled the ball a lot, Saints seemed intent on attacking the ball in every tackle, and it worked a treat.

Long's kicking was clinical, Sculthorpe was immense as ever, and Saints back line destroyed Bradford's again. As ever Darren Albert handled Lesley Vainakolo with consumate ease, a near perfect defensive display, and Dom Feaunati had the better of Vaikona too. Gleeson and Talau are a class above the Bulls Koe Love and Johnson.

Well I can understand Fairleigh Good being chuffed with his heroes performance. They were certainly impressive. IMO Saints won by playing their usual game against us. Good job nobody else in SL has mastered this.

The main reason for the Saints win was their ability to put three men into every tackle thus slowing the Bradford play the ball. When Bradford were defending quick darts from dummy half meant only one Bulls defender was in the tackle so the Saints play the ball was faster. As a result the Saints forwards were then able to hit the line before the Bulls defence had a chance to begin moving up. Saints got over the advantage line easily.

The Bulls also made far too many errors and were impatient with the ball in hand. In the first 6 sets Bradford dropped the ball 4 times. Saints were almost perfect.

The Bulls need to tighten up the defence around the ruck or they'll get caught out every time Vs Saints. It was like the 2002 50 point thrashing in parts with Cunningham and Higham being allowed acres of space.

On the thread subject Fozzard did go ok but if he's as good as Fielden then I'm Alex Murphy!

JasonE

Bench
[quote="Bullseye]
On the thread subject Fozzard did go ok but if he's as good as Fielden then I'm Alex Murphy![/quote]

Where did anyone say that ?

deluded pom?

Coach
JasonE said:
[quote="Bullseye]
On the thread subject Fozzard did go ok but if he's as good as Fielden then I'm Alex Murphy!

Where did anyone say that ?[/quote]

Erm ..... directly above your last posting Jason . :lol:

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
deluded pom? said:
JasonE said:
[quote="Bullseye]

Where did anyone say that ?

Erm ..... directly above your last posting Jason . :lol:[/quote]]

Where?

He said Fozzard has stepped up a level and Fielden is a great player didn't he? That doesn't mean better.

The Observer

Staff member
Fozzard is a very gutsy, robust player that carries the ball forward and should be considered for GB this year.