What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Tax payers money funding this and any other suburban stadium is just burning money in perpetuity.

If Panthers leagues club and NRL wants to build and pay for this stadium - go for it.
There is no way the new Penrith stadium will cost $300m. It’s gonna be at least $600m with inflation and paying out harness racing etc.

Stuart Ayres is desperate to keep his seat. They know this stadium deal won’t happen as the Liberals will not retain government in 2023.

NSW government and Venues NSW won’t give ownership of the stadium to NRL or Panthers. So Penrith will need to pay a higher cost to use it, and/or the NSW tax payer will have to subsidise the stadium forever to allow Panthers to use it - which would be a disgrace.

All financial analysis steered the government to a 3 stadium policy, for good reason.

There is no way on earth I support my tax dollars being pissed away on a new Penrith Stadium for what maybe an average crowd of 20k people 12 times a year. And that’s 20k average when they are the no.1 team and winning. Gonna bottom out to 14k or less when the go thru a rough season.

It isn’t good for NSW or the NRL in the short, medium or long term, just huge financial costs to maintain and upgrade every 10-15 years.

Spending $300m (it’s actually gonna be $600m plus) on a new stadium in a town/suburb 75km from Sydney and that no one east of Blacktown is ever gonna use? When the business case says it won’t ever provide a return on investment? GTFOH.

I ain’t in favour of pissing my tax dollars away because Penrith fans are too lazy to travel 35km to an awesome stadium in a Parramatta for 8-10 home games a year.

I’d rather the money went toward other areas in need in Sydney and NSW - transport and infrastructure.

If $300m (actual cost will be $600m plus) is to be spent on any stadia in Sydney, it should be on the Accor redevelopment or redeveloping the old stands at the SCG.

By 2032, MCG, Gabba, Adelaide Oval and Optus Stadium will all be state of the art and shit on the SCG as far as modern stadia is concerned. Sydney and NSW deserves the best cricket stadium money can buy to to be on the same level as other capital cities.

A white elephant in Penrith will do absolutely nothing to benefit our city or NSW over the next 50 years.
f**k me! It's .00001% of the budget.
And you can't be serious about prioritizing the SCG. In NSW the priority should ALWAYS be rectangular stadiums... you know, the shape that 99% of our sporting teams use, as well as the rest of the world.

You're taking the piss saying you're from Sydney.

MugaB

Coach
f**k me! It's .00001% of the budget.
And you can't be serious about prioritizing the SCG. In NSW the priority should ALWAYS be rectangular stadiums... you know, the shape that 99% of our sporting teams use, as well as the rest of the world.

You're taking the piss saying you're from Sydney.
Its in the name... regardless where idiot is from, a storm fan would hate anything from nsw

forby

Juniors
Tax payers money funding this and any other suburban stadium is just burning money in perpetuity.

If Panthers leagues club and NRL wants to build and pay for this stadium - go for it.
There is no way the new Penrith stadium will cost $300m. It’s gonna be at least $600m with inflation and paying out harness racing etc.

Stuart Ayres is desperate to keep his seat. They know this stadium deal won’t happen as the Liberals will not retain government in 2023.

NSW government and Venues NSW won’t give ownership of the stadium to NRL or Panthers. So Penrith will need to pay a higher cost to use it, and/or the NSW tax payer will have to subsidise the stadium forever to allow Panthers to use it - which would be a disgrace.

All financial analysis steered the government to a 3 stadium policy, for good reason.

There is no way on earth I support my tax dollars being pissed away on a new Penrith Stadium for what maybe an average crowd of 20k people 12 times a year. And that’s 20k average when they are the no.1 team and winning. Gonna bottom out to 14k or less when the go thru a rough season.

It isn’t good for NSW or the NRL in the short, medium or long term, just huge financial costs to maintain and upgrade every 10-15 years.

Spending $300m (it’s actually gonna be $600m plus) on a new stadium in a town/suburb 75km from Sydney and that no one east of Blacktown is ever gonna use? When the business case says it won’t ever provide a return on investment? GTFOH.

I ain’t in favour of pissing my tax dollars away because Penrith fans are too lazy to travel 35km to an awesome stadium in a Parramatta for 8-10 home games a year.

I’d rather the money went toward other areas in need in Sydney and NSW - transport and infrastructure.

If $300m (actual cost will be $600m plus) is to be spent on any stadia in Sydney, it should be on the Accor redevelopment or redeveloping the old stands at the SCG.

By 2032, MCG, Gabba, Adelaide Oval and Optus Stadium will all be state of the art and shit on the SCG as far as modern stadia is concerned. Sydney and NSW deserves the best cricket stadium money can buy to to be on the same level as other capital cities.

A white elephant in Penrith will do absolutely nothing to benefit our city or NSW over the next 50 years.
You sound like an SCG Trust member protecting his turf. Believe it or not there is actually a world west of Parramatta, and the people out here deserve state of the art facilities as much as anybody.

Wb1234

Referee

But your favourite sport afl has had hundreds of millions from govts to fund stadia

lmao

Wb1234

Referee

NRL stadiums: NSW Government, Andrew Abdo back new Penrith stadium viability​

The NSW Government and NRL remain confident Penrith’s planned stadium will be viable despite projections its cost-benefit ratio will fall well below acceptable levels.

Fatima Kdouh
October 5, 2022 - 6:00AM

Stuart Ayres and NRL CEO Andrew Abdo are confident a new stadium in Penrith, on separate land, won’t turn into a white-elephant in western Sydney.

Penrith is still slated to receive a new $300 million venue after planned upgrades to a number of other suburban grounds stalled, including Brookvale and Leichhardt Ovals, sparking a rift between NRL powerbrokers and the NSW government.

But rather than rebuild the Panthers’ home at BlueBet Stadium, Ayres has been pushing for the new venue to built on the Paceway site — which sits on a larger parcel of land.

While the new stadium would be home to the back-to-back premiers, Ayres, the member for Penrith, insisted it would be a multipurpose venue ensuring its viability.

“The Paceway site is by far and away the best site for the stadium. It‘s the best site for Penrith the city,” Ayres said.
“(That‘s) just (because of) size. We‘ve seen as we’ve redone Commbank from the old Parramatta Stadium, even what we did at Allianz, just modern facilities are bigger. There‘s more space, there’s more public amenity, there’s more space between concourses and seats, there’s more food and beverage options. More rooms that can be hired. So non-event day revenue can be can be higher as well.”

In September, state government documents revealed the cost of the stadium could blow out if it was relocated to a harness racing paceway site next door to BlueBet Stadium.

The proposal for a new venue at Penrith was the only suburban ground project to survive a savings review by the NSW government. Documents tabled in the review revealed the ‘benefit cost ratio’ for Brookvale Oval was 0.24 – well below the target figure of “1”. It’s understood the ratio for the Penrith Stadium is not much better.

But Abdo said the new stadium would be a boost for the entire region, not just rugby league.

“There needs to be a business case for each stadium, which the government has committed to doing and have done for each of the stadiums that have been built,” Abdo said. “These are community assets, they are multi sport, multi purpose and they will be run in accordance to that approach. They are not exclusive to rugby league. These are community assets, they will have an overall approach with government considerations around population growth and different uses of the facility.”

Penrith’s new stadium would have the capacity to host the NRL’s Magic Round, where every game in round 10 is played at Suncorp Stadium. While there are no immediate plans to move Magic Round, which has turned into a festival of rugby league, away from Brisbane, there is a growing push to take the event on tour across the country.

“There’s no comment on that at moment. We obviously think very carefully about ways which we can make all stadium infrastructure viable but we haven’t given any thought to content arrangement at the moment,” Abdo said.

While the Paceway is yet to be officially rubber stamped as the stadium’s new site, it would allow the Panthers to avoid shifting to Commbank Stadium during construction, and continue playing at BlueBet next season.

“We‘re just progressing with our commercial negotiation with the Paceway, the adjoining land,” Ayres said.
“It‘s definitely the best spot to build the stadium. We know that. We’ll just go through that process and get a good result. “It‘ll mean that the players and the fans know that we’re playing at the existing Penrith stadium next year.
If I was a manly fan I would be ropable

they both have the same benefit cost ratio which falls well below one but the one in a marginal seat gets the new ground

man’s which idiot thinks magic round can be played there what a load of bs

I still expect once the election is over and if the liberal get back in they will commit to the remaining ground upgrades and will stop paying for the grand final

Timbo

Staff member
$53 million upgrade completed of Coopers Stadium in Adelaide.

Would be a cracking club venue.

NB - Perth Red I know you almost certainly disagree and your reason will start with ‘at NIB we…’ but I genuinely don’t care.

Colk

First Grade

NB - Perth Red I know you almost certainly disagree and your reason will start with ‘at NIB we…’ but I genuinely don’t care.

Adelaide Sharky was talking about this on another thread. If you could either upgrade this ground slightly to 25k (or a new ground) then that capacity would be fine for an Adelaide NRL side

shewi6

Juniors
Concept of the panthers ground from daily telegraph. Apparently the apartments were more important to show in an article about a stadium...

Attachments

• 0b28abda1f289478af6ff9b5d21e2cd4.jpeg
    0b28abda1f289478af6ff9b5d21e2cd4.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 41

Iamback

Coach
If I was a manly fan I would be ropable

they both have the same benefit cost ratio which falls well below one but the one in a marginal seat gets the new ground

man’s which idiot thinks magic round can be played there what a load of bs

I still expect once the election is over and if the liberal get back in they will commit to the remaining ground upgrades and will stop paying for the grand final

Depends when the cost benefit was done for Penrith, Over the next 10 years it will be so busy out here

big hit!

Bench

Unfortunately, the pleasure of watching cricket in Australia has been ruined by generic multi-purpose stadiums offering little in terms of variety now. Perth Stadium has the exact same dimensions as the MCG for football, and little uniqueness that the WACA has such as the Fremantle doctor. Even the SCG has lost its slowness. Adelaide had the short square boundaries. Now they're all enclosed venues which tend to play the same.

English cricket venues all retain their charm.

Wb1234

Referee
Those apartments was the development I mentioned in the other thread.

Also has the completed conference centre and Hotel that is being built at Panthers
Panthers sold that land ?

shoulders done it themselves

but the land the lc is on is still worth loads

Smug Panther

First Grade
Unfortunately, the pleasure of watching cricket in Australia has been ruined by generic multi-purpose stadiums offering little in terms of variety now. Perth Stadium has the exact same dimensions as the MCG for football, and little uniqueness that the WACA has such as the Fremantle doctor. Even the SCG has lost its slowness. Adelaide had the short square boundaries. Now they're all enclosed venues which tend to play the same.

English cricket venues all retain their charm.
Adelaide used to be bloody beautiful

wain

Juniors

Its such a great stadium! Honestly, I reckon its at about capacity.
If you look at this picture, you'll see the roads on two side. There is also a road not too far away on the southern side.
hindmarsh-stadium-upgrade.jpg

As an Adelaide boy, if we get a team back...it's got to be at this stadium and not Adelaide Oval...that place doesn't have any atmosphere for a rectangle sport event without a big crowd.

Latest posts