What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Old mates a billionaire and owns the Vegas Golden Knights, but even he might struggle to finance a private stadium without partners (which tbf he does state in his media stuff).

According to some online the favourite name for the team is the Black Knights, but this might be a pisstake.
The NZ Knights were also the Auckland based A League side that was replaced by the Phoenix - so that name has relevance on a few levels.

I think with the stadium thing he might’ve been thinking aloud in American - they have less cause for cross-code sharing of stadia because their popular codes all have fairly different pitch requirements. It just doesn’t make sense in Auckland even if you could afford it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NZ Knights were also the Auckland based A League side that was replaced by the Phoenix - so that name has relevance on a few levels.

I think with the stadium thing he might’ve been thinking aloud in American - they have less cause for cross-code sharing of stadia because their popular codes all have fairly different pitch requirements. It just doesn’t make sense in Auckland even if you could afford it.
depends, might seem a bit limiting but Aleague clubs playing out of 10-15k or so stadiums would probably be a better experence for their fans. Its hard to see many of them ever nudging 20k plus again.

Wb1234

Immortal

What were the nz knights crowds in Auckland like

Canard

Immortal

He is a weird dude.

Claims in this radio interview to have been visiting NZ for over 20 years, yet pronounced the citys name as Uckland, and pronounces it Premeer League team, he also mangles Ligue 1.

He makes Vlandys look well spoken.

TheRam

Coach
He is a weird dude.

Claims in this radio interview to have been visiting NZ for over 20 years, yet pronounced the citys name as Uckland, and pronounces it Premeer League team, he also mangles Ligue 1.

He makes Vlandys look well spoken.

So he reckons 20-25K stadium with no roof at the harbour within 3-4 years. I hope the ARLC/NRL/NZ Warriors all get involved in this and join in to have input and influence. Even at 25K it would be way to small for Auckland. We need to get the momentum behind selling Eden Park and using the proceeds as part of a 50K stadium on the harbour as has been the plan on and off for more then a decade now by private consortiums. To build something so small would be such a wasted opportunity and if they want that size, then they should just redevelop Mt Smart.

This guy has a lot of energy and a can do attitude which is great but we need to join in and direct it to get what is really needed for Auckland long term, not just to suit his agenda.

But well we know how slow and non focussed the ARLC can be on so many issues, so I expect no involvement or very little and this guy having the loudest say. So RL.

Jamberoo

Juniors
The Gabba is going to be out of action for at least 4 seasons of AFL starting from 2026 onwards.

Four AFL seasons and three cricket seasons. That is old news, but what is surprising is the demolition will start in just over two years, but there is still no plan or even an indication of where those sports will play during the rebuild. Lions will likely lose half their crowd. Good for Rugby League and perfect timing for the Dolphins to lock themselves in a Brisbane’s number 2 sporting team.

Wb1234

Immortal
Four AFL seasons and three cricket seasons. That is old news, but what is surprising is the demolition will start in just over two years, but there is still no plan or even an indication of where those sports will play during the rebuild. Lions will likely lose half their crowd. Good for Rugby League and perfect timing for the Dolphins to lock themselves in a Brisbane’s number 2 sporting team.
Old anz ground broncos used to play at ?

they will get compo all tenants do when they can’t use their grounds

Canard

Immortal
Exactly my thoughts, whilst ultimately they get a brand new venue, its going to be a real kick in the dick for AFL for a number of years (and cricket).

Jamberoo

Juniors
Old anz ground broncos used to play at ?

they will get compo all tenants do when they can’t use their grounds
It has never worked like that in the AFL. Don’t think any team has ever received compensation, which is fair enough if you are getting a brand new stadium for free in a few years. Lions revenue is projected to drop 15m - $17m per year.

ANZ has been ruled out. It will be Brisbane Showgrounds, Springfield or Metricon.

Cricket will likely make do with Allan Border Field for Shield and Women, with BBL at Metricon. Probably no tests in Queensland between 25/26 and 29/30 Ashes series.

Wb1234

Immortal
It has never worked like that in the AFL. Don’t think any team has ever received compensation, which is fair enough if you are getting a brand new stadium for free in a few years. Lions revenue is projected to drop 15m - $17m per year.

ANZ has been ruled out. It will be Brisbane Showgrounds, Springfield or Metricon.

Cricket will likely make do with Allan Border Field for Shield and Women, with BBL at Metricon. Probably no tests in Queensland between 25/26 and 29/30 Ashes series.
That’s how it worked when Allianz got rebuilt

all the tenants got compensation payouts because the govt broke the lease

PARRA_FAN

Coach

I did hear they could play tests against lower nations at Cairns or Townsville. Obviously the Ashes they might have to miss out unless they decide to move to Gold Coast

Jamberoo

Juniors
I did hear they could play tests against lower nations at Cairns or Townsville. Obviously the Ashes they might have to miss out unless they decide to move to Gold Coast
MCG is getting two tests in 26/27 (Boxing Day, plus 150th year Ashes test in March) so QLD will miss out. Likely only four tests 27/28 as well. They are doing the rebuild between Ashes series so they won’t miss that test.

Timbo

Staff member
MCG is getting two tests in 26/27 (Boxing Day, plus 150th year Ashes test in March) so QLD will miss out. Likely only four tests 27/28 as well. They are doing the rebuild between Ashes series so they won’t miss that test.

It’s still up in the air as to what will happen with the fifth test each summer of the other years.

Probably Canberra or Hobart will get the test, and they’ll play ODI’s or T20I’s at Carrara so the QCA doesn’t miss out.

But the QCA is still lobbying for an upgraded Ekka last I heard so they can play tests in Brisbane during the rebuild.

Canard

Immortal
It’s still up in the air as to what will happen with the fifth test each summer of the other years.

Probably Canberra or Hobart will get the test, and they’ll play ODI’s or T20I’s at Carrara so the QCA doesn’t miss out.

But the QCA is still lobbying for an upgraded Ekka last I heard so they can play tests in Brisbane during the rebuild.
The showgrounds were quite rundown when I was there a few months ago, it would take a chunk to upgrade it