What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

TheRam

Coach
Leichhardt is ten minutes west of the new $800m Sydney Football stadium and will be swamped with two metro west stations within three kms of it and a third just 200 metres away from their $84.6m CoE. A metro line that will take them to Olympic Park within ten minutes. The same metro line that has a capacity to have a station added to the doorstop of the Sydney Football Stadium.

A single cent spent on Leichhardt is an outrageous act of bourgeois decadence.

Which line has the capacity to go all the way to the eastern suburbs Football Stadium? Is this a train line above ground? I know of nothing of this.

Please elaborate.

TheRam

Coach
Maybe this one( M2) if it ever happens.

View attachment 74644

I don't see a SFS Station there anywhere. Goes Central then Randwick. Totally bypasses the SFS which is what we have right now.

But that ain't happening for at least another 100 years. Been spoken about since I was a kid. Never happening in our life time. Pollies don't want to open that part of South-East Sydney up with any real transport links. Would make to much sense ffs!

horrie hastings

First Grade
I don't see a SFS Station there anywhere. Goes Central then Randwick. Totally bypasses the SFS which is what we have right now.

But that ain't happening for at least another 100 years. Been spoken about since I was a kid. Never happening in our life time. Pollies don't want to open that part of South-East Sydney up with any real transport links. Would make to much sense ffs!

He did say it would have the capacity to have a Metro station there, there is no station planned for the SFS but it could be added, i think that what the erotic gamer was alluding to.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Wests Tigers will go back to the future by axing its big-stadium strategy for a shock return to suburban ground football — and the club will seek private investors to save dilapidated Leichhardt Oval.

The Tigers plan to dump playing games at Accor Stadium and CommBank Stadium next season for a full-time return to Leichhardt and Campbelltown Stadium, the club’s traditional home grounds. The club is also desperate to secure funding to upgrade Leichhardt Oval, and is now looking to private equity after the previous state government reneged on a handshake funding agreement.
lol, locking in a lifetime of mediocrity and 12k crowd avg's. So Tigers.

King-Gutho94

Coach

Tram drops you straight out of the front of SCG & SFS.

Dont need a metro station

TheRam

Coach
Tram drops you straight out of the front of SCG & SFS.

Dont need a metro station

Mate the tram is limited to the route it is on with only bus and other train connections. Hardly ideal for most families coming from all other directions throughout the greater metropolitan area.

Time is the key and convenience. If you need to make numerous connections and/or pit stops waiting for those connections while looking after the kiddies in winter at night, maybe rain or cold out, hardly ideal is it?

Or stay at home and put the kids on the lounge, order 2 or 3 pizzas and the fridge and loo are just a few feet away, hopefully not in the same place and the hassle and expense is just a bad nightmare, gone like magic at a fraction of the price.

Guess what most of Sydney does when the footy is on?

I think you know what the answer is right?

Like I keep saying, this is the 21st century, we are lazy and soft. No convenience and luxury, then no or minimal attendance only when the conditions are just right and the crowds reflect that perfectly.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Mate the tram is limited to the route it is on with only bus and other train connections. Hardly ideal for most families coming from all other directions throughout the greater metropolitan area.

Time is the key and convenience. If you need to make numerous connections and/or pit stops waiting for those connections while looking after the kiddies in winter at night, maybe rain or cold out, hardly ideal is it?

Or stay at home and put the kids on the lounge, order 2 or 3 pizzas and the fridge and loo are just a few feet away, hopefully not in the same place and the hassle and expense is just a bad nightmare, gone like magic at a fraction of the price.

Like I keep saying, this is the 21st century, we are lazy and soft. No convenience and luxury, then no or minimal attendance only when the conditions are just right and the crowds reflect that perfectly.
It’s one change from pretty much anywhere on the train network. You get the train to central, jump on the tram and you’re there. Putting a heavy rail line through isn’t going to improve that for 90% of people.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Why do people go to concerts? Attend theatre? Go to the pub? Much easier to stay home. We are seeing a shift in people willing to attend RL games with event status in modern decent stadia, for the experience. Then the travel issue becomes minor. Problem is we have many games that are run of the mill in poor venues at non convenient times. That's why people don't go, not because they have to get two trains and take 45mins to get there.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
lol, locking in a lifetime of mediocrity and 12k crowd avg's. So Tigers.
The thing that amuses me the most about the decision is all they’re talking about it upgrading Leichhardt, no mention of Campbelltown. If the goal had been to ditch Commbank and Accor to focus on an upgraded Campbelltown it’d make sense. But Leichhardt will never be more than an old fashioned “boutique” stadium and spending on anything more than basic upkeep there is a waste

TheRam

Coach
Why do people go to concerts? Attend theatre? Go to the pub? Much easier to stay home. We are seeing a shift in people willing to attend RL games with event status in modern decent stadia, for the experience. Then the travel issue becomes minor. Problem is we have many games that are run of the mill in poor venues at non convenient times. That's why people don't go, not because they have to get two trains and take 45mins to get there.

Agreed, but It all adds up. Better venues and better times will definitely have a positive impact on crowds. But we will never get that as long as the Networks pay for our supper. So it is imperative that we can make getting to the shitholes or stadiums quickly and conveniently. Otherwise crowds will always be affected adversely.

TheRam

Coach
The thing that amuses me the most about the decision is all they’re talking about it upgrading Leichhardt, no mention of Campbelltown. If the goal had been to ditch Commbank and Accor to focus on an upgraded Campbelltown it’d make sense. But Leichhardt will never be more than an old fashioned “boutique” stadium and spending on anything more than basic upkeep there is a waste

I think the Tiger part of the franchise is fighting tooth and nail to stay relevant and part of the equation by keeping the team based in the inner city and playing some games at Leichhardt. If they were to ever ditch it completely and move totally South-West they would be acknowledging to their fans and general public that they are basically a Wests team even though their COE is at Concord. And who knows a decade or so down the track they might even make moves to build a completely new COE out there too, thus putting the nail in the coffin.

They don't want that. The Balmain is still beating somewhere deep inside of that Tiger heart I suspect.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agreed, but It all adds up. Better venues and better times will definitely have a positive impact on crowds. But we will never get that as long as the Networks pay for our supper. So it is imperative that we can make getting to the shitholes or stadiums quickly and conveniently. Otherwise crowds will always be affected adversely.
Thats the thing it, adds up. So transport isnt such a big issue if it isnt 10.30pm on a Thursday night when you're trying to get home. The NRL was supposed to have control of scheduling but it looks to me the TV is just as much in control as it ever was. Put the LO games in front of 10k on a Thurs night and save the big games in decent stadiums for the best time slots.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think the Tiger part of the franchise is fighting tooth and nail to stay relevant and part of the equation by keeping the team based in the inner city and playing some games at Leichhardt. If they were to ever ditch it completely and move totally South-West they would be acknowledging to their fans and general public that they are basically a Wests team even though their COE is at Concord. And who knows a decade or so down the track they might even make moves to build a completely new COE out there too, thus putting the nail in the coffin.

They don't want that. The Balmain is still beating somewhere deep inside of that Tiger heart I suspect.
I suspect the city corporate $ is a big motivator. The further you move away from the city the less corporate sales you generate maybe?
Although how much they make in corporate sales at a sht hole like LO is questionable. They currently generate one of the lowest corporate sales revenue of any of the sydney clubs.

TheRam

Coach
Thats the thing it, adds up. So transport isnt such a big issue if it isnt 10.30pm on a Thursday night when you're trying to get home. The NRL was supposed to have control of scheduling but it looks to me the TV is just as much in control as it ever was. Put the LO games in front of 10k on a Thurs night and save the big games in decent stadiums for the best time slots.

Agreed but that doesn't happen enough does it?

It will never be addressed correctly. TV will be the boss as they always have been.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agreed but that doesn't happen enough does it?

It will never be addressed correctly. TV will be the boss as they always have been.
It'll be interesting to see what pressure starts to come from clubs as they get more successful at growing fanbased and corprate revenue. They've kind of traditionally not cared as they've had pokies filling the revenue holes and the game hasnt traditionally attracted big fanbases in years gone by. If I was a private owner of a club and I knew I could get 30k with right game, right time or 12k if wrong then I know what pressure Id be putting on the NRL!

A start would be having 7pm KO for night games, not 8pm.

I dont have data for all the clubs but you can see for the ones we can see that fanbase and corporate revenue is matching or bettering the NRL grant now for many

club fc revenue.jpg

T.S Quint

Coach
Tigers have a real issue.
I used to live in Campbelltown and now live in the Balmain area.
From my experience, Tigers fans from the South-West don't travel into Leichhardt games. Fans from the Inner West don't travel out to Campbelltown games. In fact from what I can see around where I live is that no one really gives a shit about the Tigers unless there is a game on at Leichhardt. There are some diehard supporters who get into the (numerous) pubs to watch the games, but I see more people walking around in Swans gear going to the SCG in Balmain/Rozelle these days than in Tigers gear heading out to Campbelltown.

Homebush seemed like a reasonable option for both sets of fans to get to, but no one likes it out there.

Campbelltown never really gets great crowds, but they never got 'premier' games there. Always Canberra, Cowboys, Knights, Titans. Rarely any big Sydney derbys, they were always saved for Homebush or Leichhardt. I haven't seen Parra play there since 1999, and there are heaps of Parra fans out in the area. Same with Souths. Never really got a fair go.

The bullshit about Leichhardt being the 'spiritual home' and the '8th wonder of the world' is just that - bullshit. I was there last Saturday night. I went to get a beer 10 minutes before halftime. I got back to my seat just before the second half kickoff. That is not how 21st century fans of a professional sporting league should be treated.