What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free Agency- The Solution

hellteam

First Grade
Seeing as this whole draft thing is all a News Ltd hype invention, you'd think they'd at least have a grapple of what a draft actualy is...

The Courier Mail's back page question (for readers to sms their answer to ) today is "Should the NRL introduce a mid-season draft?"... I kid you not

eozsmiles

Bench
Draft will never work unless the NRL picks up all the funding for junior development. Clubs that develop good juniors will stop putting time and money into development if they don't get first crack at their juniors. I do believe we need to wait until the season ends before signings are made.

Clubs won't put money into development if they can't keep them. It defeats the purpose of developing them if other clubs get first crack. That is he big difference people are talking about. In the USA, where sporting drafts are prevalent, the players are developed by colleges who have no allegiance to the pro teams. They play their own comps and get their own funding. They are developing the players for their own reasons.
Footy clubs develop juniors through their own clubs and feeder comps so they can keep them. In the USA, where they have a draft in every sport I think, the junior players are developed by teams that know they will leave within 4 years.
It's a massive attitude difference and difference in development that quite frankly the NRL is incapable of implementing and the average fan does not want a bar of.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Draft will never work unless the NRL picks up all the funding for junior development. Clubs that develop good juniors will stop putting time and money into development if they don't get first crack at their juniors. I do believe we need to wait until the season ends before signings are made.

Exactly. It would take a complete overhaul of how the game is run at a junior level taking development out of clubs hands and cetralising it. While that in itself has its advantages, certain clubs like Manly, Roosters and Melbourne will gain massively from it while Parra, Penrith, Nerwcastle would be amoung the losers.

The AFL i think have regional and metro rep sides from which they draft i think?

franklin2323

Immortal
People need to just accept the Scott scenarios. They are professionals, I'm sure he will give his all to Saints this year, before moving to his next career opportunity.

The Dragons had until June 30 to match the offer. The fact it was announced this early means it's a huge deal. If James Maloney wants to come home, despite having the power to make him wait. The Warriors are best getting it out there and looking for his replacement 18months out. Rather then doing it in secret and waiting for the draft.

Thats the thing every other draft in the world isn't established players. Rookie drafts that are in play work because the wage has a minimum and maximum. So in theory everyone can afford them. Without salary cap changes (which are would be a stupid idea) it won't work.

WireMan

Bench
Teams could always negotiate with a player when there is still a year left on the contract and extend it.

I can see why teams let them run down with a salary cap etc. but if you want to keep a superstar, get him signed before anyone else can even talk to him.

Draft would only work if the Youngster teams were funded from a central place and not by individual teams. Like the college system in the US.