What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Desert Qlder

First Grade
It’s been nice for Rugby League to return to the Gabba. Turning back the clock and a tip of the hat to some wonderful RL history there.

But unlike the SCG, we won’t overstay this trip down memory lane.

Pneuma

First Grade
It’s been nice for Rugby League to return to the Gabba. Turning back the clock and a tip of the hat to some wonderful RL history there.

But unlike the SCG, we won’t overstay this trip down memory lane.
Aerial views showed why we don’t belong there.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I tell you what I would do...

As soon as the new Te Kaha all weather in door Stadium is opened in Christchurch in April 2026 I think, I would negotiate to play there in 3 year blocks. I would sneak off like the teams in the NFL do and tell the NRL and Auckland Governments that while you dick around and don't build the appropriate Stadium infrastructure(new Auckland harbour side stadium) then we will not waste our time and leave money on the table waiting.

Build it and we will come back, otherwise we will be the New Zealand Warriors playing out of the salubrious surroundings that is Te Kaha. They can't lose either way. The new corporate boxes and support that they will generate money wise alone will guarantee success.

If the warriors are winning games like they are right now there would be sellouts all the time and it would probably become the new sporting holiday weekend destination for a lot of visiting opposition fans from Australia too. The roof aspect and city location would also be a major lure and guarantee no matter what the weather the fans will always be comfortable and in a luxurious sporting hotel of sorts with an abundance of atmosphere. Which is all part of the holiday experience that they are paying and craving for. Even wives and girlfriends like sporting events, which is what this will become for the city and its visitors.

Winning!

I don't think it would be all that long to be honest if the Warriors had the balls to do such an audacious thing that the NZ/Auckland Governments would quickly come to an agreement and stump up the funding for a new stadium quick smart. The people of Auckland and the surrounding areas will see to that very vocally I'm sure. No major city wants to be the second string banana do they? Auckland will be losing out on so many events by comparison. The roof is a game changer. Concerts and sporting events will be clamoring with the guarantee of no more washouts and being in a state of the art brand new facility.

In fact if I were the NRL/Warriors I would start to agitate now. Make it known that the possibility is there and it is a real option should the Government keep shelving a new stadium harbour build indefinitely and to show we mean business I would schedule at least half the seasons home games there in the first year of Te Kaha opening, with depending on the Govs response, full seasons games from then on till something is done if ever.

Like I said, win, win for the Warriors and even generating new fans further a field.
Depends what they’re holding out for. If they’re trying to get a decent upgrade to Mt Smart for 50-100M it might work and result in a pretty good upgrade.
If they’re trying to leverage and all singing, all dancing state of the art roofed stadium for Auckland then I doubt it’ll work- the economics of it just don’t add up in terms of what the Warriors alone bring in, unless that stadium proposal is already very much on the table.

Wb1234

Immortal
Depends what they’re holding out for. If they’re trying to get a decent upgrade to Mt Smart for 50-100M it might work and result in a pretty good upgrade.
If they’re trying to leverage and all singing, all dancing state of the art roofed stadium for Auckland then I doubt it’ll work- the economics of it just don’t add up in terms of what the Warriors alone bring in, unless that stadium proposal is already very much on the table.
How can christchurch manage it with a much smaller population

sure the old stadium got damaged but they rebuilt something far better

Auckland is the biggest city and it’s got the Auckland blues and warriors as tenants

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
How can christchurch manage it with a much smaller population

sure the old stadium got damaged but they rebuilt something far better

Auckland is the biggest city and it’s got the Auckland blues and warriors as tenants
The old stadium wasn’t damaged it was destroyed. That’s the only reason Christchurch got a new, state of the art stadium, they HAD to build a brand new facility and once you’re in that position it’s a lot easier to get approval for something good.

Auckland’s problem is it already has functional stadiums that represent a fair amount of investment. They might not be great but it’s still a much harder sell to knock them down and rebuild them, especially when you consider the number of stakeholders involved in the Auckland stadium landscape (Union, League, Cricket, Speedway, concerts/events, the Eden Park Trust and the Council).
it’s also a far bigger city so needs bigger stadia- needing to cater to 50K+ for big rugby/cricket games but also satisfy club football requirements.

I would be super happy if a cyclone wrecked Eden Park. We might finally get a full rebuild or replacement and some upgrades to Mt Smart while it was being sorted out.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Yet we keep using Accor? Maybe we should shift the gf to allianz given how sht ovals are? Newtown need to move asap from their aflw ground.

Behind the posts are shit

sideline though are more then fine.

Compare that to being 20m from the sideline on ovals

Latest posts