What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Menaiduck

Juniors
Yes, yes it is but it is simply not necessary.

A city of 230,000 that already has a 20,000 seat stadium spending half a billion dollars on a 25,000 seat stadium to host six AFL matches per year? Any Tasmanian AFL side will split matches between Hobart and Launceston.

The Tassie government is getting slammed down their right now because housing is out of control and health care is imploding on a scale much worse than the mainland states.

For the sake of five thousand extra seats they'd string the premier up from the flagpole in Salamanca Place if they spent state funds like that.
Don’t tell PR though. You are spot on by the way. Add to that the dire situation in the health sector especially the royal Hobart hospital which needs to be moved lock stock and barrel and this proposal can be seen for what it is. Chest beating and a diversion.

It's Been Done

Juniors
Well it looks like a refurb of Suncorp could be fast tracked after the announcement of Australia hosting the 2027 Rugby Union World Cup

ground zero

Juniors
looks like Brookvale, Leichhardt, an Shark park, to miss out on upgrades. As Kogarah will be a knockdown an rebuild as 25000 seat Stadium for RWC, for Training an minor country WC games. Dragons games . Right near Mascot. Makes sense new SFS HOMEBUSH BANKWEST PENRITH AN SOUTHERN SYDNEY KOGARAH . all sorted 5 proper rectangular stadiums should do NRL.

Menaiduck

Juniors
looks like Brookvale, Leichhardt, an Shark park, to miss out on upgrades. As Kogarah will be a knockdown an rebuild as 25000 seat Stadium for RWC, for Training an minor country WC games. Dragons games . Right near Mascot. Makes sense new SFS HOMEBUSH BANKWEST PENRITH AN SOUTHERN SYDNEY KOGARAH . all sorted 5 proper rectangular stadiums should do NRL.
Kogarah? Ridiculous

looking at the calendar

nope
its not April 1st lol

You would think the rugby World cup coming back to Au ensures stadium Australia will receive a rectangular renovation and a roof ..
doesn't ensure it but it adds to the possibility of something happening
Homebush was good enough to host the 2003 final as is & the NSW govt certainly isn't going to do much to this venue unless the threat of it not being the venue for 2027 is real

rectangularisation ... won't happen for this event
roof ... probably will but it will be in addition to the 800 mill for suburban grounds for the NRL
at a cost of about 250 mill
so we have a mini win there

but
will mean the bulldozing down of this venue ( the only way to fix it properly ) & build a proper world class 75K seat rectangular super stadium will now be decades away
a loss there

The Great Dane

First Grade
Can remember 1 snow game in raiders history, man up and be realistic
And I can remember dozens of them where the temperature was roughly -5°c with windchill, conditions that only a relative handful of Sydney fans would tolerate. Most games in winter don't get quite that bad, but they don't need to for most people over roughly 60, anyone with young kids, or various medical conditions, to call it quits because it's too cold.

Put simply there're only so many people whom are willing to pay to sit in such conditions over staying in the comfort of their home and watching for free.

In Canberra's case you can scratch between roughly 3-5k off the attendance each time it gets so cold, and you wouldn't even need an enclosed stadium to fix that problem either, though to be clear that would be the ideal outcome.

Coverage over the seats, wind breaks, and some large outdoor heaters built into the stands would be enough to make a significant difference, but if you're going to go that far you may as well go all the way and just enclose the stadium.

TheRam

Coach
Question… what else is a commbank type stadium going to be used for frequently at Penrith?

Parramatta makes perfect sense to me but Penrith doesn’t.

Also before you all freak out…as a sharks fan yep I want the sharks to get money why wouldn’t I but if they proposed a 400M rebuild at shark park I’d say it’s a stupid waste of money. In fact I think I’ve already stated similar in this thread.

Anyway paragraph 1, focus! Thanks.

Who the bloody hell cares. We take whatever perk we can get. I couldn't care less if they rebuilt Shark Park into the Taj Mahal stadium of the world. I would embrace it as long as it is a made for purpose rectangular stadium.

All this angst of wasted this and wasted that. No other sport would look a gift horse in the mouth ffs!

I wish the governments of Australia at all levels built hundreds of boutique rectangular stadiums all over the country in all cities and rural country areas so when the NRL or our other 2 main State comps wants to take games anywhere throughout Australia we have an endless list of fully seated rectangular stadiums from 3k-60k available to choose from.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...build, build, build. Never stop building. The game will thrive at all levels if this were to ever happen. More and more players would want to play in quality boutique all seaters and fans would love to attend even State comp games in lovely intimate all seaters that have great line of sight and a parochial local atmosphere. There would be a surge in local football popularity because of it.

Build them and they will come.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
Righto then so I’m correct in thinking no one else will frequently use it. Also don’t suggest music concerts… I’m talking tenants using it.

You beaut. The playing field should then always be in pristine condition for all NRL games played there.

Can you say awesome?!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hopefully the RUWC sees hbf park in perth get its next upgrade, or they may play at optus depending on who it is I suppose.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Just wondering with Souths going back to the SFS and Kogarah oval getting a possible rebuild, would Sydney FC move there?