What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Funniest Fan Abuse To A Ref/Official

Grail

Juniors
NP said:
Well this wasn't abuse, but I remember a game at Newcastle a few years ago I was at.
It was Knights v Eels and 4 parra players got sent to the bin, including Michael Beutner twice.
Everybody loved Hollywood Harrigan that friday night, but he got relegated to Premier League the next week and had to apologise to Eels players at Eels training :lol:

I was at that game as well - one of the worst reffing performances I've ever seen. So he should have been dropped. Harrigan reffed only one side that night. Even the Knights supporters sitting next to me thought it was disgraceful.

On topic:
Not abuse at a Ref, but a player.
I always used to love hearing "Get off the goey, Joey" and "Andrew Johns, sponsored by Isso 24hour Brothel"

Penance

Juniors
Sort of off topic to the ref, but i remember i was at Parramatta stadium when it was like 64-22, parra got a penalty in the broncos 10, and some drunk eels fan screams out

"TAKE THE TWO"

Hutchy86

Juniors
was picked up during a Parra v Storm matchon Fox Sports... and I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned it cos it was (too) loud.
Maybe happened in 2003-4.. Nathan Hindy had aggressively flopped onto Billy Slater and was penalised by the ref... when Hindy was called up for his lecture the mics picked him up saying "who cares about that little 'c-word' anyway!"
He basically said what everyone was thinking:lol: :lol:

Raider_69

Post Whore
Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
or minutes into the game:
"they've been doing it all day ref!!"

:lol: love that one, if you get any differential penalty inside the first few minutes "Bout f**king time ref, they've doing it all day!"

Misanthrope

Staff member
Not so much funny as inappropriate. There's a stunning touch judge in the lower grades by the name of Kylie. Whenever we had her for a home game, I'd throw a proposal out there. Nothing too blue - usually asking for a date or something. The last time was:

"Return my calls Kylie! Or at least keep your curtains open"

I felt supremely awkward when my mate Doddy (who refs Harold Matthews/SG Ball) introduced me to her one day.

I enjoy a special relationship with female staff at football stadiums. Our pet security guard in year one of the Crusade was Vanessa. She was awesome. Even checked on me when I passed out :lol:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Sort of off topic to the ref, but i remember i was at Parramatta stadium when it was like 64-22, parra got a penalty in the broncos 10, and some drunk eels fan screams out

"TAKE THE TWO"

:lol:

I'm a strong exponent of the unnecesary field goal. I've been known to yell it out even at 40-0 down.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Misanthrope said:

I'm a strong exponent of the unnecesary field goal. I've been known to yell it out even at 40-0 down.

:lol: Ive been known to call for the field goal when we're getting cained or havnt scored yet... "The Field goal is on! Ave it!!"

Eelectrica

Referee
Angry_eel said:
wasn't that game at parramatta?
Nope. Definetly Newcastle. Remember that game well.
If Harrigon had been hit by a truck that night I think I'd have celebrated.

Misanthrope said:

My mate's coach gave his team a massive sprey after losing 50-0 one week. He said they have nothing in attack. The next week they were down 38-0 so on the final play he kicked a field goal and asked his coach if the attack was better.

That season they lost about 5 games by a scoreline like 50-1.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
my favourite is an oldie but a gooden:

"im blind!
Im deaf!
I wanna be a ref!"
This is a slightly similar one often heard at Warriors games:

"He's gay!
He's bent!
His arse is up for rent!
REFEREEEEEEEEEEE!"

My personal favourites:

"Hey touchie, stand up!!! Oh, you are standing."

"Hey touchie, sue your barber - they left a hole in your haircut!"

Nikki

Coach
Cant remember what year, but there was a game Raiders v Eels down in Canberra and Mander had had an absolute shocker. We were hanging around the back and someone came across a mangy old broom. I was dared to take it over to Mander when he left the stadium and tell him "Clean up his act". Didnt think I would do it... Until I saw him! I think I even had Eels players families applauding me that day :lol:

Nikki

Coach
My other insult is to players when they are laying all over one of my players "Get off him, he's not your Mum!"

Parra Glory

Juniors
"they have been doing it all game ref.." lol this was yelled out by the person behind me 30 seconds into the game

Raider_69

Post Whore
Marshall_magic said:
My mate's coach gave his team a massive sprey after losing 50-0 one week. He said they have nothing in attack. The next week they were down 38-0 so on the final play he kicked a field goal and asked his coach if the attack was better.

That season they lost about 5 games by a scoreline like 50-1.

:lol: i did that in my last game, was in a side that got smashed every week, i knew it was going to be my last year and id never kicked a field goal, so with about a minute left, i snapped one over, we lost 42-1 :cool:
Naturally me and the team celebrated like we'd won the GF, the opposition were pissing themselves

paulp

Juniors
Best one by far was at the great clash between Souths and Lebanon in 2002 at Redfern. The guest referee was former referee Paul MacBlane. Now anybody who remembers anything about Paul would remember that he is famous for an incident in a broom closet at Rosehill Racecourse.

Now at Redfern this night Paul had just awarded a try and a bloke behind the posts yelled out "Paul when are you coming out of the closet !" To Pauls credit he tried to reply along the lines that at least he was enjoying himself in the closet ! All the Souths players and touchies had a bit of a chuckle about it as well.

Raider_69 said:
:lol: i did that in my last game, was in a side that got smashed every week, i knew it was going to be my last year and id never kicked a field goal, so with about a minute left, i snapped one over, we lost 42-1 :cool:
Naturally me and the team celebrated like we'd won the GF, the opposition were pissing themselves

With my mate though, the other teams used to be filthy that they didn't keep them scoreless. My mates team went up like they won the grand final.

Nuke

Staff member
In the Reserve-Grade Grand Final in 2001 in Perth, a team-mate of mine (who, shall we say, gets a bit frustrated at times - especially at referees!) had a go at the ref. We were losing, and the referee was definitely helping out the other team (and that's not just coming from me as a player). We had yet another weak penalty against us, and my team-mate shouted "Hey _____ (insert ref's first name), just give 'em the trophy ya cheatin' dog merkin".
The ref looked at him, motioned for my team-mate to come to him, and asked him to repeat what he said.
My team-mate responded "Oh, so you're a deaf cheatin' dog merkin too?!"

Guess who got sent off!

Latest posts