What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sorry perth pal, but whens the last time you've been there? Its as iconic to the tigers fans as the scg is to the dragons, roosters, as is bear park to bear fans, i remember all of my junior finals played at Liechardt oval, and its used for a reason, its a shame that the govt only care about the top end of the entertainment competition and don't give too hoots to the suburban stadiums that get the juniors to the colleseums they've built just for the TV teams.
Its not a knock on the NRL clubs, but on the NSWgovt to build these fields for everyone in Sydney not just for the top end...
@TheRam is right they (the nsw govt) got the money, they are too cheap to spend it, and now event centres like Liechardt oval that are centrally located for all codes being Soccer, RU, or RL are using a rundown version of what it once was, whilst the SFS was being built, Ieichardt and kogarah was being used for Sydney FC, these ovals serve a purpose, regardless which NRL club is attached to them... govts are stupid to think junior rep football is going to be played at homebush, commbank or SFS ...and so this happens

It’s council owned not state govt’s responsibility. Agree though that there should be safe venues for amateur sport like this.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I know it’s weedler but interesting nonetheless

the government was thinking about breaking its promise then the straw that broke the camels back was the arlc buying the gambaro hotel
I also wonder if the backlash at the penrith stadium announcement made them skittish about any more in the near future?

Pippen94

First Grade

I know it’s weedler but interesting nonetheless

the government was thinking about breaking its promise then the straw that broke the camels back was the arlc buying the gambaro hotel

Bs article.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Historic & aesthetically pleasing venue. New & shinny doesn't equal better
It’s not about shiney, it’s about being undercover in the rain, not having to stand on a grass hill, being able to get food and drink without missing half the game, being able to take a pss without wading through it, having corporate facilities to sell to keep your club viable and not to mention the perception of the sport from the great unwashed and businesses out there who are not yet part of it.

It’s the 21st century, the game Id a billion $ professional sport and deserves commbank standard stadia. Go watch amateur sport if you want the pleasure of sitting on a blanket.

Pippen94

First Grade
It’s not about shiney, it’s about being undercover in the rain, not having to stand on a grass hill, being able to get food and drink without missing half the game, being able to take a pss without wading through it, having corporate facilities to sell to keep your club viable and not to mention the perception of the sport from the great unwashed and businesses out there who are not yet part of it.

It’s the 21st century, the game Id a billion $ professional sport and deserves commbank standard stadia. Go watch amateur sport if you want the pleasure of sitting on a blanket.

Whether sitting for 3 hours in a tiny plastic seat in a stadium which lights up is a better experience than picnicking on the hill on a sunny day or even standing when it's raining is a matter of preference. I notice the new parra stadium has an area where chairs folder up for standing & atmosphere.
You probably look at heritage structures at scg, craven cottage & Wrigley Field & think they're taking up space for corporate boxes.
What Leichhardt & grounds like it offer is a setting & experience that the game & it's rivalries were built on. This is a good thing

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whether sitting for 3 hours in a tiny plastic seat in a stadium which lights up is a better experience than picnicking on the hill on a sunny day or even standing when it's raining is a matter of preference. I notice the new parra stadium has an area where chairs folder up for standing & atmosphere.
You probably look at heritage structures at scg, craven cottage & Wrigley Field & think they're taking up space for corporate boxes.
What Leichhardt & grounds like it offer is a setting & experience that the game & it's rivalries were built on. This is a good thing
Not at professional sport it isn’t, it’s a question of economics and crowd appeal.
Places like LO give you the option to go and watch amateur sport if that’s your thing. If you want to get 20k plus to pay $50 or more regularly then it’s commbank. just because Sydney’s stuck in the 70’s doesn’t mean the rest of the sporting world hasn’t moved way way forward lol

Pippen94

First Grade
Not at professional sport it isn’t, it’s a question of economics and crowd appeal.
Places like LO give you the option to go and watch amateur sport if that’s your thing. If you want to get 20k plus to pay $50 or more regularly then it’s commbank. just because Sydney’s stuck in the 70’s doesn’t mean the rest of the sporting world hasn’t moved way way forward lol

Funny I thought the historic Adelaide oval being razed to ground with little consultation was behind the times. Guess afl states moved way way forward in Dubai way way..

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Shared stadiums will not work in Sydney. You're a fool if you think otherwise.
Not only that. I'm sick of this idea that we have to copy the AFL and use centralised stadiums. We are our own sport and do it our own way. Suburban grounds are part of the culture of Sydney RL and so be it.

Now, do we need to severely upgrade those suburban grounds? Yes, and PVL is working on it.

Used for multiple sports across all levels. Great community venue neglected by state government

But even worse, it has been neglected by Leichhardt Council and now the Inner City Council which actually own the ground. They have spent little on it in decades.

Latest posts