What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Frailty

First Grade
Was in a Melbourne cab a few years ago and asked the driver why the mexicans are so crazy about their game. His reply surprised me, he reckoned only half the population were crazy about it, the other half (including him) couldn't care less. First time I'd ever heard a Victorian indifferent to Awful.

Oh there is definitely a lot of people who couldn't give a crap (I'm one of them). However, in comparison to NRL in Sydney it's a lot bigger here. I'd also argue "half the population" is still massive. Working in Sydney there would definitely be chat about League, but it would be certain people in the office, whereas down here Monday is most people discussing it, and end of the week discussing it.

Part of that could be that rugby in both forms isn't particularly big and A-League has very little crossover, but I also think it is definitely a different culture. I also suspect a lot more adults continue to play AFL for their local club here than League clubs in Sydney - but I have no real support for that assertion.

Frailty

First Grade
Same with sport in general probably. Its not that AFL has more fans, just they have more committed fans. Tv audiences and other stats would suggest in general the fan base numbers are very similar. Just most NRL fans are couch potatoes it seems.

It keeps going back to the same points really:
- AFL product being a much better watch live than on TV as a lot of the action is off the ball, whilst most of League's action can be caught on the frame of a camera. I don't need to go to the game to see the nuances, like with AFL. I say that as someone that loves going to watch games live.

- Easier access to grounds - two central stadiums for teams whose heartlands are literally the edge of the CBD (outside of Essendon). The leagues equivalent would be SFS if the league clubs remained to be Eastern Suburbs, South Sydney, Glebe, Annandale, Newtown, North Sydney. Both stadiums are easily accessible from all parts of Melbourne with a single train.

- Longer emphasis on membership and ticketed membership. League is improving, but AFL identified this decades ago.

- AFL has an administration that doesn't publicly tell you how bad and broken the game is. Honestly, the stuff PVL has said in the past week had really put a damper on the start of the season where I thought, outside of the most recent round, we were seeing some of the best footy for quite a while.

NRL has a significant marketing problem - rather than promoting and growing the game, they keep asking "what's wrong with our game? How can we solidify what we have? What worked in the past?". It's hard to market growth when you don't like your sport, are only trying to sell to existing fans, and kill off any attempt for something new.

flippikat

Bench
Lets look at the Professional sport teams here:

9 NRL
2 BBL
3 A League
1 NBL
2 AFL
2 Netball
1 Super Rugby

That is assuming everyone likes sport here too but 20 professional teams.

Mind you, shouldn't we also consider seasons?

Predominantly Winter leagues

9 NRL
2 AFL
2 Netball
1 Super Rugby

14 clubs with predominantly winter seasons.

Predominantly summer leagues:
2 BBL
3 A League
1 NBL
Total 6 clubs with predominantly summer seasons.

Sure, there's overlap at each end - but for a lot of the seasons, that's the competition for eyes & ears (and money!)

Timbo

Staff member
Mind you, shouldn't we also consider seasons?

Predominantly Winter leagues

9 NRL
2 AFL
2 Netball
1 Super Rugby

14 clubs with predominantly winter seasons.

Predominantly summer leagues:
2 BBL
3 A League
1 NBL
Total 6 clubs with predominantly summer seasons.

Sure, there's overlap at each end - but for a lot of the seasons, that's the competition for eyes & ears (and money!)

You also have to factor in things like horse racing which soaks up a lot of eyeballs. And 'event' sports like motor racing, tennis or golf.

Interesting comment

It was the same in Sydney before the SL War

Everyone had a RL team

SL War did a lot to kill off the passion
People kick Arko and Quayle but there was a lot done during the 80s and 90s to grow, promote and professionalize the game.
Those Simply The Best ads, the branding and promotions really put RL front and centre.
The SFS, SoO and expansion was a good time.
The growth outside of Sydney was great and I reckon had things gone better, natural attrition would’ve killed off Sydney clubs, contracting the city and strengthened the comp more.

Back on point, the new Parra and SFS are beautiful grounds. I’m for tribalism but using those grounds to watch footy is where the future is for me.

bazza

Immortal
Was in a Melbourne cab a few years ago and asked the driver why the mexicans are so crazy about their game. His reply surprised me, he reckoned only half the population were crazy about it, the other half (including him) couldn't care less. First time I'd ever heard a Victorian indifferent to Awful.
have a Melbourne born Storm supporting friend who also isn't fussed by AFL

bazza

Immortal
It keeps going back to the same points really:
- AFL product being a much better watch live than on TV as a lot of the action is off the ball, whilst most of League's action can be caught on the frame of a camera. I don't need to go to the game to see the nuances, like with AFL. I say that as someone that loves going to watch games live.

- Easier access to grounds - two central stadiums for teams whose heartlands are literally the edge of the CBD (outside of Essendon). The leagues equivalent would be SFS if the league clubs remained to be Eastern Suburbs, South Sydney, Glebe, Annandale, Newtown, North Sydney. Both stadiums are easily accessible from all parts of Melbourne with a single train.

- Longer emphasis on membership and ticketed membership. League is improving, but AFL identified this decades ago.

- AFL has an administration that doesn't publicly tell you how bad and broken the game is. Honestly, the stuff PVL has said in the past week had really put a damper on the start of the season where I thought, outside of the most recent round, we were seeing some of the best footy for quite a while.

NRL has a significant marketing problem - rather than promoting and growing the game, they keep asking "what's wrong with our game? How can we solidify what we have? What worked in the past?". It's hard to market growth when you don't like your sport, are only trying to sell to existing fans, and kill off any attempt for something new.
I think the main difference with AFL and NRL is in regards to the union/league split. Union traditionally has the upper classes with schools and corporate connections
AFL crosses over both so all the expensive private schools in Melbourne would all have an AFL team and corporate types would all have played or watched the game as kids. The player pool probably has the same socio-economic background - but the administration side would be where experienced and better connected people can help the AFL. Similarly for sponsorships, corporate events and generally favourable media coverage

Canard

Immortal
So the latest on the Tarniet Stadium in Western Melbourne is that they are building a suburban soccer ground first (supposedly 5000 seat capacity) as a training ground and the Stadium will be built later (in a different location).

For mine, this Stadium never gets built, well at least not in its private funding arrangement as is now proposed

Pippen94

First Grade
So the latest on the Tarniet Stadium in Western Melbourne is that they are building a suburban soccer ground first (supposedly 5000 seat capacity) as a training ground and the Stadium will be built later (in a different location).

For mine, this Stadium never gets built, well at least not in its private funding arrangement as is now proposed

Whole point of western united getting into competition was they going to have own stadium. Should've been Dandenong

Pippen94

First Grade
Melbourne City haven't ruled out moving their home games closer to their base in Cranbourne East which would possibly include the stadium near the train station in Dandenong. It would also help a possible bid for a 2nd Melbourne NRL team

Proposed stadium on Austadiums

South east is heavily multicultural plus population of a million. Natural place for soccer team but a-league might be worse run competition in country.

It's Been Done

Juniors
South east is heavily multicultural plus population of a million. Natural place for soccer team but a-league might be worse run competition in country.
There's a lot of Pacific Islanders in the Outer South East, but unfortunately they already have a team with the Storm of course dominating the area but also the Warriors and even the Roosters are popular in places like Cranbourne, Cranbourne East, Clyde, Berwick, Narre Warren and Pakenham. Pacific Islanders are numerous in the Western Suburbs as well and is home to Melbourne's strongest VRL clubs like Altona, Sunbury, Werribee and Truganina. There's definitely the market for a 2nd Victorian NRL team either side of the West Gate Bridge

Pippen94

First Grade
There's a lot of Pacific Islanders in the Outer South East, but unfortunately they already have a team with the Storm of course dominating the area but also the Warriors and even the Roosters are popular in places like Cranbourne, Cranbourne East, Clyde, Berwick, Narre Warren and Pakenham. Pacific Islanders are numerous in the Western Suburbs as well and is home to Melbourne's strongest VRL clubs like Altona, Sunbury, Werribee and Truganina. There's definitely the market for a 2nd Victorian NRL team either side of the West Gate Bridge

Thanks for that local knowledge. I've heard about Altona roosters. Maybe NRL & a-league club playing out of there might see government build stadium?! Doubt it cause afl run that state. Shame western united were full of shit

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ok so been round win stadium today. I can see no reason why the grass hill can’t be replaced with a new main stand, it’s a long way from the dunes, theres already a partially constructed piece of a stand There and the depth of it would t be much more than the edge of the entertainment centre, putting to bed the notion that a structure can’t be built there. It’s a nice boutique stadium and a new main stand on the ocean side would turn it into a very nice 25k regional stadium indeed. Great location as well close to drinks and eating areas.

Ok so been round win stadium today. I can see no reason why the grass hill can’t be replaced with a new main stand, it’s a long way from the dunes, theres already a partially constructed piece of a stand There and the depth of it would t be much more than the edge of the entertainment centre, putting to bed the notion that a structure can’t be built there. It’s a nice boutique stadium and a new main stand on the ocean side would turn it into a very nice 25k regional stadium indeed. Great location as well close to drinks and eating areas.
Instead of wasting money on Leichhardt, a new grandstand should be built along the eastern terrace of Wollongong Stadium.

you can see no reason eh ?
oh well that settles it then 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Dogs Of War

Coach
you can see no reason eh ?
oh well that settles it then 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

To be fair they build a lot of apartment complex's the same distance from the beach along the coastline of eastern Australia. So no reason that a stand can't be built on that area unless there is something special about that location, which I doubt as the ends of both the north and south sides extend into that area as well. Don't let you hate for Perth Red stop common sense from being applied. I'm sure that the wind on a night game in the middle of winter coming off that ocean would stop a lot of families from coming once they have experienced it once. Really depends on the cost of doing that.