What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frank Farina tells NRL, AFL told to grow up over Cup bid

i dunno why the nrl is complaining.

you say "yeah, we wont play the comp for 4-8 weeks"

get compensation from the government and FFA, get new grounds built and upgrades to the older ones and at worst..you may have to play a double header in gosford or parramatta or canberra for a few weeks.

fifa rules stituate that 1 city will have 2 grounds and all grounds have to be over 40k with awesome facilities and public transport. the only league grounds effected will be telstra stadium and suncorp. the goldcoast ground isnt big enough and the rest arent good enough without being knocked down completely (would have to have enclosed ends put in to fit the regulations)

maybe the SFS if sydney got the 2 stadium city.

and lets not forget. its in 13 years or whatever. just agree in principal and work out the details if we get it.

which is unlikely anyway.

Last edited:

Green Machine

First Grade
You got a good laugh, eh.

He's right. You see, on so many levels, he nails it. I think he was being metaphorical where you were being literal. He's conveyed a powerful message.

Move over, worm.

And more power to them. We exist in a world of many powers and colours.

I am not going to go on about soccer on a rugby league forum, as many seem to do to the negative, but suffice to say there is a reason why its the world game - and thats not
because they don't know about rugby league yet.

Deep down everyone is trying to help without being engulfed its just that the media is beating it up.

There's a few more stories in this one yet; and indeed so should we move over.

Oh sh*t, forgot to add "with all due respect" for each and every one of you sooks out there reading this.

Its a many faceted world, and there are bigger fish than us. Nows not the time to hunt. Its time to smile politely, believe in our game and support it as I see we are doing at NRL HQ. And enjoy soccer for what it is.

Just like Fozzy and Frank, I still don’t care what you think

GCR

Juniors
Australias 4 world cup games out rated any nrl or afl game ever on tv, and they were mostly on in the wee hours of the morning.

At club level soccer is a minnow in oz. At international level it wipes the floor of both league and afl in australia

Got any proof to back that up dude? Because it's a blatant lie.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I was responding to a direct assertion that the AFL (and NRL) is bigger than the soccer world cup, even in this country.

Its simply not true, and is laughable to even suggest that either sport can even approach it.

Keep laughing....:lol:

Danish

Referee
As opposed to the consistent LU whinging and whining and creative maths to show why the NRL grand final actually outrates the AFL grand final?

Just fact facts, any way you slice it the soccer world cup is bigger than either of our codes, and will pull in more money in 4 weeks than the NRL will in an entire season. Its simply laughable to try and argue that we should be put before it in priorities.

BuffaloRules

Coach
So you have walked away from your earlier position that the 2006 World Cup games outrated any AFL/NRL game??

Even if they had have, what would it prove? Every four years Aunt Sally jumps on the bandwagon and will watch a soccer game on TV??

The highest rating football event of any code was the 2003 RWC final.. How is union going 6 years later??

GCR

Juniors
As opposed to the consistent LU whinging and whining and creative maths to show why the NRL grand final actually outrates the AFL grand final?

Just fact facts, any way you slice it the soccer world cup is bigger than either of our codes, and will pull in more money in 4 weeks than the NRL will in an entire season. Its simply laughable to try and argue that we should be put before it in priorities.

Just 'fact' facts - you were wrong.

Danish

Referee
So you have walked away from your earlier position that the 2006 World Cup games outrated any AFL/NRL game??

Even if they had have, what would it prove? Every four years Aunt Sally jumps on the bandwagon and will watch a soccer game on TV??

The highest rating football event of any code was the 2003 RWC final.. How is union going 6 years later??

The exact same statement applies to the Olympics.

Perhaps the Sydney games in 2000 were a complete mistake? I mean, the NRL was stuffed about then as well, having to start their season early. The voter backlash against the state and federal governments must have been huge.... I cant recall, but I can only imagine they were tossed out on their arses for allowing such lowly sports like discus compromise the mighty NRL and AFL?

No doubt no one would have attended those games either if there were league matches going on at the same time as well?

I can't believe how many people are looking at local soccer as a guide to our interest in the sport. I know heaps who follow an EPL or any other Euro team but couldn't give a rats about the A League.

First of all, the A League knows it's a minnow. They made no secret of the fact that it wasn't ready for a free-to-air contract. They started with only 8 teams and plan to build to 16(?) within a few years. It's part of Frank Lowie's 20 year plan. Laugh at their crowds but it's a massive rise on what they were used to.

The A League has positioned itself as a 'feeder' league for the bigger European/Asian clubs which is why their aligned with its seasons plus it fits in with their transfer windows. We're seeing and hearing of more and more Aussies playing big time football every year and some of them are now coming from the A League.

Craig Johnston used to be the only household name - now we have Neill, Cahill, Kewell, Schwarzer, Aloisi and more. And they're all products of the local, sh1tty comp before the A League started.

At the moment, kids start out playing soccer but leave when they get to their early teens to play the major footy codes. But with more and more Aussies earning corporate salaries (per week!) and driving Ferraris in European leagues, don't you think more and more kids might stay with soccer? Why not? It's physically less demanding than RL/AFL so not only will you have a longer career but more comps to play in and more money to boot.

I easily see more kids sticking with the game and coming up through the A League to chase their dreams. This will boost the A League roster plus not all of them will make it to Asia or Europe and so their comp grows.

Many of you seem to be judging Foster's article on the basis of what you think of soccer. I personally don't see anything wrong with what he's written considering Lowie's 20 year plan.

Wether they pull it off or not, (and even an unsuccessful cup bid can't hurt) at least it's a plan.

I wish the NRL had a 20 year plan.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Foster's article must be some kind of joke, and I dont even know how soccer/ world cup fans can support it.......

To use the terminology of the times, it's a ''clean'' energy consistent with our 21st-century considerations, largely free of the massive cultural and behavioural baggage of other sports

Please.. he is trying to say that Soccer has no "cultural/behavioural" baggage compared to other sports??

There are still teams in various state leagues that have to play each other behind locked gates....

Billythekid

First Grade
They started with only 8 teams and plan to build to 16(?) within a few years.

I would like to know where they are planning to put these teams. I also think the future survival of a few of their existing clubs would have to be in doubt e.g. the new GC team.

Laugh at their crowds but it's a massive rise on what they were used to.

Even this year? The A-leagues crowds are plummeting and have been extremely poor this year.

The tv ratings have dropped off a bit as well. Hardly encouraging signs for the future.

Edit: I also don't understand why you think the NRL is in a worse position going forward. We have just come off the back of one of if not the most successful seasons we have ever had. With increasing memberships and stadium upgrades the next 2 years are looking to be the best we have ever seen.

Not to mention we have just admitted a new highly successful team whilst the A-leagues new teams (and existing ones) are struggling.

The NRL has it's flaws but the A-league isn't where we should be looking for direction.

Last edited:
I would like to know where they are planning to put these teams. I also think the future survival of a few of their existing clubs would have to be in doubt e.g. the new GC team.

Even this year? The A-leagues crowds are plummeting and have been extremely poor this year.

The tv ratings have dropped off a bit as well. Hardly encouraging signs for the future.

Edit: I also don't understand why you think the NRL is in a worse position going forward. We have just come off the back of one of if not the most successful seasons we have ever had. With increasing memberships and stadium upgrades the next 2 years are looking to be the best we have ever seen.

Not to mention we have just admitted a new highly successful team whilst the A-leagues new teams (and existing ones) are struggling.

The NRL has it's flaws but the A-league isn't where we should be looking for direction.

Considering the lack of mainstream media attention (of their own doing), it's hardly surprising crowds are dwindling. After the initial excitement of the comp's debut (peaking in 07/09) I guess were left with just the hard core supporter base as the Euro snobs have all but abandoned the A League. There's been a lot of shooting one's own foot at club level, Sydney in particular have been a real joke but if they can get more kids coming in for the reasons I mentioned, then things will/might improve.

Also, I didn't think that we should follow the A League. I like that they are patient and have a 20 year plan and it worries me that the NRL doesn't. I would like us to think that far ahead too, granted, not owning our own game hasn't helped.

It's great that our crowds are on the up but the current masters of our game pay scant attention at best, to junior development as well as grass roots in the bush. Soccer will always have a strong junior presence and the AFL give their kids free kit. It's something the NRL can't ignore for too much longer.

All I'm saying is that I would love it if we have a 20 year plan too.

Edwahu

Bench
I would be interested to see examples of the rising tide of Soccer engulfing any strong and well established domestic sports in other countries.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Also, I didn't think that we should follow the A League. I like that they are patient and have a 20 year plan and it worries me that the NRL doesn't. I would like us to think that far ahead too, granted, not owning our own game hasn't helped.

The A League can have a 20 year plan because they have Lowy, one of the richest men in Australia ( if not the world) to basically underwrite losses in the game....

The Sydney A League team would rival the Storm in the amount of money they are losing each year...

The Dodger

First Grade
Michael Beauchamp, Mark Bridge, Jacob Burns, Tim Cahill, Nick Carle, David Carney, Travis Dodd, Brett Emerton, Vince Grella, Adam Griffiths, Joel Griffiths, James Holland, Brett Holman, Josh Kennedy, Harry Kewell, Scott McDonald, Mark Milligan, Craig Moore, Kevin Muscat, Lucas Neill, Jade North, Archie Thompson, Topor-Stanley, Michael Thwaite, Luke Wilkshire.

Yep. Chock-full of dagoes
lol
as soon as i saw schwarzer missing from your list, i knew there was something wrong.

GOALKEEPERS
Adam Federici
Brad Jones
Mark Schwarzer
DEFENDERS
David Carney
Scott Chipperfield
Patrick Kisnorbo
Mark Milligan
Craig Moore
Lucas Neill
Luke Wilkshire
Rhys Williams
MIDFIELDERS
Mark Bresciano
Tim Cahill
Jason Culina
Brett Emerton
Mile Jedinak
Harry Kewell
Mile Sterjovski
Carl Valeri
Dario Vidosic
FORWARDS
Bruce Djite
Brett Holman

yes, choc full of dagoes.

Evenflow

Bench
Laugh at their crowds but it's a massive rise on what they were used to.

I don't know what's funnier, that comment or their actual crowds this season because they've never been lower :lol:

Here's a breakdown of average regular season crowds:

05-06: 10,995
06-07: 12,927
07-08: 14,160
08-09: 12,180
Up to round 18 this year: 9491

Delboy

First Grade
In relation to the A League, to be honest the standard is below the NSL of the late 80's early 90's. There are people talking it up, but basically it is a mediocre standard and that is why it rates poorly and the crowds are dwindling. I find it hard to understand that the soccer critics on TV etc talk it up, it is basically rubbish.

The World Cup soccer and the EPL are a different kettle of fish, but no one should compare the local soccer to the sports people watch and care care about in Australia, particularly on this forum