What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frizell

getsmarty

Immortal
Frizell: time for Ponga Origin talk over
  • r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

NSW forward Tyson Frizell (C) has come through a contact session, saying he'll play in Origin 1.
    NSW enforcer Tyson Frizell has declared the time for talking about Kalyn Ponga over, vowing it won't just be up to him to stop the Queensland superstar in State of Origin I.

Frizell has been cleared to take his place on Wednesday night at Suncorp Stadium after taking part on Monday in his first contact session of the Blues' preparation.

Until now, Frizell had been kept in cottonwool under concussion protocols after being knocked out eight days ago in a sickening head clash with St George Illawarra teammate Josh Dugan.

He shed the non-contact bib during an opposed training session at the NSWRL Centre of Excellence at Sydney Olympic Park.

He will only have one more run alongside his right-edge teammates during Tuesday's captain's run at Suncorp.

Frizell's build-up has been less than ideal, robbing him of time to gel with right-side partners Nathan Cleary, Josh Morris and Nick Cotric.

It's significant given the Maroons are expected to focus their attack via their left edge through superstars Ponga and Cameron Munster.

The Blues spent part of Monday's session simulating plays that Munster and Ponga were likely to employ on Wednesday.

"They threw a couple of scenarios at us and it was just about getting into the grind of footy," Frizell said after the team touched down at Brisbane Airport.

"We haven't had any sort of opposed work other than edge-on-edge.

"We've done our homework. It's easy to say we know what to do.

"It's just about going out there and doing it now. There's enough talk about those guys. We've got to shut them down and that's it."

The Blues will head into the match as favourites and Frizell says the Maroons are "banking" on Munster and Ponga to spark them to victory on home soil.

The Dragons' back-rower said he was alive to the threats they posed and the team as a collective unit had planned accordingly to shut them down.

"I know they're strike players. They are players you need to watch out for," Frizell said.

"Them two guys aren't going to win it on their own.

"Queensland have been so dominant for so long because they work well together. We need to be on song as a team.

"I can't shut them down on my own. It needs to be a collective effort from the whole team.

"Queensland is probably banking on those two guys to come up with big plays but we'll bank on our whole team to do a job."

Australian Associated Press

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/6197220/frizell-time-for-ponga-origin-talk-over/?cs=13068

getsmarty

Immortal
Frizell praises Mitchell for speaking up
Dragons Den
r0_0_4651_3660_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

SPEAKING UP: Tyson Frizell says players are right to call out social media trolls who abuse them after Origin teammates Latrell Mitchell and Blake Ferguson were subjected to racial abuse online. Picture: NRL Photos
DRAGONS star Tyson Frizell says players would need to be "living under a rock" to completely steer clear of social media after Origin teammates Latrell Mitchell and Blake Ferguson were both subjected to vile racial abuse online this week.

Mitchell this week called out racial abuse he copped on his own social media channels, while news reports brought to light other racial slurs directed at Ferguson online.

The wife of Cowboys lock Josh McGuire has also spoken out about death threats her husband has received over the last week following a suspension.

They are at the worst end of the scale but people directing abuse at NRL players, racial or otherwise, on social media platforms is nothing new.

Dragons halfback Ben Hunt has stated that he's steered well clear of the online vitriol directed his way, while his wife took to Instagram last year to slam online bullies for their relentless attacks aimed at her husband.

It's a world fraught with potential difficulties but Frizell said suggestions players should stay completely offline is pointing the finger in the wrong direction.

"It's easy to just say put it aside and don't worry about it but phones, social media, the internet is part of your everyday life," Frizell said.

"Its hard not to see those things and take that in. Do you tell players not to have a phone or not open anything. You'd honestly be living under a rock if you didn't have any of that.

"Boys can cop abuse in terms of the way you play or not being a good player but for people to come out and be personal, saying things about your family or using racial slurs... it's something we can't tolerate as players.

"It's good people are becoming aware of it and we're able to say something and make something happen, not just sweep it under the carpet and ask people to ignore it."

Most people in the game, NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg among others, have thrown their support behind Mitchell for calling out the abuse.

Supporters have been in the majority, but there have been some who suggest players shouldn't give trolls oxygen by bringing added publicity to their comments.

Frizell said it's important that players speak out against it or risk sending a message to kids out there that they should simply cop it on the chin when faced with similar bullying.

"I think it's great for players to stand up against it because if we don't stand up we're sending a message to kids out there that that sort of stuff's OK," Frizell said.

"If a guy like Latrell can stand up and call that stuff out, I'm sure there's other Aboriginal kids out there that are going to be willing to stand up because Latrell did.

"It's good to see other players get behind it because it's not something you want around our game and we don't want that in society either.

"[Online abuse] is bullying. There's a lot of talk about mental health nowadays and for players to stand up and say something is great."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6331503/mitchell-right-to-speak-out-frizell/?cs=3713

nontime111

Juniors
I agree totally with Frizz here, though Im out of the loop about any of the comments to Latrell or Furgo, anyone have a link to any of the actual racial 'abuse' Id love to decide for myself if its actually racist or just personal, I saw one article they only mentioned the line about wanting to 'cut off Latrells head' utterly disgusting psychopaths....but that comments not racist, I study this so Id love to know more , I agree with Billy Slater from that FOX footy show....anyone saying racist OR vile personal stuff should be evicted from grounds! its a family place and our sport, though hard n rough is family friendly

denis preston

First Grade
I agree totally with Frizz here, though Im out of the loop about any of the comments to Latrell or Furgo, anyone have a link to any of the actual racial 'abuse' Id love to decide for myself if its actually racist or just personal, I saw one article they only mentioned the line about wanting to 'cut off Latrells head' utterly disgusting psychopaths....but that comments not racist, I study this so Id love to know more , I agree with Billy Slater from that FOX footy show....anyone saying racist OR vile personal stuff should be evicted from grounds! its a family place and our sport, though hard n rough is family friendly
Sticking up for a future team mate ?

18to87

First Grade
Frizz? any idea who you think it might be? hope theyre good whoever they are we need someone and fast
I assume this is tongue in cheek. If not, Friz has been rumoured to be going to the Roosters.

I'd be stunned if Saints signed anyone from the Roosters for next year unless it is someone injured who is considering retirement.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Exit stage left.......
Reported by the Mole today that he definitely wants out of the Dragons! The club still trying to smooth the waters, but appears he wants to take his career to another level elsewhere.
Who can blame him!

hewi

Bench
Exit stage left.......
Reported by the Mole today that he definitely wants out of the Dragons! The club still trying to smooth the waters, but appears he wants to take his career to another level elsewhere.
Who can blame him!

So so sad and all down IMO to the moronic coach. Look how well he played with Fitler in SOO. Fox sport also saying Kerr may be leaving.

jeffdragon

Bench
So he's not happy.i thought players were supposed to be professional
Certainly didn't play well.this year.
Another Ryan Matterson.,not happy Jan.

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
So he's not happy.i thought players were supposed to be professional .
Jeff I believe the Matterson scenario is more money related than Tyson which is probably unable to see career progress under the Peanuts coaching.
Different strokes in these shit modern days of contracts meaning nothing!

BBTB

Juniors
Jeff I believe the Matterson scenario is more money related than Tyson which is probably unable to see career progress under the Peanuts coaching.
Different strokes in these shit modern days of contracts meaning nothing!
Yes, been waiting for this....
His career has peaked at the Dragons.
He can't see himself winning a grand finale
at the Dragons.
Probably waiting to see if we got a decent coach.
I personally don't blame him....
Mary has soured any player, of representative quality.
This bunch of fools
we have managing our Club, is slowly killing us.

redVinme

Juniors
Yes, been waiting for this....
His career has peaked at the Dragons.
He can't see himself winning a grand finale
at the Dragons.
Probably waiting to see if we got a decent coach.
I personally don't blame him....
Mary has soured any player, of representative quality.
This bunch of fools
we have managing our Club, is slowly killing us.

Bet you friz wasn't spoken too as apart of Gould's review......

getsmarty

Immortal
So he's not happy.i thought players were supposed to be professional
Certainly didn't play well.this year.

More to it...you say that players should be professional...How about our Club ?..........

Didn't play well....Did you watch origin ?....Again more to this...Your comparison with Matterson is very unfair....

Tyson has been here for many years ..matterson wants to leave after 1 year...

Last edited: