What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frizell: The Team Is My Priority

getsmarty

Immortal
Frizell: The Team Is My Priority

Tue 5th April, 07:00AM A A

St George Illawarra Dragons second-rower Tyson Frizell is keen to test himself against his opposite numbers at the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane on Thursday.
The NSW Country Origin representative admits he is ready to face several members of the incumbent Queensland Marrons backrow including Sam Thaiday, Corey Parker and Matt Gillett who will all ply their trade with the Broncos.

Frizell, who was named in an extended NSW Blues squad during last season’s State of Origin campaign, admits he would be keen to represent his state at some stage during his career but for the meantime is solely focused on his role with the Dragons.
The Red-and-Whites enter the encounter on the back of a 36-0 loss to the North Queensland Cowboys and will lace-up their boots again quicker than usual due to the five-day fixture scheduling.
“Having the short turnaround is a good thing for us as it will hopefully get that loss out of the system and make us move on straight away,” said Frizell.
“We aren’t dwelling on it too much and are focused on facing the Broncos .
“They are probably one of the form teams in the pack with a lot of representatives from the Queensland Origin team so it will be a good test.

“Those kinds of players in Parker, Thaiday and Gillett are the type of guys you want to come up against as it will be a big test for me but our boys will manage.
“I’m worried about the team first and foremost and we struggled last game so helping to fix that is my first priority.
“My hand will always be up if the opportunity does come along to represent NSW but having said that my focus is helping the team get back to where they should be.
“Our attack is a work in progress at the moment and we believe it will come along sooner rather than later.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/..._team_is_.html

hazzbeen

Bench
Good luck to Frizell but really I am sick of hearing (“Our attack is a work in progress at the moment and we believe it will come along sooner rather than later.”):?

saint06

Juniors
Is he still being hampered with injury?? He has been very quiet over the past few weeks. Not the hard hitting runs that we saw last year. Or is he not getting enough help from others inside of him???

TruSaint

Referee
Is he still being hampered with injury?? He has been very quiet over the past few weeks. Not the hard hitting runs that we saw last year. Or is he not getting enough help from others inside of him???

Very good question... on nrl.com ... he ran for ONLY 18 metres off 4 runs... But he made 42 tackles.. , they worked him over... very worry some.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

To be honest, I think he's being squeezed out by Dugan in attack. They seem to be looking for Dugan every time now and poor Friz is just being used as a nothing forward. Probably, why he's not making many metres with the ball, because he's not getting any.

The directors of the team aka Marshall and Widdop need to create uncertainty, like will the pass to Dugan or Friz, that may create some holes in sliding defences.

kit66

Bench
Very good question... on nrl.com ... he ran for ONLY 18 metres off 4 runs... But he made 42 tackles.. , they worked him over... very worry some.

Exemplifies how poorly coached we are when our best attacking forward is used as a tackling machine. Frizell is the forward most likely to make a break or get us some second phase going but not if he's buggered. I wouldn't mind seeing him come off the bench around the 25 - 30 minute mark and play the rest of the game from there. Let someone else do the hard stuff early on and have Friz fresh and dangerous.
JDB off the bench ( in rotation with Cooper ) worked well for us last year as well.

TruSaint

Referee
Exemplifies how poorly coached we are when our best attacking forward is used as a tackling machine. Frizell is the forward most likely to make a break or get us some second phase going but not if he's buggered. I wouldn't mind seeing him come off the bench around the 25 - 30 minute mark and play the rest of the game from there. Let someone else do the hard stuff early on and have Friz fresh and dangerous.
JDB off the bench ( in rotation with Cooper ) worked well for us last year as well.

Fair post kit...
Friz is a machine, and i rate him highly. Cows worked him over in D, and he had nothing left in the tank. Maybe coming off the bench is an option.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

I take your points on this matter...but if we learned to complete our sets and didn't give away stupid dumb penalties then our blokes wouldn't have to do so many tackles and could concentrate on attacking opponents instead of trying to defend them...most of its just simple school boy stuff and basic mathematics ...

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
I would have thought last game against the Cowboys would have been a good test with Tamou, Scott, Taumalolo and co... And friz didn't aim up.
Now he's talking up the chance to face the Broncos forwards????

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I would have thought last game against the Cowboys would have been a good test with Tamou, Scott, Taumalolo and co... And friz didn't aim up.
Now he's talking up the chance to face the Broncos forwards????

Getting used to these comments Red.....our blokes do a lot of talking off the field but when it comes to applying it on the field...err different story I'm afraid

BLM01

First Grade
I think Frizzell should be running out / defending wide with Dugan and others running off his shoulder

rasaint

Juniors
To be frank guys I have been wondering what is going on with Frizzel. Hasn't looked dangerous or threatening this year. I put it down to still carrying a problem back injury. Whatever, we need people performing not talking things up.

If he is carrying injury then we need to give another player a spot. Is it possible that he has been over hyped? I don't know the answer to my question.

blacksafake

First Grade
Would love to see him under better coaching & structure oh which he has had neither so far in his career.He is only used as a tackling battering ram & not a hole runner or given the ball in one on one situations. His use is normally coming back inside off benji where the defence is waiting for him.

RED73V

Juniors
FAR OUT ALL OF YOU GUYS ARE HARD MARKERS. The best forward we have & your bagging him you bunch are a fickle lot !!! Even last year I rated Frizz higher then Merrin & still do NOW. Give him a break 42 tackles last week against a international pack, premiers and the golden boot player last year & probably one of the best of all time (hate to admit that cause his a QLD player) but true . Some of the best commentators & ex players are expecting Frizz to represent NSW so who are you guys to judge him???

Jubileeboy

First Grade
FAR OUT ALL OF YOU GUYS ARE HARD MARKERS. The best forward we have & your bagging him you bunch are a fickle lot !!! Even last year I rated Frizz higher then Merrin & still do NOW. Give him a break 42 tackles last week against a international pack, premiers and the golden boot player last year & probably one of the best of all time (hate to admit that cause his a QLD player) but true . Some of the best commentators & ex players are expecting Frizz to represent NSW so who are you guys to judge him???

This ^^

BennyV

Referee

Yeah guys, how dare we all have an opinion on a player that isn't 100% positive and rosey. Bunch of idiots, how can you call yourself a supporters :sarcasm::roll:

Would love to see him under better coaching & structure oh which he has had neither so far in his career.He is only used as a tackling battering ram & not a hole runner or given the ball in one on one situations. His use is normally coming back inside off benji where the defence is waiting for him.

Oh indeed, our coaching staff have no idea how to use him. Thompson too. No disrespect to Cooper and Lowe, but if you put our backrow in the Cowboys attacking structure they would be considered the best forwards in the world.

Da Doctor

Juniors
I think it is hard for anyone to look good in our team at the moment. When/if we turn it around, the group will look better. Also, it is obvious we are struggling to score points, hence the reliance on Duges etc ramps up at the expense of others (Frizell).

I am not sold on McGregor at all, but he did hint at changes if game plans are not followed, which says to me individuals are over playing their hands, passing to the 'star' players too often expecting them to do something when there are better options.

Demetriou won a Qld Cup, assistant at Cowboys last year. I believe we are undergoing a huge attacking restructure and no matter how much you practice at training, game time is the true test of uptake. I hate that we can't score at the moment, but I am reserving judgement until round 8-10. If we are still struggling and Mary is still sticking with the same playing group, then I will be going very sour on Mary, until then I hold on to hope.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Yeah guys, how dare we all have an opinion on a player that isn't 100% positive and rosey. Bunch of idiots, how can you call yourself a supporters :sarcasm::roll:

Was that an attempt at humour? Another 'woe is me' post just to join in with the rest of the naysayers?
I thought a more balanced view would've been forthcoming from you.
Guess not...Yeah, Frizz is crap, especially under those conditions, hey ?

Latest posts