What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Furners Job Safe

d-a-z-z-a

Juniors
Canberra chairman declares Furner's job safe

BY JAMES BUCKLEY
02 Aug, 2011 04:00 AM
Raiders chairman John McIntyre has labelled Canberra's failed 2011 NRL season a disappointment but feels theres no need to make any changes to the coaching staff.The board will conduct its annual review of the club's performance in about three months and McIntyre said coach David Furner's position wouldn't be put under the spotlight despite the club's failure to qualify for the finals.
Injuries have cruelled Canberra this year with influential five-eighth Terry Campese's absence felt the hardest.
Representative stars David Shillington, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and Josh Dugan have also spent extended stints on the sideline.
"You take Terry Campese out of any team - he's just so bloody important his contributions," McIntyre said.
"It's obviously a very disappointing season for everybody particularly the players. Its not a matter of doing any finger pointing or anything like that, it's all a team game.
"When the emotion of the season has died down, just prior to the guys getting into the pre-Christmas training, so sometime in October, November, we'll sit down and we'll have a review.
"It's not just the footy team, it's about what things we may have been able to do better and how we address that."
The Raiders will also use the off-season to search for an eighth board member after philanthropic businessman Jim Murphy died in May.
"We've just let this season ride out," McIntyre said. "There's no desperate hurry [to replace Murphy], let's just acknowledge the fact that he was such a revered bloke on that board."
Canberra's 29-10 loss to the Warriors on Sunday left it stranded in 14th and out of finals contention.

d-a-z-z-a

Juniors
The Raiders will also use the off-season to search for an eighth board member after philanthropic businessman Jim Murphy died in May.

it seems to me, the only way anyone ever leaves the Raiders Board is when they die, shouldnt the board always be looking for the best individuals?? and actually be set goals?? and achieving them??

IMO there is zero accountability for anything by our board... and it seems the only people getting blames are the coaches and players(not that they are perfect either).. would really love to see a Meninga or an Osbourne or a Laurie Daley or a Ricky Stuart run a comb through our club(like Phil Gould is doing) and take out some of the trash that is lazing around our proud club.

Anyone agree?????

legend

Coach
Completely agree. Nepotism at its best IMO. It is Canberra so they have been able learn off the pollies but I think we have perfected the art.

What a farce!

For me there are more than one factor that has contributed to our season.

Coach , injured players ( and key players ) , out of form players. to name a few.

So to blame it solely on our coach wouldnt be right so I can understand that they arent looking directly at him to blame.

I would also like to see a bit more transparency in regards to our board , there's no doubt that it is treated like a boys club.

Hooch

Juniors
How on earth can a coach not be under pressure from the board after such a disastrous season. What a crock.

David Furner must give the best head in the whole ACT region

I feel for you guys, The board and Coach should take ownership

Start a fresh board, change the managers involved

Theres just too much talent going to waste and there are better coaches out there that needs a job - i.e Anderson, Gerogalis, Meninga etc

bileduct

Coach
Theres just too much talent going to waste and there are better coaches out there that needs a job - i.e Anderson, Gerogalis, Meninga etc
Meninga coached the Raiders from 1997-2001.

Look at his 2001 season. He didn't know what to do with a team that was missing all of it's star players either.

bileduct

Coach
I'd like to see Furner be able to put his best team on the park before passing any further judgement on him, something he hasn't been able to do at all in 2011.

Consistency has been a problem at the Raiders for much longer than Furner has been coach - this isn't new. Also, Furner has a much better youth retention/promotion policy than that f**kwit Elliott ever had.

If 2012 yields a similar result to 2011 without all the injuries, then by all means, I'd like to see someone else come in and take the reigns. But until then I can understand while Furner has the backing of the board.

d-a-z-z-a

Juniors
I think there comes a time when enough is enough. As a club havent we been "re-building" for the past 10 years? every year its either "ohhh to many injuries this year" or " we are still developing as a team..next year is going to be big" or "with the new signings coming in we should be contesting next year"... to me thats rubbish... what about last year?? i dont think we had any injury problems then..we had the best forward platform in the NRL.. we were rubbish for half the year.. then came good with 8 games to go.. now we are back to rubbish... surely Campo isnt the KEY to our team.. and surely you can fix this problem given an entire off season.. look at what the cowboys have done without JT.. that is a sign of a quality team.. unlike our big group of talented individuals

How many years have we thrown away and every time we are told we're just "re-building". To me it seems some clubs have it... and other clubs dont...sadly i think we're the later... can any one remember a time we had a solid consistant team? or we actually felt that THIS YEAR we actually have a chance to win the comp or would be deserving to win it? with the amount of solid talent that we have had come and go in our club surely we should have done a bit better over the years.. and who takes blame?

To me the people who are running the show should be, AKA Board of Directors. I'd love to see the members put up some notice about getting some new board members in there, probably some ex modern time players should be on there.. we need a change and i really dont think those old board members are going to be changing themselves..

I guess everyone will be happy to find our selves in 2022 with still no premierships since 1994, Josh Dugan retiring from the Roosters with 2 premierships and 20 origin caps under his belt, Josh papali the NZ forward pack leader playing out of Mt Smart Stadium and the same old board of directors recently appointing Daniel Furner as our head coach.

d-a-z-z-a

Juniors
If 2012 yields a similar result to 2011 without all the injuries, then by all means, I'd like to see someone else come in and take the reigns. But until then I can understand while Furner has the backing of the board.

I think your point on 2012 is a given.. and it is obvious he must be let go if he fails again in 2012. but i mean what happens if we get an injury to Dugan all year.. do we give him another chance??

I think in this day and age of NRL ... if you coach 2009 and finish 13th, then 2010 and finish 6th and then 2011 and finish 13th(or so) again.. i think you need to be switched.. the coach of the broncos or saints would be sacked if they missed the 8 most likely.. why are we okay with this mediocracy!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Who would be the replacement?

Lets not forget in most places when you hear "His job is safe" they go the next week.

In this case I doubt that, still who would you hire?

bileduct

Coach
I think your point on 2012 is a given.. and it is obvious he must be let go if he fails again in 2012. but i mean what happens if we get an injury to Dugan all year.. do we give him another chance??
Dude, it hasn't just been Campese we've been missing. I'm sure I'm just stating the obvious, but for a lot of the year we've been without Dugan, Shillington, TLL, Tongue (debatable as to whether this was a loss), just about everyone else has been injured at least once. Orford turned out to be an absolute dud, Monaghan was an idiot, and a handful of guys are always playing out of position. Just about the entire leadership group has been missing the majority of the time.

Furner showed in 2010 that he could steer the team in the right direction when it mattered most. We were a missed penalty goal from reaching week 3 in the finals vs. St. George and playing like premiership contenders.

What happened this year has been unfortunate, but I don't think Furner has to take the entire blame for not being able to turn shit into gold. We had good wins against the Storm at their home (something that Elliott and Henry couldn't do), and at home against the Dragons. That to me says that our only real problem is consistency, something that I would obviously like to see change for the better.

And yeah, the last 10 years has been disappointing. The Mal Meninga years before them were no better either. But at least last year Furner was able to break one losing streak... ten years without a finals win.

If Furner can regularly put his best team on the park (and the money from Tongue and Orford is spent elsewhere) then I am confident he can win a premiership.

Last edited:

d-a-z-z-a

Juniors
Good points, i agree we have had other injury problems, however for a few weeks we have had pretty much a full strength team(minus campo) go out there and play like trash.. as well we have papali playing off his nuts to make up for the TLL or shillo losses.

Anyway.. my point is about putting alot more accountability onto our board and trying to get a change of culture into our club.. and i think that starts from the top.

Truly i am sick and tired of watching our team play below their potential and that needs a change of coach or management if its ever going to change.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
We went into the season with a poor attitude - I contribute it to the whole stupid monaghan affair and campo's injury. Once we started losing all those games in a row we were buckleys chance of making the finals and we've just been drifting ever since. Apart from losing a lot of games, the negatives have been Furner's persistence with Tongue at hooker and the orford debacle. On the bright side Fensom, Williams, mccrone, papalli, ferguson, croker and Dugan have shown their class. A settled pre season will do us the world of good, top 8 next year.

I read something today ( not sure if was TLL or Campo) about how the players believed their own hype at the begining of the year. This is attitude.

One thing is for sure they wont enter next year with the same hype

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I read something today ( not sure if was TLL or Campo) about how the players believed their own hype at the begining of the year. This is attitude.

One thing is for sure they wont enter next year with the same hype
That's the problem with a young coach - they struggle to keep the lid on things at times. Furner has to get us to the 8 next year minimum. Anything other than that is a failure.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I'd like to see Furner be able to put his best team on the park before passing any further judgement on him, something he hasn't been able to do at all in 2011.

Consistency has been a problem at the Raiders for much longer than Furner has been coach - this isn't new. Also, Furner has a much better youth retention/promotion policy than that f**kwit Elliott ever had.

Couldnt agree more

Latest posts