What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Wb1234

Immortal
It does, but it's also 668 times smaller than mainland Australia, has a population of only 2.6mil most of which live in what you might call the Doha metro area, and it's a loaded gulf state.

It wouldn't be an issue if Australia was as small and densely populated as Qatar, but we're not, and building trainlines that connect most or all the host cities (i.e. the major cities), and updating public transport within most of those cities themselves on top of that, would be a significant undertaking.
Express camel service

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I’m sure Qatar has better public transport than Australia
Have you seen the size of Qatar? The whole country is about 150x70km, and the majority of the population is in one city (Doha). Ot probably does have great public transport infrastructure because it would cost comparatively little to develop.

flippikat

Bench
Hmm, problem is that would entail a full rebuild, and the main advantage of Mt Smart currently is that it already has two good main stands. I think Mt Smart would be best upgraded by just building on what’s already there- a large south stand connecting the east and west and some permanent terracing on the north hill would probable push the maximum capacity up to around 35k and would be doable for comparatively little outlay. A full rebuild to 50-60k would be big money and won’t happen any time soon.
Fair points, and admittedly my "rebuild Mt Smart, change Eden Park to an Oval" idea is a very long shot, but I was considering the following scenario....

* Eden Park's current redevelopment proposal (stand upgrades & a retractable roof) hits considerable opposition and proves impossible to get consent.

* Building a new waterfront/CBD stadium to replace Eden Park (a 'plan B') fails to secure the required land parcel for it.

* Intense opposition from the proposed new cricket venue (whether that's Western Springs or where-ever) meaning Cricket is stuck at Eden Park.

In that scenario, the powers-that-be would have to stick with an Eden Park & Mount Smart solution.. and if Eden Park can't get upgrades like a roof, then maybe a Mount Smart rebuild becomes attractive - being as it's pretty much in an industrial zone anyway, and has a ton of space to develop in.

Wb1234

Immortal
Fair points, and admittedly my "rebuild Mt Smart, change Eden Park to an Oval" idea is a very long shot, but I was considering the following scenario....

* Eden Park's current redevelopment proposal (stand upgrades & a retractable roof) hits considerable opposition and proves impossible to get consent.

* Building a new waterfront/CBD stadium to replace Eden Park (a 'plan B') fails to secure the required land parcel for it.

* Intense opposition from the proposed new cricket venue (whether that's Western Springs or where-ever) meaning Cricket is stuck at Eden Park.

In that scenario, the powers-that-be would have to stick with an Eden Park & Mount Smart solution.. and if Eden Park can't get upgrades like a roof, then maybe a Mount Smart rebuild becomes attractive - being as it's pretty much in an industrial zone anyway, and has a ton of space to develop in.
Plan b

sell both eden park and mt smart for housing

something iconic

Wb1234

Immortal
Have you seen the size of Qatar? The whole country is about 150x70km, and the majority of the population is in one city (Doha). Ot probably does have great public transport infrastructure because it would cost comparatively little to develop.
There’s no way in the world it has better public transport than Australia

the amount of money nsw has spent recently is crazy and that’s just upgrades to a huge system

flippikat

Bench
Plan b

sell both eden park and mt smart for housing

something iconic
Yeah, IMO the ideal is to scrap Eden Park (sell for housing) maybe just keep #2 ground as a community cricket/rugby venue, re-configure Mt Smart back to athletics (selling off any surplus land), and build a new rectangular stadium in the CBD, plus find a suitable cricket-specific oval that's fit for that game's Provincial & international needs.

That all depends on the CBD stadium, and the two sites most often mentioned (waterfront & railway land) hinge on getting port or railways operations moved to accommodate it.

If that proves unworkable, then Mt Smart surely comes into focus.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

Auckland needs a TOTAL reorganisation of its major stadiums, problem is there are pros and cons to all of them and it would require a lot of consensus from several major entities to get to a proper solution.
Personally I’d be happy if both Eden Park and Mt Smart were sold off and replaced with a waterfront stadium and western springs redeveloped for cricket, but that’d still leave speedway needing a home.

flippikat

Bench
Auckland needs a TOTAL reorganisation of its major stadiums, problem is there are pros and cons to all of them and it would require a lot of consensus from several major entities to get to a proper solution.
Personally I’d be happy if both Eden Park and Mt Smart were sold off and replaced with a waterfront stadium and western springs redeveloped for cricket, but that’d still leave speedway needing a home.
Yeah, maybe just keeping Eden Park #2 ground (the secondary cricket oval) as a community ground for local club cricket/rugby, and maybe Mount Smart #2 as an athletics facility.. but aside from that your plan sounds pretty good.

The devil is getting all parties to agree - as you say.

TheRam

Coach
There's been a lot of to-ing and fro-ing with Auckland's stadium strategy, and still no real direction.

If a new stadium in the CBD proves to be too tough to pull-off, maybe (MAYBE) the powers that be should look at redeveloping Mt Smart as the premium rectangular stadium, capacity 50k-60k, with a 25k "club mode" option, and work towards Eden Park as a cricket ground, reducing the seating THERE a little (say to 40k-ish) but greening it but adding a few trees/embankments etc that's more befitting of a cricket ground?

Warriors can play at Eden Park while Mt Smart is rebuilt, then after Mt Smart is re-opened cricket can either be played in a temporary venue (Eden Park #2 ground?) or just do Eden Park #1 redevelopment as a bit-by-bit thing.

After all, once the City Rail Link is operational (2026?), it should help a lot with transport to/from both.

I tell you what I would do...

As soon as the new Te Kaha all weather in door Stadium is opened in Christchurch in April 2026 I think, I would negotiate to play there in 3 year blocks. I would sneak off like the teams in the NFL do and tell the NRL and Auckland Governments that while you dick around and don't build the appropriate Stadium infrastructure(new Auckland harbour side stadium) then we will not waste our time and leave money on the table waiting.

Build it and we will come back, otherwise we will be the New Zealand Warriors playing out of the salubrious surroundings that is Te Kaha. They can't lose either way. The new corporate boxes and support that they will generate money wise alone will guarantee success.

If the warriors are winning games like they are right now there would be sellouts all the time and it would probably become the new sporting holiday weekend destination for a lot of visiting opposition fans from Australia too. The roof aspect and city location would also be a major lure and guarantee no matter what the weather the fans will always be comfortable and in a luxurious sporting hotel of sorts with an abundance of atmosphere. Which is all part of the holiday experience that they are paying and craving for. Even wives and girlfriends like sporting events, which is what this will become for the city and its visitors.

Winning!

I don't think it would be all that long to be honest if the Warriors had the balls to do such an audacious thing that the NZ/Auckland Governments would quickly come to an agreement and stump up the funding for a new stadium quick smart. The people of Auckland and the surrounding areas will see to that very vocally I'm sure. No major city wants to be the second string banana do they? Auckland will be losing out on so many events by comparison. The roof is a game changer. Concerts and sporting events will be clamoring with the guarantee of no more washouts and being in a state of the art brand new facility.

In fact if I were the NRL/Warriors I would start to agitate now. Make it known that the possibility is there and it is a real option should the Government keep shelving a new stadium harbour build indefinitely and to show we mean business I would schedule at least half the seasons home games there in the first year of Te Kaha opening, with depending on the Govs response, full seasons games from then on till something is done if ever.

Like I said, win, win for the Warriors and even generating new fans further a field.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
There’s no way in the world it has better public transport than Australia

the amount of money nsw has spent recently is crazy and that’s just upgrades to a huge system
Lol there’s every way in the world that one of the world’s richest countries on a per capita basis which also happens to effectively a city-state would have better PT infrastructure than Australia.

Wb1234

Immortal
Lol there’s every way in the world that one of the world’s richest countries on a per capita basis which also happens to effectively a city-state would have better PT infrastructure than Australia.
I quoted a post which said australia wouldn’t get it based on not having good enough public transport systems which was total bs

i suspect as well Qatar would mostly be private transport

most middle eastern counties have poor public spending

Latest posts