What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free To Air (FTA) TV deal discussion

ngunity

Juniors
Kurt Angle said:
With Fairfax press holding one paper, and Murdoch the other, RL would then have no friends in the Sydney print media.

ON a side note I think if the papers really hated League they'd kick it's ass off the more important sections of the sport page, the fact they don't shows they're not crazy at least, and know that League sells because people DO care about league, and not so much about other stuff

I'll give 9 an 'atta-boy' for it's improved post-match Friday night football analysis this year and a half-decent serious League show on Sundays, thumbs down as always for Thursday night's dross

For the poster that suggested League find a bigger income source than TV I think you'll find ALL sports derive the vast majority of their cash from money, League's hardly in a position to break the mold and find a new income stream :?

I would imagine that for all the bluster over FTA money the NRL will not let in more than 1 team until 2008/2009. :( Furthermore I'd imagine that this stagnation of League's growth into areas that want it e.g. GC, CC, Wellington, and maybe even Perth will cost the NRL a LOT more in the long run to establish themselves in these areas in the future

I grew up on the coast and didn't know what Union was when I was a kid, nowadays Union is in the local papers from what I see, not League. It's bad news for League for traditional heartlands to slip away and support much more inferior, sh!tter sports :evil:

NRL should calculate what they can expect from the FTA $$ influx in the future then spend the money NOW to grow the game, it's better than turnign their backs on development now then having to sew bad soil 10 years from now

Ilya

Juniors
Channel seven will big for both AFL and League. It had first bidding rights, and after nine's response, they then have last bidding rights on AFL. Either way, nine can't hold both sports and won't, which will result in better coverage of the NRL.

DIEHARD

----
Why the hell would Ch 9 want Rugby League when it has such ratings champions as the Lions and Swans in key markets like Sydney and Brisbane? /sarcasm

RL would help save Ch 7s sinking ship.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Timbo said:
I wonder if 7 and 9 would be willing to enter a co-hosting situation like 9 and 10 have with the AFL?

That could potentially lead to as many as 5 or even 6 FTA games per week.

That wouldn't work because News limited put heaps of money into the game because they get to show most of the games life. If 7 and 9 had it, it would hindrance them badly and they wouldn't pay nearly as much money.