What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future coaches ?!

Cagey Mac

Bench
As I've mentioned before Potter was a fullback and a dual Dally M player at two different clubs. He knows how to read play and how to create backline momentum
Dare I say; he knows how to construct an attack.

Mr Red

First Grade
yeah we would all love Bellamy, Hasler or the likes but lets be honest it wont happen.
so...
Mick Potter for mine.
Daniel Anderson second choice.

Keep Nathan Brown as far away from the club as possible... no good can come from having him and Dousty re-united.. you all think Dousty is causing troubles now, dont let him get his mate back, it will become a boys club again...
i wonder if Brown and Dousty still own that racehorse together???

Cagey Mac

Bench
yeah we would all love Bellamy, Hasler or the likes but lets be honest it wont happen.
so...
Mick Potter for mine.
Daniel Anderson second choice.

Keep Nathan Brown as far away from the club as possible... no good can come from having him and Dousty re-united.. you all think Dousty is causing troubles now, dont let him get his mate back, it will become a boys club again...
i wonder if Brown and Dousty still own that racehorse together???

Browny's problem in a nutshell!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fuDDqU6n4o

Changaman

Juniors
Brownie dropped Soward in the last game in 2008 against the Roosters, in a wet and horrible game we lost the game and the chance to get into the finals.

Is any of this sounding familiar?

Never Brownie again.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I would have no problem with Brown as long as there's no more of his ex-team mates around.

I maintain he's a good coach, & he turned a lot of players into great first-graders. Was losing to Tigers in the preliminary in '05 his fault? Hardly. The only time Brown pissed me off was when he chose Rogers over Soward (!) because Cooper & Gasnier requested it. That showed that the players had too much say at the club - hence why I'd only have him if there's no more ex-team mates.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There are obvious similarities between Brown and Price. Youngest coaches in the NRL, and an inconsistent team on the field. Has Brown become older and wiser? Well maybe. But history shows that success in the UK rarely translates to success in the NRL.

Cagey Mac

Bench
There are obvious similarities between Brown and Price. Youngest coaches in the NRL, and an inconsistent team on the field. Has Brown become older and wiser? Well maybe. But history shows that success in the UK rarely translates to success in the NRL.
  • Unless he's got a rich mate that says "At my signal, unleash hell" and a bank balance to match.
  • Puts together a team that has a similar range of ethnicity as an ESL squad

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
Price should not coach us next year.
Should be dismissed.
He has recruited no one so there should not be a problem with new personnel and a new coach.
Some of his decisions this year totally mystifying eg replacing Rein after he scores 2 tries. Playing Vidot on the wrong side. Dropping Soward and of course not dropping Hornby whose very poor season has stuffed up the year for Creagh Bmoz and Cooper. Hospital passes or crab ways running.
Daniel Anderson anyone ?

• Unless he's got a rich mate that says "At my signal, unleash hell" and a bank balance to match.
  • Puts together a team that has a similar range of ethnicity as an ESL squad

LOL@50uff$ haven't really won anything yet.....

My query with Potter is why he spent all those years coaching in the lower grades, then went to the UK, without seeking a role with another NRL club. Sure, he was never going to usurp Browny with the Doust factor preventing anything but the second coming of the Messiah from a change in coach occurring. And it occurred when Bennett aka the Messiah arrived.

Just not sure Potter has the NRL experience that someone like Maguire has, who was assistant coach at the Storm under Bellamy.

Saint69

Juniors
Brownie dropped Soward in the last game in 2008 against the Roosters, in a wet and horrible game we lost the game and the chance to get into the finals.

Never Brownie again.

2007 was it,we made the finals in 2008 knocked out by Manly in the first week.

You were right we were beaten by the Roosters Rd 26 2008,we made the finals though and were beaten 38-6 by Manly and knocked out in the first week.

Last edited:

Gomarchin

Juniors

Never Brownie again.

We played the Roosters in the last game of 2008 and we both needed to win to make the top 4. Yes it was wet and horrible at the SFS - Roosters won and we finished 7th, the Roosters 4th. I'm sure Soward played that game but was dropped for the next game which was the first semi against Manly at Brookvale. Brown dropped Soward and it was reported after the game that he decided to drop him after consulting with senior players.

Changaman

Juniors
2007 was it,we made the finals in 2008 knocked out by Manly in the first week.

Friday, September 5th, 2008

Sydney Roosters St George Illawarra Dragons 10 - 0

Teams
Fullback 1. A. MINICHIELLO
Wing 2. B. GROSE
Centre 3. S. SA 3. )
Centre 4. I. SOLIOLA
Wing 5. S. PERRETT
Five-Eighth 6. B. ANASTA (c)
Halfback 7. M. PEARCE
Front Row 8. M. O'MELEY
Hooker 9. R. BROWN
Front Row 10. N. MYLES
Second Row 11. W. MASON
Second Row 20. A. CHERRINGTON
Lock 13. C. FITZGIBBON
Bench 12. A. TUPOU
Bench 14. L. PAEA 15.
Bench 15. D. SHILLINGTON 16.
Bench 17. J. AUBUSSON 17.
Coach B. FITTLER

Fullback 22. B. MORRIS
Wing 2. W. SAILOR
Centre 3. M. GASNIER (c)
Centre 4. M. COOPER
Wing 5. J. MORRIS
Five-Eighth 6. B. ROGERS
Halfback 7. B. HORNBY
Front Row 8. D. HUNT
Hooker 9. S. WEBB
Front Row 10. J. RYLES
Second Row 11. L. SETU
Second Row 12. B. CREAGH
Lock 13. D. YOUNG
Bench 14. M. PRIOR
Bench 15. K. REYNOLDSON
Bench 16. B. SCOTT
Bench 17. B. ELLIS
Coach N. BROWN

Cagey Mac

Bench
LOL@50uff$ haven't really won anything yet.....

My query with Potter is why he spent all those years coaching in the lower grades, then went to the UK, without seeking a role with another NRL club. Sure, he was never going to usurp Browny with the Doust factor preventing anything but the second coming of the Messiah from a change in coach occurring. And it occurred when Bennett aka the Messiah arrived.

Just not sure Potter has the NRL experience that someone like Maguire has, who was assistant coach at the Storm under Bellamy.

Potter is 48 an has a lot of years of experience behind him
Being an assistant coach doesn't give you the kind of man management experience that you get from being the head honcho and Potter was named Super League Coach of the Year in 2008 after leading the Dragons (albeit the Caltalans version) to their first GF in 2007)
We're comparing this to a thirty something newby that's done nothing in Price.
Potter deserves a shot IMO and has very sound credentials

Whilst Doust thinks his position is not under threat for delivering premierships, we wont get a dominant coach. He needs to be made to feel pre-Bennett and we might get a top coach. Folkes has done a good job defensively for us, so might be a show and I would love to have Daniel Anderson.

If Doust is still on control, look for someone like Steve Georgalis to take over

mmap dragons

Juniors
Stuart would have been a perfect fit IMO but Doust obviously passed in trying to bring him to the club (Considering media reports linking Stuart to the Dragons).

Bellamy would be ideal due to his ability as a coach and as he commands respect of his players, Something that Price can't. This unfortunently won't happen as Doust won't get involved in a bidding war for his services (presumably with the Rorters and the cheats) and I believe Doust's ego may be threatened by Bellamy's persona.

As I'm a realist and in a cynical mood, I foresee Doust extending Price's contract after his tenure expires. The reason? The Price will be right.

Minh

First Grade
If we are this sh#t this time next year and Price gets an extension that'll do me.

Latest posts