What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fullback of the decade?

Fullback of the decade?

• Billy Slater

Votes: 34 29.3%
  • Anthony Minichiello

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • Other

Votes: 12 10.3%

• Total voters

typicalfan

Coach
As a player overall Lockyer is destined imo to be immortal bound. Doing things like having the most national caps ahead of Mal Meninga most tries along side Ken Irvine and all the rep footy he has played etc etc But as a fullback alone he is also great but I don't see what takes him past a guy like Ken Thornett for example who was good enough to force an immortal like Langlands to play at centre in some rep games or the likes of Badge or Jack who were outstanding fullbacks at all levels for many years.

I am saying I think Lockyer is on par with those guys as a fullback and I think that is a complement for any player because I think Minichiello doesn't get there and Slater is still a fair way off.

Munky

Coach
Anyone remember the Aussie vs NZ game a few years back where K Hunt went off and Lockyer switched back to fullback. Johns was at half and Thurston came off the bench to fill in at five-eigth.

He was brilliant.

Noa

First Grade
People bang on about Slater's mistake in this years GF.

Minichello made a similar drop off a bomb in the 03 GF and it handed Penrith back the lead with Priddis scoring soon after and giving the team the confidence to take the game.

It had as much impact on the game as Sattler's tackle.

Shhhh, I pointed out Mini made errors more regularly then Slater, they dont want to know.

typicalfan

Coach
I dont ever recall Minichiello costing Australia in the WC, in fact he like all great players lift on the bigger stage, and they make up for their mistakes.

Noa

First Grade
I dont ever recall Minichiello costing Australia in the WC, in fact he like all great players lift on the bigger stage, and they make up for their mistakes.

Slater didnt cost us the WCF, didnt help, but we had plenty of time to recover. Not quite as bad as helping your team choke in another GF.

And you do realise Mini had only 3 top-class years.

Thats it.

PS. He did have some good years on the wing before those years at FB.

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
3 seasons for Australia and 5 seasons for NSW 2003-2007. Injury is the only reason that stopped. It isn't like anyone dethroned him due to form. Meanwhile Billy Slater was the best fullback in the competition for one year? 2008? that is all.

2007 it was Karmichael Hunt and Matt Bowen..that is right not even the top two of his state and 2009 was Jarryd Hayne.

so where does Billy stand? not in the league of the other two in the poll at this stage.

Noa

First Grade
3 seasons for Australia and 5 seasons for NSW 2003-2007. Injury is the only reason that stopped. It isn't like anyone dethroned him due to form. Meanwhile Billy Slater was the best fullback in the competition for one year? 2008? that is all.

2007 it was Karmichael Hunt and Matt Bowen..that is right not even the top two of his state and 2009 was Jarryd Hayne.

so where does Billy stand? not in the league of the other two in the poll at this stage.

Unfortunatley LU polls dont determine greatness, otherwise Alan Tongue would be an immortal.

Anyway I put the numbers up before and clearly Slaters best 3 years > Minis best 3 years. Then you can add the previous 3 years where he put up still very good numbers at FB. So thats 6 years of good to great play at the #1 position.

Minichello had 3 + 2 good years as a winger.

And I'll state for the final time, Mini > Slater, Slater > Mini I can cop, anything else is rubbish.

Last edited:

anjado

Juniors
If you were picking a team of the decade, Lockyer is the only one you can pick because it leaves room to have Lockyer and Fittler. I think Slater is the next best choice he has been a fullback since 2003 and been consistently great the entire time. Minichello would be third he was great for 3 years.

I would go
Lockyer : So both he and Fittler can make the side.

Slater : Consistantly great since his debut.

Minichello : Great for three years.

Stewart : Been superb for Manly.

Bowen : Inconsistant but has been one of the most exciting players of the decade.

Hodgson : Was very good for Parramatta and Wests.

Wesser : Had one incredible season in 2003 though inconsistant scored well over 100 tries for the decade.

Patten : Always very consistant unlucky to never play for NSW

Hayne : Unbelivable season this season.

Hunt : Got better over time played well since his debut.

typicalfan

Coach
Keep your stats...until Slater delivers at rep level to the extent Lockyer or Minichiello did I don't think he deserves to be alongside them. How can Slater be the best fullback of the decade when he was only the best fullback for one year?

Hanscholo

Bench
There hasnt been a fullback in the current decade worthy of the title. Ive never seen a group that was more prone to ups and downs in form. You can pull yourselves over slater all you like, but the bloke has had way too many prolonged quiet periods in his career to rate as the best of the decade. Then there is Minichello, a good fullback, who had hands like feet for 5 years then was injured for the other 5. Bowen, well yea learn to catch a bomb and come back and see me. The closest i can come to a consitent high performing fullback is Luke Patten, and his lack of speed over the long haul kinda hurts his otherwise brilliant ability.

So yea, none.

Noa

First Grade
Keep your stats...until Slater delivers at rep level to the extent Lockyer or Minichiello did I don't think he deserves to be alongside them. How can Slater be the best fullback of the decade when he was only the best fullback for one year?

Dont think Slater is the best of the decade, Locky is.

Didnt hurt Mini that that NSW were on top while he played, while Slater had to wait and force the incumbent Hunt onto the bench.

And like I said before Minis game, like Brett Stewart, is better suited to rep level then Billys is becaused its more direct and traditional.

Eelementary

Post Whore
14.%20David%20Vaealiki%20170.jpg

None of the other contenders played Test matches for NZ at fullback. :sarcasm:

typicalfan

Coach
also with Slater at 26 his best years are theoretically ahead of him, I say theoretically because this was the same stage as when Minichiello started going down. Slater will most likely go into the new decade as the best fullback alongside Hayne.

Slater needs to perform better for QLD to be considered alongside those names.

and as for Minichiello benefiting from a great NSW side I think NSW benefited from him seeing as how badly we go without him. We miss others as well but he is just one part of a successful machine.

Eelementary

Post Whore
There hasnt been a fullback in the current decade worthy of the title. Ive never seen a group that was more prone to ups and downs in form. You can pull yourselves over slater all you like, but the bloke has had way too many prolonged quiet periods in his career to rate as the best of the decade. Then there is Minichello, a good fullback, who had hands like feet for 5 years then was injured for the other 5. Bowen, well yea learn to catch a bomb and come back and see me. The closest i can come to a consitent high performing fullback is Luke Patten, and his lack of speed over the long haul kinda hurts his otherwise brilliant ability.

So yea, none.

Wade McKinnon - he was bollocks for the Warriors this year but his second stint at Parra was phenomenal and his first year at the Warriors...Phwoar! He had it all: one-on-one defence, tackle breaking ability, safe as a house at the back and a great support player.

Red Bear

Referee
Hodgeson was very underated i think, very good play who used to link up very well in that tigers backline and a courages defender

ostrich20

Juniors
Another one not mentioned at all I think was Clinton Schifcofske. Unlucky not to play more origin games than he did. Very underated player.

Tommax25

Bench

So yea, none.

Brett Stewart is not prone to ups and downs, and neither is Patten, and niether was the roosters fullback, he merely got injured.

Charlie124

First Grade
Lockyer for mine.

Best fullback for four seasons. (2000-03)

Compared to...

Minichiello: 2 Seasons (04-05)
Bowen: 1 Season (07)
Slater: 1 Season (08)
Hayne: 1 Season (09)

All that really highlights is how many more top class fullbacks there are around at the moment, as pointed out earlier in this thread.

Slater is my #1, actually as a pure footballer he's the best I've ever seen in attack and then in defence, well the amount of tries he saves on the line makes it difficult for comparison. He also plays at an incredibly high tempo which is why he breaks games open and makes the odd massive error, it's the excitement and unpredictability players like him bring to the game that have made Rugby League lift beyond its off field issues.

Agree 100%. Slater has had the occasional brain explosion in some big games (hardly enough to label him as "prone") but the sheer amount of tries he has scored from nothing which no other fullback in the comp could score far outweighs these. He has scored some freakish tries due to his explosive speed and his uncanny ability to get to the ball inches before it goes dead. Countless time ive watched him score a try and thought to myself "no other fullback in the comp could have scored that".

Lockyer is a counrty mile ahead of the rest over the last decade

You take the other two out of their team and their team still wins you take Lockyer out of the Broncos and we are F#$ked

Thats a pretty stupid way to look at it, youre saying that because the Storm and Roosters don't rely on their respective fullbacks to win that means they arent as good as Lockyer??

Latest posts