What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

I wish they would make their comp instead of trying to dissolve ours.
When the Broncos and News Ltd tried that Arthurson and Quayle sooked about it and took them to court.

By "ours" I meant NSW. I didn't see any Sydney clubs trying to join a QLD competition. Anyway what's done is done I guess.
Agree with your point about the best competition playing in the best stadiums. In Sydney and surrounding suburbs it simply won't happen. There is no way every club would agree to play home and away rounds in the same stadium. The league clubs would lose so much revenue by missing out on gameday events and we all know league clubs/football clubs only have their own interests at heart. They would never agree to anything for a common good because you can guarantee one of the clubs would benefit more from it than another.

In principle it would be great but it wouldn't be practical for some clubs.

Please tell me you're not this ignorant and are just trolling.

NSW was the only state in the country that allowed licenced venues to have gaming machines between 1956 and 1991. They were illegal in licenced venues across Queensland and Victoria until 1991. Ironically, this safety net and advantage allowed small NSWRL clubs to hold rugby league hostage when the game was in a position to expand into a national competition.

The VFL clubs had no choice but to grow their brand to generate revenue from football operations because they didn't have this safety net. It led to them developing massive fan bases that dwarf our game.

The sad thing is the NSWRL clubs are still holding the game hostage. People outside of NSW wouldn't talk about this if it wasn't for the fact that NSWRL clubs are holding the game back.

Last edited:

westerntiger

Juniors
How about we just move all the Sydney teams to the stadiums in Qatar?

Lusail: Rabbitohs
Al Bayt: Wests Tigers
Al Thumama: Eels
974: Roosters (lol)
Khalifa: Panthers
Al Rayyan: Bulldogs
Education City: Dragons
Al Janoub: Sea Eagles

Sharks can still go to Adelaide or wherever. Problem solved.

This Year?

Immortal
When the Broncos and News Ltd tried that Arthurson and Quayle sooked about it and took them to court.
And sadly it's set the game back. It was a terrible time for rugby league in Australia. If the Broncos and News Ltd only did it in QLD and made it the premier competetion instead of trying to dissovle the NSWRL too, they would have won the war.
I wonder what the SL model would have been on stadiums.

Last edited:
And sadly it's set the game back. It was a terrible time for rugby league in Australia.
What set the game back was the NSWRL clubs holding the game hostage. Instead of rationalising Sydney to a significant degree we ended up sacrificing more expansion clubs to keep small NSWRL teams alive.

Crushers. Chargers. Reds. Rams. Mariners. Steelers were taken over by the Dragons. The only Sydney club we lost was the North Sydney Bears. Tigers and Magpies are still around in a hybrid form that causes more harm than good because neither club wants to give up their identity. The game would be so much stronger if Sydney was put in its place.

That’s the thing

for Sydney fans expansion means adding new teams into the nrl

for most non Sydney fans expansion means moving a Sydney side to some random location

I've seen plenty of NSWRL fans whinge about non-Sydney clubs playing in the competition. There's still people from Sydney who reckon Brisbane should only have one team and are against expansion into Adelaide and Perth. There's a braindead nutcase from Western Sydney in the Expansion forum who is against a Perth team but wants a PNG club that's based in small FNQ city to be awarded the 18th licence!

I've seen you oppose the prospect of expanding into Perth.

Last edited:

This Year?

Immortal
What set the game back was the NSWRL clubs holding the game hostage. Instead of rationalising Sydney to a significant degree we ended up sacrificing more expansion clubs to keep small NSWRL teams alive.

Crushers. Chargers. Reds. Rams. Mariners. Steelers were taken over by the Dragons. The only Sydney club we lost was the North Sydney Bears. Tigers and Magpies are still around in a hybrid form that causes more harm than good because neither club wants to give up their identity. The game would be so much stronger if Sydney was put in its place.

I've seen plenty of NSWRL fans whinge about non-Sydney clubs playing in the competition. There's still people from Sydney who reckon Brisbane should only have one team and are against expansion into Adelaide and Perth. There's a braindead nutcase from Western Sydney in the Expansion forum who is against a Perth team but wants a PNG club that's based in small FNQ city to be awarded the 18th licence!

I've seen you oppose the prospect of expanding into Perth.
I don't want to derail the thread any further by debating the points in your post, but I'll try to bring it back on track.
A nice shiny new stadium would be fantastic for any expansion area. Fans want modern facilities, great views, plus quick and easy to get in and out of. Melbourne and North QLD waited ages for their beautiful stadiums. Hopefully the Dolphin stadium will be amazing too. Although Allianz got an upgrade it's still too small. Should have been 60k IMO.

forby

Juniors
1. Penrith Football Stadium to Parramatta Stadium is 32km.

Dolphin Oval to Lang Park is 33km.

If the Dolphins are expected to travel 33km to play at Lang Park then there's no reason Panthers cannot be held to the same standard.

Or do you believe there should be one rule for Sydney and another rule for Brisbane?

2. MCG and Docklands cope just fine accommodating eight AwFuL clubs.
I have never said anything about the Dolphins. I agree they should have a decent stadium. The Dolphins used playing out of Suncorp as part of their application. The 3 other Queensland clubs all have modern stadiums, and I wouldn’t bet against them getting Redcliffe upgrade by the Queensland government.
The Dolphins have nothing to do with Penrith deserving and needing a decent stadium for the region which covers from the Hawkesbury in the north, Katoomba in the west, Blacktown in the East and Warragamba in the South.
Venues NSW and the SCG Trust already have limits on the number of games allowed on their grounds. This is due to the nature of the wear and tear caused by rugby league. AFL doesn’t cause the same damage to the surface that league does.

I don't want to derail the thread any further by debating the points in your post, but I'll try to bring it back on track.
A nice shiny new stadium would be fantastic for any expansion area. Fans want modern facilities, great views, plus quick and easy to get in and out of. Melbourne and North QLD waited ages for their beautiful stadiums. Hopefully the Dolphin stadium will be amazing too. Although Allianz got an upgrade it's still too small. Should have been 60k IMO.
Dolphin Oval isn't large enough for NRL games. It has a capacity of 11.5k and no cover from the elements. I honestly don't know why it was built to these specifications. Sitting there on a cold and windy Saturday night will be a bastard, especially if it's raining. It gets cold and windy out on the peninsula. It'll be fine for pre-season games, but it shouldn't be used during the NRL regular season.

I have never said anything about the Dolphins. I agree they should have a decent stadium. The Dolphins used playing out of Suncorp as part of their application. The 3 other Queensland clubs all have modern stadiums, and I wouldn’t bet against them getting Redcliffe upgrade by the Queensland government.
The Dolphins have nothing to do with Penrith deserving and needing a decent stadium for the region which covers from the Hawkesbury in the north, Katoomba in the west, Blacktown in the East and Warragamba in the South.
Venues NSW and the SCG Trust already have limits on the number of games allowed on their grounds. This is due to the nature of the wear and tear caused by rugby league. AFL doesn’t cause the same damage to the surface that league does.
Dolphin Oval was rebuilt into its current configuration just a few years ago. There's no way it will be knocked down and rebuilt within the next 15 or 20 years.

Between 1995 and 2020 Cowboys played out of a run down horse racing track that was hurriedly converted a bare bones stadium just as the 1995 season began. The players had to help construct it to get it ready on time.

Broncos played out of QEII Stadium between 1993 and 2003.

The Panthers Group could have taken out a loan to build a proper grandstand with up-to-date corporate facilities, but chose to build a hotel. They took out a $60m loan from Commonwealth Bank and were given a gov grant that amounted to about $20m.

Also it is 38 km from Panthers to Commbank!

I went by Google Maps' calculation for a trip from Penrith Football Stadium to Parramatta Stadium.

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade

Please tell me you're not this ignorant and are just trolling.

NSW was the only state in the country that allowed licenced venues to have gaming machines between 1956 and 1991. They were illegal in licenced venues across Queensland and Victoria until 1991. Ironically, this safety net and advantage allowed small NSWRL clubs to hold rugby league hostage when the game was in a position to expand into a national competition.

The VFL clubs had no choice but to grow their brand to generate revenue from football operations because they didn't have this safety net. It led to them developing massive fan bases that dwarf our game.

The sad thing is the NSWRL clubs are still holding the game hostage. People outside of NSW wouldn't talk about this if it wasn't for the fact that NSWRL clubs are holding the game back.

Pokies & rich leagues clubs didn't help teams in Wollongong & Newcastle. Sydney was always going to swallow Brisbane comp. Sydney a world city, Brisbane is..don't know what, but not Sydney

Pippen94

First Grade
How about we just move all the Sydney teams to the stadiums in Qatar?

Lusail: Rabbitohs
Al Bayt: Wests Tigers
Al Thumama: Eels
974: Roosters (lol)
Khalifa: Panthers
Al Rayyan: Bulldogs
Education City: Dragons
Al Janoub: Sea Eagles

Sharks can still go to Adelaide or wherever. Problem solved.

Manly players would support lbgtq policies in Qatar

Pokies & rich leagues clubs didn't help teams in Wollongong & Newcastle. Sydney was always going to swallow Brisbane comp. Sydney a world city, Brisbane is..don't know what, but not Sydney
Newcastle and Wollongong are regional cities. Both are smaller than the Gold Coast and lack its business sector.

Brisbane is a capital city with a thriving business sector. There was strong foreign investment in Brisbane during the 1980s that led to strong interstate migration.

Why do you think Brisbane is set to host the 2032 games after holding the 2001 Goodwill Games and 1982 Commonwealth Games?

There are traditional BRL clubs with stronger Leagues Clubs than some Sydney NRL clubs. Easts Leagues and Redcliffe Leagues are richer than Manly Leagues and Cronulla Leagues. Wynnum Manly Leagues is probably richer, too. Dolphins own far more than the Sharks and Sea Eagles.

Perth Red

Post Whore
First - why should Penrith play in a stadium 40 km away?
Second - the grounds would never cope with 4 clubs playing out of them
State govt and nrl should get sensible and serious with the clubs and tell them if they are t in a state of the art 25k min stadium by 2030 they risk losing their license.

for sydney that would force stadium sharing, quite rightly so. Taxpayers shouldnt be finding a stadium for every club.

allianz- roosters, souths, manly,
commbank - eels, dogs, tigers
penrith stadium - penrith
southern sydney stadium - dragons 5 games, sharks

that would require state govt spending $600-700mill on two new stadiums and nrl in sydney is sorted.

only the nrl would allow a new club to play games at 12k grounds! dolphins full time to suncorp
perth admitted under proviso state govt finishes hbf park to 25-30k.

that leaves the less urgent win, Newcastle and Auckland to get upgraded at some point

that’s the game sorted for stadia in this country

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
Newcastle and Wollongong are regional cities. Both are smaller than the Gold Coast and lack its business sector.

Brisbane is a capital city with a thriving business sector. There was strong foreign investment in Brisbane during the 1980s that led to strong interstate migration.

Why do you think Brisbane is set to host the 2032 games after holding the 2001 Goodwill Games and 1982 Commonwealth Games?

There are traditional BRL clubs with stronger Leagues Clubs than some Sydney NRL clubs. Easts Leagues and Redcliffe Leagues are richer than Manly Leagues and Cronulla Leagues. Wynnum Manly Leagues is probably richer, too. Dolphins own far more than the Sharks and Sea Eagles.

Wests Newcastle one of biggest clubs in Australia. Wollongong would've been up there too with brissy clubs.

Nah, Brisbane is small time. Just like Melbourne absorbed wa & sa leagues in afl, nswrl was always going to do same to qrl. Sydney had the power, money, population & influence.

Qrl got offered license but turned it down. That's the best they'd get.