What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

siv

First Grade
Nrl clubs only have 3 main sources of football related income. nrl grant, sponsorship and game day sales of memberships, tickets and corporate boxes. Handicapping one of them doesn’t seem a wise move!
Memberships are growing during covid

Game day sales dont effect this

Ticketeting or gate receipts is considered a minor or break even revenue stream these days

Corporates are what we get at WSS where one side of the field is dedicated. Cant see this tax "entertaining" tax loophole lasting forever. Once the givernment says they want 39% of the action, it will die off

Iamback

Coach

Ticketeting or gate receipts is considered a minor or break even revenue stream these days

Corporates are what we get at WSS where one side of the field is dedicated. Cant see this tax "entertaining" tax loophole lasting forever. Once the givernment says they want 39% of the action, it will die off

Even the corporates. Every side has their own local businesses that for some the centralised ground doesn't work. So it is no guarantee that you even get more if they are moved

mongoose

Coach
AFL cities love the sport whilst it seems in Sydney more people hate league then like it.
You're probably right but that's not all League's fault, Sydney has always been a more competitive market than Melbourne. There is no AFU to compete with AFL.

Iamback

Coach
You're probably right but that's not all League's fault, Sydney has always been a more competitive market than Melbourne. There is no AFU to compete with AFL.

Lets look at the Professional sport teams here:

9 NRL
2 BBL
3 A League
1 NBL
2 AFL
2 Netball
1 Super Rugby

That is assuming everyone likes sport here too but 20 professional teams.

mongoose

Coach
Lets look at the Professional sport teams here:

9 NRL
2 BBL
3 A League
1 NBL
2 AFL
2 Netball
1 Super Rugby

That is assuming everyone likes sport here too but 20 professional teams.
you realise Melbourne is exactly the same, except 9 AFL and 1 NRL

AFL cities love the sport whilst it seems in Sydney more people hate league then like it.
I'll never understand why fumbleball draws such high attendances. My only guess is it has more fans from the upper class who see it as a status symbol to attend fumbleball matches. I'd imagine they're the sort of people who will pay hundreds of dollars to see Origin but couldn't care less about the NRL because they think it isn't trendy. The way the media talks up AwFuL and Origin while talking down the NRL would lead herd following wankers to think it's "uncool" to be seen at an NRL game

Perth Red

Post Whore

If crowds aren’t growing and membership is then it’s the cheap unticketed memberships and that doesnt help the bottom line much.
how would the govt get rid of marketing as a legitimate business expense?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'll never understand why fumbleball draws such high attendances. My only guess is it has more fans from the upper class who see it as a status symbol to attend fumbleball matches. I'd imagine they're the sort of people who will pay hundreds of dollars to see Origin but couldn't care less about the NRL because they think it isn't trendy. The way the media talks up AwFuL and Origin while talking down the NRL would lead herd following wankers to think it's "uncool" to be seen at an NRL game
Not in my experience in perth, it seems more like soccer in uk where it draws from all socio-economic groups. Part of what’s holding nrl back is the working class status it seems to want to stick with despite the fact much of the working class is much nearer middle class these days compared to 50 years ago.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If crowds aren’t growing and membership is then it’s the cheap unticketed memberships and that doesnt help the bottom line much.
Yeah clubs in all sports should be forced to give detailed breakdowns of their membership sales.

As things stand they're dishonestly twisting the statistic to make it look like they have way more season ticket holders then they actually do to potential sponsors, business partners, and observers, and frankly that's dodgy as hell.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Yeah clubs in all sports should be forced to give detailed breakdowns of their membership sales.

As things stand they're dishonestly twisting the statistic to make it look like they have way more season ticket holders then they actually do to potential sponsors, business partners, and observers, and frankly that's dodgy as hell.
Spot on...happens in all codes. A simple figure of average membership contribution would go a long way to indicating the number of full paying members as opposed to single game members and/or freebies handed out.

Mike Oxbigg

Juniors

...and adults buying kids memberships because the membership cards aren't scrutinised at the gate on game day. I know plenty of blokes who do this.

South Sydney being the example for us , but they're rank amateur's compared to the GWS midgets

Frailty

First Grade
It really doesn't help that the head of the ARLC seems determined to keep telling the media how bad the game is and how rules need to be changed to fix it. Until the most recent round, there was an opportunity to talk up the game with how close games were and how games were unpredictable, etc. Instead, our great leader talks down the game.

As for why fumbleball draws, since I've lived in Melbourne for just under 5 years now, my experience has shown me:

- It has nothing to do with status and class. Virtually everyone outside of a few imports have a team and follow it closely. They're support has come through generations and they continue that.
- The game (which I think is dumb) is much more suited to watching live than on TV. Whilst the ball is the focus of play, there is so much movement off the ball that can't be captured on screen. You get more of an appreciation for the game being there.
- Access to stadiums is much better. The Melbourne teams play out of two stadiums which are not far from their heartlands. Both stadiums are right by the CBD and easily accessible by train and trams. It's also usually the one train to get there. The NRL can't use the central stadium policy since the clubs homelands are much further from the major stadiums.

hahah GWS 30,000 members
GC Suns 20,000.

yet all they could muster up for their latest clash was 4000??
that's some serious fudging of membership numbers
Lol they used to ( dunno about now ) count pet memberships ..lol yep .
& I think one day memberships .
Aflol were king of the bullshitting when it come to memberships.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Eels give kids free memberships with adult GA sold and Storm give registered vic payers 3 game memberships. Panthers apparently give out thousands of free tickets every game to registered Jnrs and no doubt some other clubs are doing similar promotional activities.
No problem at all with that, great marketing strategies to get people into the habit of going to games. But it is an example of how number of members does not always equate significant revenue. At least to start with unless they can then get converted to full paying memberships.

And bringing it back on point, that's the beauty of having a 30k stadium. It means you can do all sorts of marketing strategies to fill it when you have redundant capacity, like free or very cheap kids tickets, reciprocal game membership agreements with other clubs, bring a friend for $5 deals etc. If your stadium is 15-20k you dont, or bloody well shouldn't!, have the capacity to be able to do those sorts of deals.