What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Wb1234

Referee
The problem is NSW already have a stadium like this, so why do they need to build another?

Also let’s be real now what major events are being brought in by a refurbished Leichhardt Oval or Shark Park or Brookvale Oval?

The example of Optus reinforces the view that in order to get funding you need to have multiple tenants and multiple uses.
Accor is a dump. It’s useless for clubs games.

the smart move would’ve been selling off accor to developers and redoing the sfs as a 70k capacity ground

I said it before in terms of large capacity grounds accor is probably the worst in Australia

Colk

First Grade
Accor is a dump. It’s useless for clubs games.

the smart move would’ve been selling off accor to developers and redoing the sfs as a 70k capacity ground

I said it before in terms of large capacity grounds accor is probably the worst in Australia

That maybe the case (and I agree I don’t like Accor) but that’s not the point. League has now got three fairly big stadiums of over 30k that they can use: Accor, SFS and Commbank. How much money would those stadiums have cost the NSW Government over the years?

They have every right to turn around and say to the NRL well we’ve spent this amount of money on these stadiums as well as refurbishments on Brookvale and for club COE’s. It is not their fault that the clubs don’t want to use them or that the NRL wants boutique stadiums for all Sydney clubs with no other tenants.

Perth Red

Post Whore
B
So cronulla playing out of homebush will gain support from say Penrith, even tho there's a team there & everybody already hate the sharks as rivals for decades?!

Bulldogs have tried & failed. So has ur argument
bulldogs get more fans and Corporate sales at Accor than belmore does even with it being a sht stadium. in no reality is bulldogs playing at Accor a failure compared to playing at belmore lol

despite it being the last year at belmore where you’d think the nostalgia would pack the place dogs avg’d 8k! They’ve pretty much doubled that avg since moving to Accor.

Iamback

Coach
When they moved full time from belmore to fulltine at Homebush their crowds went up by some margin. Their policy now of using multiple grounds in the one city is just as stupid as the tigers one.

Yes but Accor sucks, you'd think Commbank would draw more

Iamback

Coach
This is true.
I just happen to be lucky to be a supporter of a club (Parra) that got the benefit of an upgrade. It was mainly because the Wanderers went on a massive winning streak and justified the rebuild when it was found that the 20000 seat stadium wasn't big enough for them, and it was always known that it wouldn't be big enough for the Eels as well once they got out of their slump.
It has since proven to be a great investment from the NSW Govt, as not only has it had increased attendances, it has drawn in concerts and other events.
The investment in this stadium has surely paid itself back already. The local economy is benefitting big time on game days.

According to some here though, we should still have this....

View attachment 64690

Tradition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parramatta was always a govt run ground anyway, Assuming the Penrith one goes through. Watch all the prices go up

Time that with a drop in form for the club and it may be better off in the ground as it is now. Then in 5-10 years the club/NRL upgrading as required

Iamback

Coach
Yes but having stadiums of 15-20k will only mean you’ll only ever get that much no matter what level the game is.

Why not have a plan where you at the very least have big games at bigger venues

Realistically how much would Manly v Dragons pull at SFS?

RL does need to do events better but 15k crowds are fine for 90% of games

Perth Red

Post Whore
I

1.8 billion spent for 2 afl clubs

let’s be real here

Sydney for all the talk isn’t anything to brad about in terms of overall stadia
It’s a multi use venue and has hosted massive concerts, cricket soccer and rl events. not to mention our sports clubs actually fill it and needed one that big!

Tiger Shark

Bench
I have lived in Sydney.

How about approaching the point from the perspective of suburban stadiums and their quality. Most of them are s***house and will always be s***house no matter how much money is poured into them.

Considering the NSW government are backing away from spending money on them and clubs aren’t in the position to build good quality stadiums themselves, what’s your alternative?

Sometimes you have deal in reality and look for compromises
Then you should know that a model like the AFL where teams play out of a few stadiums will never work in Sydney. That’s the reality.

Colk

First Grade
Then you should know that a model like the AFL where teams play out of a few stadiums will never work in Sydney. That’s the reality.

Sure, I have heard all this before but instead of saying this and avoiding reality, what’s your alternative if the state government doesn’t want to fund any more stadiums in Sydney? Are clubs going to fund their own developments?

Perth Red

Post Whore
what ..to Bathurst ?
seriously ?

Nope , they have no more right to their own super stadium or just upgrades then Manly or Cronulla do...
if those last 2 miss out , they all should.
If Peritot... must .. spend that 400 mill set aside for penrith
then spend it equally on all 3 venues , because they're not moving to shared venues .... ever.

Tigers / Dogs to play mainly at commbank with parra ... some campbelltown & other
souths /roosters at the sfs & dragons in sydney there , 6 at wollongong

job done
Would be better to be happy another club has got a state of the art stadium and convinced the govt and two southern clubs to share a state of the art new southern stadium as the next stadium stage. Shark park and kogorah could remain a local ground for amateur sport And dragons and sharks shared a commbank somewhere suitable. Would have probably,y floated the govts boat more than sticking lipstick in three suburban pigs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don’t think anyone is suggesting two central stadiums For everyone. But we now have three,ok,two,good ones, to share for those that can. Then set about new modern 25k stadiums for,those that can’t. Penrith is a good first step. Then it should have been a new stadium for manly and eventually something south, either shared or shark park though that is now seriously compromised by the buildings surrounding it.

Iamback

Coach
Would be better to be happy another club has got a state of the art stadium and convinced the govt and two southern clubs to share a state of the art new southern stadium as the next stadium stage. Shark park and kogorah could remain a local ground for amateur sport And dragons and sharks shared a commbank somewhere suitable. Would have probably,y floated the govts boat more than sticking lipstick in three suburban pigs.

I get the reasoning behind making Penrith a 3rd CBD, So the Stadium in that area makes sense.

I still can't see why Tigers CoE, Isn't in Campbelltown where the juniors are. You could of built it and the New Stadium in between Campbelltown and Penrith.

Still services the mountains, New Airport etc but 2 NRL sides and the Macarthur A League team.

Things like that is how RL shoots itself in the foot

Colk

First Grade
I get the reasoning behind making Penrith a 3rd CBD, So the Stadium in that area makes sense.

I still can't see why Tigers CoE, Isn't in Campbelltown where the juniors are. You could of built it and the New Stadium in between Campbelltown and Penrith.

Still services the mountains, New Airport etc but 2 NRL sides and the Macarthur A League team.

Things like that is how RL shoots itself in the foot

Exactly. If we go back to the negotiating table, RL has to throw these types of scenarios in order to achieve funding. It’s a growth area. It has several tenants using it all year around. You could get this done.

For example the Sharks/Dragons would want to hope that they put an A-League team there because then you could then argue funding for a stadium in that part of Sydney as well

Iamback

Coach
Exactly. If we go back to the negotiating table, RL has to throw these types of scenarios in order to achieve funding. It’s a growth area. It has several tenants using it all year around. You could get this done.

For example the Sharks/Dragons would want to hope that they put an A-League team there because then you could then argue funding for a stadium in that part of Sydney as well

Too much self interest in RL for that to happen, instead with get a WT CoE in Concord, 90 mins from the growth area around Campbelltown

Colk

First Grade
Too much self interest in RL for that to happen, instead with get a WT CoE in Concord, 90 mins from the growth area around Campbelltown

Tigers really are stupid. Instead of whinging about Leichhardt Oval not getting funding (it shouldn’t) Panthers, Tigers and even Bulldogs could bind together and look at sharing a stadium in 5-10 years around Bradfield/Penrith which is serviceable by the new airport line. If you give the government 2-3 or even 4 tenants then the likelihood of getting a really good rectangular stadium would dramatically improve .

Vee

First Grade

I know it’s weedler but interesting nonetheless

the government was thinking about breaking its promise then the straw that broke the camels back was the arlc buying the gambaro hotel
Paywall.

MugaB

Coach
Are they going to fund stadia for 6-8 Sydney sides. You are asking the government to pay for stadiums for the Sharks, Bulldogs, Tigers, Penrith (if it doesn’t go through), Manly (if they need further upgrades) and Dragons. The only teams fine under a seperate stadium model would be Parra, Roosters and Souths if they decide to play at SFS (as expected)

Now considering the Penrith cost, how likely is that to happen when the state government can turn around and say we’ve spent a billion or more already on stadiums that teams can use?

Also the circumstances surrounding Penrith and their development (i.e. the amount of criticism they have received for it) means that is less likely to happen again, not more likely
Firstly I've only replied to you, never have i stated my views, youve said govt wont fork out for one tennant, and they already have and are about to do so again, with penrith...
I don't care if they wont to built a new stadium south for whoever to share, but if they were smarter a new 25k stadium around picinic point would have the dogs, dragons and maybe tigers play out of them... but thats not something they'd build coz they aren't honouring the current refurbishments that were promised.
Plus having a stadium in liverpool is useless if there isn't a 1st grade side representing that area, picnic point is right on the georges river, and is south of the dogs area, and bordering close to the dragons, who aren't going to be there fulltime with the use of WIN, aswell as tigers sharing LO/CSG,
If the nsw govt is not going to spend what they promised on homebush, and agreed to spend it elsewhere, then spend it... dont reneg, i cant believe how stupid folks are thinking the govt is diverting these funds just for the floods.

MugaB

Coach
Why can't panthers fund upgrade?!
Correct, why not? Im sure the govt looked at them funding their own COE, way before academies were "a thing" every club wanted, probably gave them a pass there... no different to sharks doing their own refurbishments on a stadium they own, to me i don't care who pays for it, just get it done, but its now annoying coz it was allocated and the scummy polis are now reneging... you watch next time PVL does a deal it will be ironclad, and it will mean weve just become Americanized around the GF..
I dont see perotit lasting with all his latest f**k ups...

Iamback

Coach
Correct, why not? Im sure the govt looked at them funding their own COE, way before academies were "a thing" every club wanted, probably gave them a pass there... no different to sharks doing their own refurbishments on a stadium they own, to me i don't care who pays for it, just get it done, but its now annoying coz it was allocated and the scummy polis are now reneging... you watch next time PVL does a deal it will be ironclad, and it will mean weve just become Americanized around the GF..
I dont see perotit lasting with all his latest f**k ups...

Manly are the only side to put their academy to good use. The ground looks so much better with the new stand.

Tigers should of done the same at LO or Campbelltown.

Sharks too, had construction so surely could of incorporated a new grand stand or something with that or with the CoE.

Yes the govt should not of backed out but there were ways to get around it. RL once again was its own enemy