What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Friend incident - James Aubusson injured, do we have any other back-up hookers?

henrieté

Juniors
LOL. I-I-B. The title is very clever well done.

Until the sh*t hits the fan or we have an official link to the story, we can't comment.

henrieté

Juniors

A NRL bad boy has been interviewed by police detectives after an alleged assault of a woman today.

Roosters hooker Jake Friend has been interviewed by police over his involvment in an alleged nightclub assault on the woman only hours after playing in Sydney Roosters' breakthrough 19-12 win over Cronulla Sharks last night.
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,,25683522-5001021,00.html
The 19-year-old, from Randwick was drinking at a nightclub at The Rocks when the incident occured about 3am today.

An ambulance spokesman said a 31-year-old Queensland woman was treated at the scene after being punched in the face.

However, while the woman was interviewed by police she refused to give a statement.
Police today confirmed Friend had been interviewed, but no charges laid.

The Roosters hooker was inside a nightclub in Bridge Lane when he allegedly becoame embroiled in an agruement with the woman and a 29-year-old Leichhardt man.

"It appears a 19-year-old Randwick man has spoken to the two and there's been a physical altercation resulting in the 29-year-old man and 31-year-old woman sustaining some mibnor injuries," a police spokeswoman said.

"Police attended, but the victims refused to give statements and inquiries are continuing at the moment."

The alleged assault comes just four days after Friend was fined $850 and banned from driving for 16 months after his was comvicted of high range drink driving.

Roosters CEO Steve Noyce told The Daily Telegraph he had spoken to Friend this morning but refused to comment on any admissions made by the hooker.

Noyce said it was premature to discuss sacking the teenager.

"I'd rather find out the facts first and then we can go from there. As soon as I find out we can answer thos and other questions," Noyce said.

"I've heard some different stories about it and I am just trying to get all the right information.

"I've spoken to Jake. At this stage the most important thing is to get all the facts."
Noyce said it was too early to say when Friend will face the Roosters board.

"Let's get the information then we'll work it out from there," he said.

"I'm aware the police have been informed."

The incident occured only hours after Friend played a key role in the Roosters upset victrory over Cronulla at the Sydney Football Stadium.

If true... I have no tolerance for alchy cowards who physically hurt a woman or child.

Last edited:

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
He played very well (brunton) kicked a 40/20.... Not a step down from Friend.

The Roosters have confirmed to 2Gb that it was friend, it is all over the telegraph website and there is now speculation that there was 2 other Roosters players involved.

I cannot believe they can be so stupid to be out until 3am, likely off their heads drunk, mid season after how sh*t we have been.

Eitehr bring Brunton up or give Towers some experience.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors

If true... I have no tolerance for alchy cowards who physically hurt a woman or child.

It is well known in the Eastern Suburbs, even before the drink driving incident, that Friend can't handle the drink.

henrieté

Juniors

NRL player Jake Friend questioned over assault of woman

Brent Read | June 28, 2009

Article from: The Australian

THE Sydney Roosters' drought-breaking win over Cronulla has been overshadowed by allegations hooker Jake Friend was involved in an incident which resulted in a woman being punched in the face.

Friend, fined and suspended by the Roosters earlier this year following a drink driving conviction, has been interviewed by police following an incident at a nightclub in The Rocks in the early hours of Sunday morning.

An ambulance spokesman said a 31-year-old Queensland woman was treated at the scene after being punched in the face. The Australian understands the woman involved - Kristy Bradley - is the brother of former NRL star Nick Bradley and the niece of ABC radio commentator David Morrow.

The Bradley had attended the 21st birthday party of Morrow's daughter earlier that evening before heading to the nightclub, where they bumped into a group of Roosters players celebrating their win over the Sharks. That victory was the club's first for more than a month.

"All I was told was that Jake Friend hit her but I've got no further comment," David Morrow said. "I don't know any more because I don't have any more information than that."

It is understood the Roosters players were throwing ice at a group of people before the incident. Witnesses said Friend reacted when he was told to "grow up". Although Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce declined to elaborate on possible sanctions against Friend, it's clear the 19-year-old could face the sack.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said he was awaiting further information before making a comment. However, the latest incident continues a difficult year for the NRL. Manly fullback Brett Stewart remains the subject of sexual assault charges while former international Greg Bird was sentenced to eight months in jail only last week for glassing his girlfriend.

Bird is currently out on bail after appealing the decision.

It is understood the Roosters players were throwing ice at a group of people before the incident. Witnesses said Friend reacted when he was told to "grow up". Although Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce declined to elaborate on possible sanctions against Friend, it's clear the 19-year-old could face the sack.

Sounds like he is a douche.

henrieté

Juniors
Just saw a brief interview with Freddy. According to him the other fellow approached our players and threw the first punch. Friend hit him back and the lady was unfortunately in the way.

Even if this version is true, you would think that the players would be big enough to turn the other cheek.

adamkungl

Immortal
if this turns out to be another bullsh*t incident of some drunk f**kwit trying to be a hero i'll be spewing. I mean sure they shouldn't be out at 3am after a game, but i'm not gonna crucify them if they didn't actually do anything wrong. Here's hoping Fittler's version of events is true. Not exactly filled with confidence though. Someone on The Wall claimed the Roosters players (apparently Earl and Pearce were the other two) were throwing ice at people, and Friend reacted when told to grow up.

henrieté

Juniors
Not sure Adam. Freddy admitted there was ice throwing, but the impression I got was that they were being sledged first, my understanding that is was young Earl that was copping it. That the ice throwing had nothing to do with it.

The boys were literally strong-armed out of the club by the bouncers. Freddy reckons he isn't worried about the incident at all and it looks like no charges will be laid.

Print this page | Return to site

00038940-image.jpg

Friend facing the sack

28/06/2009 5:43 PM
Adam Lucius

Sportal

Sydney Roosters hooker Jake Friend is facing the sack after allegedly assaulting a woman at a nightclub in the hours after his club's 19-12 win over Cronulla on Saturday night.

Friend is alleged to have struck Kristy Bradley, niece of veteran ABC Radio broadcaster David Morrow, following an argument at nightclub in The Rocks around 3am.

Bradley, 31, was treated by ambulance officers for facial wounds after telling them she was punched in the face.

Eyewitnesses reported Friend was with Roosters team-mates when he began throwing ice at patrons, prompting Bradley and her cousin – former Manly and Wests Tigers player Nick Bradley – to approach the group and tell them to 'grow up'.

It's then alleged Friend hit Ms Bradley in the face. Mr Bradley also suffered minor injuries.
"All I was told was Jake Friend hit her but I've got no further comment," David Morrow said at Parramatta Stadium on Sunday, where he is calling the Eels-Broncos clash.

Roosters coach Brad Fittler has jumped to the defence of Friend, claiming the contact to Bradley was accidental.

Fittler told BigPond Sports Weekend he had spoken to the players involved.

"The initial story I got was that there was glass thrown and then Jake assaulted a girl," he said.

"I've been speaking about it all morning and I've been speaking to the boys and getting their side of the story."

Fittler said initial reports suggested a glass had been thrown but was then told it was ice, not glass.

"Now I've spoken to the boys and they said they haven't thrown any ice"

"A person then came over to the table who was an aggressor towards one of our younger blokes Sandor Earl, who has just made his first grade debut and apparently he (the aggressor) threw the first punch, he (Earl) got up there was a couple of punches and a bit of a scuffle and a girl was in the middle trying to break it up."

Fittler then described how Earl and Friend were upset with their treatment at the hands of the club's bouncers who towed the two out in wrist holds and lined them up against the wall.

"We have to be very careful and not drag people's names through the mud so heavily," Fittler said.

"It's very nice to throw the word alleged around and people should be accountable for what they say."

"If they did nothing wrong and a bloke confronted them and it ended up there was a bit of a scuffle it has been happening for four thousand years and it'll happen for the next four thousand years"

"Hopefully this comes out clear and hopefully the girl is ok if she did cop a hit in amongst that scuffle"

Randwick Police confirmed that they had spoken to a man in relation to the incident.

"It appears a 19-year-old Randwick man has spoken to the two and there's been a physical altercation resulting in the 29-year-old man and 31-year-old woman sustaining some minor injuries," a police spokeswoman said.

"Police attended, but the victims refused to give statements and inquiries are continuing at the moment."

The drama comes just days after Friend was fined $850 and suspended from driving for 16 months after being convicted of high-range drink driving.

Roosters CEO Steve Noyce is refusing to comment on the alleged assault – and Friend's future at the club – until he is presented with a full report into the matter.

Last edited:

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
Good stuff about Brunton possibly playing though, he could have gone off the rails a few years back, but stuck with his footy now on the verge of first grade.

As for Friend...I dunno what to think really.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm confused.
The most recent reports are saying it was Earl in a scuffle. Did Friend even have anything to do with it?