What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

From Cutters to Dragons Squad

Drakon

Juniors
Great news on the contract upgrades for these players. Hope they get a fair chance. Wish Wakeman would take a first grade opportunity.

As well as some good young players, the Cutters did well because our club was well stocked with fringe first graders and first graders. Think Hutch, Mann, Milne, McCrone, Havili, Quinlan etc.

Mary organised a host of backup talent.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dodd: Positivity Reaps Rewards
Wed 2nd November, 07:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons centre Levi Dodd admits he will do all he can for his new teammates ahead of the new season.

The local Hurstville United junior recently agreed to terms on a one-year contract having previously been part of the successful Illawarra Cutters squad which won both the NSW Cup Premiership and NRL State Championship last season.

Dodd, who was additionally named the recipient of the 2016 Cutters Coaches Award, also explains how he changed his philosophy on rugby league which eventuated in him earning a first-grade contract.

“I’m quite keen to start my training as well as everything else that comes with it,” said Dodd.

“My goals are to win the physical battles as well as the mental ones when times are tough and you need to keep plodding along.

“As long as I keep doing my job come the trials I’m sure my body should be at its best which is my main goal.

“I put down last season’s success with the Cutters down to the bond that we had amongst the playing group and it showed in both grand final appearances.

“I believe you need to put your body on the line for that person next to you on the field and being willing to do whatever it takes for your teammates.

“Whether it be the first minute or last minute of the game, just showing up was my main thing.

“I won’t be as nervous heading into the pre-season knowing a few familiar faces but it gives me the chance as well of meeting new people.

“Throughout all my years playing football all I’ve ever wanted was to get a first-grade contract and I feel I wasn’t playing my best footy because of that.

“Last year was probably my first year I just played footy because I was enjoying it and personally I think that if you are enjoying it, like in anything you love, you just can’t wait to keep on doing it.

“That was the case last season as I couldn’t wait to get back out on that field and being excited to play with the person next to me.

“That’s what mattered to me and the rewards came and I played good footy as well.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/11/02/dodd_.html

MattoDragon

Juniors
Friggin Amen to that one Coffs

At least they would score some bloody points...and still be good with the "D" as McDickhead says.
Plus the players would buy straight into the program, and as sad as it would be for Sigurd or Vas or whoever he is, that Widdop would go pretty good with some decent coaching, and game plan.

Shit look who he has been nurtured by (or should I say "nutted") since joining us.

Anyway lets hope JD has some influence for next year and we don't loose him.... but as we all know it is McDickhead and the Moronic Board that sees no logic, or can humble themselves to make the right changes for our club's future
JD is GONE! Signed for 3 years with the Broncs

MattoDragon

Juniors
I believe that attack is the main aim. Players like Provan, Raper, Rasmussen, Ryan, Ken Maddison, Wittenberg, Beath, Edge, Stone, Young, Reddy, Wynn, Jansen, Guider, Gourlay, Weyman, Jeremy Smith, Packer and Tariq Sims are the types of forwards that will win you games. Fitzgerald was a good tackler and Keith Maddison was a solid player. Barnhill was a good player that played above his weight. The Dragons this year could not score points. I look forward to next year as I believe that the newly promoted players and new recruits will hopefully play a more attacking style of football. As soon as Weyman, Costigan and Smith departed our pack became second rate. Host and hopefully Leilua appear to have the talent to bring our pack to a higher level. Injuries also killed our chances this year with Creagh, Farrell, Glymin and Masoe not available.
Sadly, that all means nothing without a good coach...........and we ain't got one!!!

MattoDragon

Juniors
Great news on the contract upgrades for these players. Hope they get a fair chance. Wish Wakeman would take a first grade opportunity.

As well as some good young players, the Cutters did well because our club was well stocked with fringe first graders and first graders. Think Hutch, Mann, Milne, McCrone, Havili, Quinlan etc.

Mary organised a host of backup talent.
Mary couldn't organise a root in a brothel.....give me a break!
And that's the problem with our club, we are stacked with 2nd tier players and lack genuine first grade talent, apart from the obvious first graders.
Btw, you won't see Wakeman play first grade for the Dragons until Mary is gone. Wakeman refuses to play with him as coach.
Roll on Round 8, Mary should be gone by then.

BennyV

Referee
Mary couldn't organise a root in a brothel.....give me a break!
And that's the problem with our club, we are stacked with 2nd tier players and lack genuine first grade talent, apart from the obvious first graders.
Btw, you won't see Wakeman play first grade for the Dragons until Mary is gone. Wakeman refuses to play with him as coach.
Roll on Round 8, Mary should be gone by then.
So apart from our first graders, we lack first graders?

Arncliffe boy

Juniors
Players that you have mentioned are the heart of a club, if players today had a bit of Russell Cox in their blood they would be going forward all day ! "Tough as Nails"

MattoDragon

Juniors
So apart from our first graders, we lack first graders?
Before making senseless comments try reading what I said, which was, "apart from the OBVIOUS first graders."
Meaning players like Packer, Frizell, Widdop, Aitken, Dugan.
Players like Marketo, Matthews, Quinlan, Havilli, McCrone, are at best 2nd Tier. They wouldn't regularly make first grade anywhere else.

BennyV

Referee
Before making senseless comments try reading what I said, which was, "apart from the OBVIOUS first graders."
Players like Marketo, Matthews, Quinlan, Havilli, McCrone, are at best 2nd Tier. They wouldn't regularly make first grade anywhere else.
Looking at our first grade line up...
Dugan
Macdonald
Aitken (or Mann, depending on your POV)
Milne
Nightingale
WIddop
???
Packer
McInnes
Vaughn
Friz
Thompson
JDB

Sims
Mose/Ah Mau
Leilua
??? (Although I would argue that Havili and Host could get a bench spot at most clubs)

So other than a halfback, it looks like we have a first grade team of 'obvious' first graders who individually would be picked to play first grade at other club.

Our problem through the team is that we have a coach who wouldn't be qualified to coach in the Under 8s Division C competition trying to pull the strings.

Smurf

Juniors
So , we sign the cutters players , who I personally like.
Titans sign Proctor and Hayne

Oh and we let JD go too.

FMD

Old Timer

Coach
Benny V
Your statement above is quite true however the question needs to be asked how many would make a spot in the top 4 sides or in fact top 8 sides in their current selected positions?
All teams theoretically have 1st grade players but some are just better than others and if you have a propensity to gather "others" then you finish down the ladder just as we are doing now.
The coach has plenty to answer for no doubt but I believe we need a reality check in respect of the actual strength of our roster regardless of the coach.

Uplifting

Juniors
Agreed.

Winning the NSW cup means that our fringe FG players are better than other clubs' fringe FG players. And, that means those players that played well for the Cutters would be pushing for FG at any other club. It's logical.

PerthDragon

Juniors
JD is GONE! Signed for 3 years with the Broncs

Matto.
I realize he'e gone as my post you referred to was posted about 3 days before it was announced that he was leaving our sinking ship.
Just another great F#&k up by our club of course.

Our BIG problem will be is if our players kick on and win a few games the Board of Knob Jockeys will probably give him an extension, as has been mentioned in other posts.

So from a supporters view we will be wanting our players to do well, but if something really clicks with the playng group then we could end up with this prick for God knows how long.

Just more misery for us supporters if this happens

BennyV

Referee
Benny V
Your statement above is quite true however the question needs to be asked how many would make a spot in the top 4 sides or in fact top 8 sides in their current selected positions?
All teams theoretically have 1st grade players but some are just better than others and if you have a propensity to gather "others" then you finish down the ladder just as we are doing now.
The coach has plenty to answer for no doubt but I believe we need a reality check in respect of the actual strength of our roster regardless of the coach.
Even looking at this, its not as if we have a bunch of slouches, I'd argue that quite a few f them could crack a spot in the Top 4 sides.

Dugan - Arguable, might pip WIghton in the raiders lineup
Macdonald - definintely could get a spot playing for Broncos or cows
Aitken (or Mann, depending on your POV) - not sure TBH, but Mann was in the Top 17 for the minor premiers last year.
Milne - I've got no doubt that he could beat out Ryan Morgan or Chase Blair for a spot.
Nightingale - As per Macdonald
WIddop - tough one, would Storm take him over Blake Green? Unsure, probably not in current form, but then again he wouldnt be in current form if he played with them.
???
Packer - probably not, maybe Broncos
McInnes - nope
Vaughn - as per Packer, but less chance
Friz - easily get a spot for Cowboys or Broncos
Thompson - As above
JDB - not sure, but unlikely to get a spot anywhere other than bench

Sims - as per JDB
Mose/Ah Mau - as per JDB
Leilua - unsure, I'm sure the Top 4 clubs wouldnt mind a project player of his ability
??? (Although I would argue that Havili and Host could get a bench spot at most clubs)

So again, individually there's a lot of good players there. The coach has most to answer for out of all of them.

Old Timer

Coach
Benny V
The squad is certainly a bit if a mixed bag IMO.
Interesting that your forwards are least likely compared to the backs (not sure I agree re your view on Thomspon) but the others pretty accurate.
Many think that our forwards are our strength.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I believe that our revamped forwards are a strength but they need a good hooker as a link man being McInnes, Havili, McCrone or Robson. In this regard we should select on current playing ability and ignore age and experience as winning is all that matters.

red rocket

Juniors
I believe that our revamped forwards are a strength but they need a good hooker as a link man being McInnes, Havili, McCrone or Robson. In this regard we should select on current playing ability and ignore age and experience as winning is all that matters.
Agree but we lack a ballplaying forward jdb is not the answer I don't know he we drop but I think herbert has to be in first grade can hit a hole very mature for his age