What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

beave

Coach
That’s the kind of ground a Perth nrl team should be playing out of not the dump that is proposed

Blows my mind that QCB cost $300mil to build, including a fair bit of ground works and designed to withstand cyclones and for the same price penrith are only getting a "refurb"......

Wb1234

Immortal
Blows my mind that QCB cost $300mil to build, including a fair bit of ground works and designed to withstand cyclones and for the same price penrith are only getting a "refurb"......
I know

Penrith is sounding really uninspiring

Perth Red

Post Whore
All they have to do is put their 10k crowds on that side and have the cameras opposite it and people will think they are the next storm

and the corporate facilities in that new stand look excellent
Fortunately the tv cameras are opposite east stand so we’re all good.

IMG_0036.jpeg

Pneuma

First Grade
I don’t give a feck about soccer but if they are filling large rectangle stadiums in NZ Qld and NSW them I’m more than happy. However we will never get the men’s World Cup while major States have such pathetic infrastructure. Victoria SA and WA let us down endlessly with their fumble stadiums and lack of decent stadiums for dominant world sports like soccer. And as for the two idiots running Tasmania and the ACT. They are determined to make the same mistake.

Pneuma

First Grade
I think this forum is misled, if they think that FIFA awards World Cups on the basis of available stadia and merit.

It's the most corrupt organisation in the world, and after how badly burned we got bidding for the 2012 world cup, it's unlikely we will do it again, especially in the period of financial decline

Remember all that. Qatar getting the last cup summed it all up nicely.

I think this forum is misled, if they think that FIFA awards World Cups on the basis of available stadia and merit.

It's the most corrupt organisation in the world, and after how badly burned we got bidding for the 2012 world cup, it's unlikely we will do it again, especially in the period of financial decline

100% true but their corruption was exposed last time and the US in particular, from the president down were pissed off and called them out which led to investigations and unwanted exposure. The IOC are corrupt as well but multiple failed bids taught us lessons which eventually got Sydney over the line.

To me, the period of ‘financial decline’ you speak of is a great leveller especially when you consider our economy is better than most. It was this very financial instability that won the games for Brisbane as no other country was in any position to entertain a bid. Also, FIFA would be very aware that the bidding process would be under heavier than normal scrutiny this time round.

Without a doubt it’s a long shot but the rewards make the risks worth it.

Canard

Immortal
If people yearn for a hill to watch RL just come to one of the hundreds of regional grounds in country NSW and QLD.

That people think this is some sort of "unique" arrangement, shows how out of touch some inner city hipsters are.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The Women's Football World Cup has been very instructive about attendances for major sport.

Particularly in Perth and Adelaide, where the numbers have been comparative low compared to comparable-sized cities Brisbane and Auckland. Their low figures can be attributed to one or both of the following factors - poor rectangular stadium infrastructure, or that those cities are not interested in attending sports other than ozzie rules.

Either way, it begets caution from Rugby League about expansion into those cities.

Bukowski

Juniors
The Women's Football World Cup has been very instructive about attendances for major sport.

Particularly in Perth and Adelaide, where the numbers have been comparative low compared to comparable-sized cities Brisbane and Auckland. Their low figures can be attributed to one or both of the following factors - poor rectangular stadium infrastructure, or that those cities are not interested in attending sports other than ozzie rules.

Either way, it begets caution from Rugby League about expansion into those cities.
Perth games sold out.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Very hard to do that when the only nations that play it seriously are a handful of PI nations, NZ and a small group of Pommies in the north of England.

No real competition from any other European, Middle Eastern, African, Asian, American or South American nations. Basically the whole of the rest of the world couldn't give a toss and we as a code have done very little to change that and actually even dismissed great opportunities like the one I posted about in China in a Province of 27 million people and getting our game in all the universities there for virtually no money down. China would nave been a massive coup for our sport and a decade or two down the road we would have seen some massive offshoots. Oh well another one bites the dust.

With all the multi cultural background that Australia has, until we start to play those other nations in bona fide games against quality opposition, internationals will always struggle to ignite the passions of our nation as a whole. The game of RL will always remain an international irrelevancy until, if ever, the powers that be keep ignoring it. People love competition that matters and especially against the bigger nations that so many Aussies can identify with.

The Pacific Islands are a great start, but now we need to think bigger. China and Russia should both be our next objective. Both relatively young to international sport, both super powers that have huge populations and would be very inexpensive compared to other more established nations to forge a foothold in. Also these two nations are natural rivals so it would bring a wonderful new complexity to the games and guarantee huge interest within their nations if we were successful in getting it up and running, which I am very confident that we could if we were strategic and smart about it. Both nations were ready a decade or so ago but we dropped the ball then. Lets hope that it isn't to late and someone at head office with clout finally wakes up to what we should be perusing and invests a little time and effort in making this happen for the good of the game and more players, revenue and new fans then ever before could actually be a reality.

We can dream I suppose.
I guess to be fair, we've had our hands full in Australia the last 25 years following the fall-out of the SL war. Only now is the game starting to gain momentum again. We'll start with NZ and the Pacific and expand the brand from there.

Hopefully IMG and the RFL can do the same in the Northern Hemesphere, start with France and expand out.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Also a result of soccer having a non flexible stadium criteria. Meanwhile the NRL will get around 40k next week at optus.
But HBF will need to lift capacity for an NRL team.
It's such a shame that the event will be at Optus. It's a slog watching footy on an oval, very poor viewing experience.

The WA Government needs to come to the party on HBF before an NRL bid can be seriously considered.

Last edited:
Quite frankly that looks f**king shite!

The playing field looks so far away, you might as well use binoculars. The viewing experience looks the equivalent of sliding down a 30 foot razor blade, with only your testicles used as brakes. (Slightly amusing, but mostly painful)

This is one of the best examples of how shitful an oval field can be.

I suspect that photo may have been taken at Henson Park unless I'm mistaken.

Latest posts