What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frizell: Humbled & Shocked

getsmarty

Immortal
Frizell: Humbled & Shocked
Wed 14th September, 08:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons second-rower Tyson Frizell admits to being humbled after being named the People’s Choice Award winner at the NSWRL Brad Fittler Medal Awards on Monday.

The local Corrimal Cougars junior made his NSW Blues State of Origin debut this season and featured in two fixtures for the team which made him the popular choice by Blues supporters.

Frizell confides it was a shock to be awarded the accolade and confesses having the opportunity to don the state jersey was enough reward for him.

“It was an award that I wasn’t really expecting as for myself the rewash was simply putting on the NSW Blues jersey,” said Frizell.

“To get an award from the fans is quite nice and for them to recognise what I did in those two games is quite humbling but also a shock.

“I want to be a part of that system for a very long time and I enjoyed my time playing this season.

“I hope I get more opportunities as I loved wearing the jersey.

“Playing good, consistent club footy is one key to making sure you are retained so I will be working hard during the pre-season to give the body every chance to get selected.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/09/14/frizell_.html

hewi

Bench
A Champ ! Absolute champ, love the guy.

Imagine how good he c/would be playing for a real first grade coach and with a proper number seven.

You know ,I know in fact everyone here knows it, so what the f**k are we waiting for?

BennyV

Referee
The only blokes who's attitude stands out as Captain Material is Thompson, but his form, both on the field and with the judiciary, doesn't make him the best choice. IN addition, who knows how long he'll be at the club when the likes of Host, Leilua and co find their feet in first grade.

ANywho, congrats to Tyson, very well deserved and he should be one of the first forwards picked for the Blues for years to come.

giboz71

First Grade
I think Thommo/Duges would make the best captain(s).

They are most likely the guys that people will follow.

I saw no evidence of Widdop having the ability to lift his team.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Baffles me how and why people on here claim someone should be captain without even being around the playing group.

You can't sit and watch a game from the stands/loungeroom or watch a couple of interviews as an outsider and decide someone is suited to the role because you like the way they play or present themselves.

Anyone who has played a team sport knows that a captain generally picks themselves. He's the guy the team follows, who they gravitate to and who they look to when times get tough.

If you're not in the group day in and day out, doing the hard yards on the training paddock or in the heat of the battle with these guys then you have no right to decide who their leader should be. Please stop with this.

BennyV

Referee
Ok guys, enough is enough. You arent allowed to have an opinion on who is and isnt captain material unless you are a player. And even if you are, you have to be all the players at the same time, so you know how each of them feels. Only then can you have an opinion.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Ok guys, enough is enough. You arent allowed to have an opinion on who is and isnt captain material unless you are a player. And even if you are, you have to be all the players at the same time, so you know how each of them feels. Only then can you have an opinion.

Hilarious. An opinion is one thing. An informed opinion is another.

giboz71

First Grade
Baffles me how and why people on here claim someone should be captain without even being around the playing group.

You can't sit and watch a game from the stands/loungeroom or watch a couple of interviews as an outsider and decide someone is suited to the role because you like the way they play or present themselves.

Anyone who has played a team sport knows that a captain generally picks themselves. He's the guy the team follows, who they gravitate to and who they look to when times get tough.

If you're not in the group day in and day out, doing the hard yards on the training paddock or in the heat of the battle with these guys then you have no right to decide who their leader should be. Please stop with this.

But we as fans can observe the players during the course of a game. We can tell via their body language if they are responding when being challenged. It's a captains job to ensure the team maintain intensity.

We may not know the what goes on within the inner sanctum, but it was pretty clear the team lost composure at various times during the season. This shows at the very least the current captain isn't getting the job done and that a change probably needs to be made.

BennyV

Referee
Hilarious. An opinion is one thing. An informed opinion is another.
Regardless, your post is a crock of shit, sir.

Just because we don't see how the players interact with each other at training doesnt mean our opinion isn't informed. As fans, we see how they act on the field. We see their body language. We see how they present themselves in interviews and other off-field activities. We see their actions in difference sections of the game. And we see how their teammates react to them.

For example, I would argue against Friz a captain as he doesn't seem like the guy to pumped his teammates up, or call them to arms. His teammates obviously respect him as a player, but he's not the one to lead from the front. He also seems quite soft-spoken and doesn't look to challenge others.

THompson, on the other hand, does display those leadership qualities. When we are under the pump, he's often one to take hard hit ups, and he leads the defensive line. He also challenges teh team to keep up with him. Off the field he is more vocal, and a great role model.

Those are informed decisions.
I'd argue that others claiming that the likes of Friz should be captain, seemingly because he's the best player, are il-informed.

Either way, it's a forum, don't need the thought-police trying to tell us we can or can't have an opinion!

Latest posts