What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
aussie love to show their pride at world cups

soccer participation numbers are a mirage. Soccer mums won’t allow their kids to play a contact sport so soccer is the safest option

any Aussie soccer fan already has the premier league he doesn’t need to waste time on a garbage league which is division two or theee equivalent
bit simplistic, theres dozens of non contact sports kids could play, soccer contines to be by far one of the most popular

if that were true Kangaroos and other sports internationals games would pack out, soccer dominates all when it comes to internationals in actual competitions.

last bit totally agree and by far the Aleagues biggest problem. There would be more EPL fans in Australia than Aleague fans
Having said that it doesnt seem to be a problem in many other countries whose soccer comps are no where near EPL level and soccer is still massive. I guess competing with AFL and NRL for hearts and minds also plays a big part, though again soccer in USA seems to have taken off despite competing with their main sports. Anyways as long as it stays a minor sport I'm happy!

Wb1234

Referee
bit simplistic, theres dozens of non contact sports kids could play, soccer contines to be by far one of the most popular

if that were true Kangaroos and other sports internationals games would pack out, soccer dominates all when it comes to internationals in actual competitions.

last bit totally agree and by far the Aleagues biggest problem. There would be more EPL fans in Australia than Aleague fans
Having said that it doesnt seem to be a problem in many other countries whose soccer comps are no where near EPL level and soccer is still massive. I guess competing with AFL and NRL for hearts and minds also plays a big part, though again soccer in USA seems to have taken off despite competing with their main sports. Anyways as long as it stays a minor sport I'm happy!
Wallabies used to get the same sellouts

With a population of over 350, million, they’re bound to get a following but can you confidently say the yanks have embraced soccer?

For me, the ALeague’s problem is a lot of the decent talent - current or emerging, goes to Europe and Asia so the comp is kinda stuck in mediocrity which naturally effects crowds/ratings. It’s a bit like the NRL’s crowds dip when the best players go into camp in Origin period.

I know the comp started from scratch by creating new clubs and all but do you think there’s still an ethnic barrier? The Poms created Perth Glory, are they still the main supporter group out your way? I’ve been to a Wanderers/FC derby and I can tell ya, it’s not a snapshot of the Shire.

Wb1234

Referee
With a population of over 350, million, they’re bound to get a following but can you confidently say the yanks have embraced soccer?

For me, the ALeague’s problem is a lot of the decent talent - current or emerging, goes to Europe and Asia so the comp is kinda stuck in mediocrity which naturally effects crowds/ratings. It’s a bit like the NRL’s crowds dip when the best players go into camp in Origin period.

I know the comp started from scratch by creating new clubs and all but do you think there’s still an ethnic barrier? The Poms created Perth Glory, are they still the main supporter group out your way? I’ve been to a Wanderers/FC derby and I can tell ya, it’s not a snapshot of the Shire.
Should’ve kept the old ethnic clubs that’s their mistake

it is what it is

at least Marconi and maybe Olympic
South melb

Suitman

Post Whore

I've read this afternoon's posts on this thread that I believe was initiated by @flippikat with all good intentions regarding a positive decision today from the A-League that may benefit the NRL. That is - an extra team in Auckland that could possibly help RL gain some credence in getting upgrades to a stadium that both clubs may very well share.
There has been some very good, mature posts in response to that, and then there has been LU's biggest troll, @Wb1234, who has without question, lowered the IQ level of the whole of the LU Forum on his own.
(Anyone just needs to read the "Soccer taking Over" thread in The Fight Club to see my point - the past two days has been a pre-school lesson in how not to engage on the internet with immature clowns arguing like 2 year olds)

Ignoring anything that dickhead has said, this is good for RL. Another tenant using a rectangular stadium.
Commbank would never have been rebuilt without the initial success of the Wanderers. Allianz the same without Sydney FC and the Waratahs. Sure, Rugby and football crowds have died, while RL crowds have gone gangbusters, but that doesn't mean these other sports haven't assisted rectangular stadium upgrades in the past.
I certainly hope this new Auckland A-League franchise are successful and can get some reasonable attendances, because that can only be good for the Warriors.
RL is not in competition with football in this part of the world. We play in different seasons which partly overlap. RL certainly isn't scared by football.
But any success Football has, can certainly benefit RL when it comes to stadium upgrades.
The AFL on the other hand......

Wb1234

Referee
Yeh another soccer club averaging 5k crowds is going to encourage Auckland council to rebuild a 30k stadium

especially when the main tenant average close to 20k and it’s not being upgraded for them

nz is obviously a country which is crazy for rugby codes

Perth Red

Post Whore

No idea yeh, soccer is boring as batsht to me lol
some English mates used to go to glory every game but not for last few years. Sage pssed a lot of fans off and their on field mediocrity turned many off.

flippikat

Bench
Yeh another soccer club averaging 5k crowds is going to encourage Auckland council to rebuild a 30k stadium

especially when the main tenant average close to 20k and it’s not being upgraded for them

nz is obviously a country which is crazy for rugby codes
You miss the point completely.

The council/investors in a new stadium would want to see maximum utility from it.

At the moment, the schedule for any rectangular stadium in Auckland is VERY winter-heavy - aside from a few concerts etc, the months of November-February just don't get much use.

Heck, North Harbour Stadium got a baseball team to play there over summer (the short lived Tuatara) to tackle precisely this issue.

However, having an A-league team as tenant changes the profile of those months. Suddenly you have a regular tenant while RU/RL is taking a break.

That's the difference.

Wb1234

Referee
You miss the point completely.

The council/investors in a new stadium would want to see maximum utility from it.

At the moment, the schedule for any rectangular stadium in Auckland is VERY winter-heavy - aside from a few concerts etc, the months of November-February just don't get much use.

Heck, North Harbour Stadium got a baseball team to play there over summer (the short lived Tuatara) to tackle precisely this issue.

However, having an A-league team as tenant changes the profile of those months. Suddenly you have a regular tenant while RU/RL is taking a break.

That's the difference.
Let’s see if the club is even around in five years

silver lake could want their equity money paid back and the a league don’t have it

Canard

Immortal
I've read this afternoon's posts on this thread that I believe was initiated by @flippikat with all good intentions regarding a positive decision today from the A-League that may benefit the NRL. That is - an extra team in Auckland that could possibly help RL gain some credence in getting upgrades to a stadium that both clubs may very well share.
There has been some very good, mature posts in response to that, and then there has been LU's biggest troll, @Wb1234, who has without question, lowered the IQ level of the whole of the LU Forum on his own.
(Anyone just needs to read the "Soccer taking Over" thread in The Fight Club to see my point - the past two days has been a pre-school lesson in how not to engage on the internet with immature clowns arguing like 2 year olds)

Ignoring anything that dickhead has said, this is good for RL. Another tenant using a rectangular stadium.
Commbank would never have been rebuilt without the initial success of the Wanderers. Allianz the same without Sydney FC and the Waratahs. Sure, Rugby and football crowds have died, while RL crowds have gone gangbusters, but that doesn't mean these other sports haven't assisted rectangular stadium upgrades in the past.
I certainly hope this new Auckland A-League franchise are successful and can get some reasonable attendances, because that can only be good for the Warriors.
RL is not in competition with football in this part of the world. We play in different seasons which partly overlap. RL certainly isn't scared by football.
But any success Football has, can certainly benefit RL when it comes to stadium upgrades.
The AFL on the other hand......
Online some Aucklanders have talked about a small boutique stadium on the harbour?

Resident Kiwis might know more

Timbo

Staff member
The biggest win for Auckland really is the fact that North Harbour Stadium was converted into a baseball ground.

It leaves Mt Smart as the only medium-sized stadium in the entire city. It also means that if they do want to go through the re-development of Eden Park instead of building a waterfont stadium for rugby and converting the speedway for cricket, that Mt Smart will have to be updated in some capacity otherwise there will be nowhere for the All Blacks to play during the redevelopment period.

And lets be honest, that's really all the people making decisions in Auckland care about.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I wonder if the newly announced Auckland A-league club will put pressure on for a new rectangular stadium build in Auckland?

If I was Warriors CEO/Chairman/Owner, I'd be in touch with them about lobbying for a new build (or at LEAST upgrades) now.

It certainly won’t hurt the case for it.
and if they play out of Mt Smart (likely) it’ll definitely help to case for ongoing upgrades there.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Online some Aucklanders have talked about a small boutique stadium on the harbour?

Resident Kiwis might know more
That really makes no sense. If you’re going to build in a prime harbour front location it’d need to replace Eden Park as the prime venue with 50-60k capacity.

Wb1234

Referee
That really makes no sense. If you’re going to build in a prime harbour front location it’d need to replace Eden Park as the prime venue with 50-60k capacity.
The new soccer teams in Campbelltown and western Melbourne promised new grounds too

nobody is spending 400 million for a soccer club with 5k fan base

Canard

Immortal

Foley is also open to a custom-built arena. He is happy at Mt Smart - “we are there for a few years at least” - but told the Herald the long-term plan would be a waterfront stadium, with a capacity of around 20,000.

“It’s something we would want to do,” said Foley. “We need to get the right partners, but I want to be very involved. We want our own stadium and we are quite excited about that, though it would take time.”

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Ah so it’s the soccer guys wanting their own stadium long term. Nice if they can pull it but unless the owner wants to foot the entire bill basically zero chance of it happening.
probanly zero chance of it happening even then as it just doesn’t stack up economically for any football code in Auckland have a stadium for its exclusive use.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Ah so it’s the soccer guys wanting their own stadium long term. Nice if they can pull it but unless the owner wants to foot the entire bill basically zero chance of it happening
Old mates a billionaire and owns the Vegas Golden Knights, but even he might struggle to finance a private stadium without partners (which tbf he does state in his media stuff).

According to some online the favourite name for the team is the Black Knights, but this might be a pisstake.

Latest posts