What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Timbo

Staff member
The showgrounds were quite rundown when I was there a few months ago, it would take a chunk to upgrade it

Yeah - but they’re being lobbied hard by the QCA and the Lions for a 25,000 venue in Brisbane for the five years they don’t have The Gabba. Converting QSAC into an oval was also being mooted.

I think the likely result is that cricket an AFL are shuffled around between Springfield, Allan Border Field and Cararra as needed. But governments do like to splash cash like crazy before an Olympics despite what they say about budgets so who knows?

beave

Coach
The showgrounds were quite rundown when I was there a few months ago, it would take a chunk to upgrade it

The main arena is run down badly, i was there earlier in the year for Knotfest and walking around it during the daylight hours it's a complete dump. The only thing going for it is the location.

I can see the state gov wanting to turn it into an interim AFL ground, but I'm not sure how much money they would be prepared to throw at it (and there's probably heritage issues with knocking down some old stands), but for mine at least the money spent doing it up somewhat will have legacy use for the Ekka and festivals.

The AFL will want the new ground at Springfield done up IMO as it's more in their benefit to have a 20k boutique ground in the middle of a league heartland....... I drive past it everyday and the prime land they were gifted by the previous council makes my blood boil.

Timbo

Staff member
The main arena is run down badly, i was there earlier in the year for Knotfest and walking around it during the daylight hours it's a complete dump. The only thing going for it is the location.

I can see the state gov wanting to turn it into an interim AFL ground, but I'm not sure how much money they would be prepared to throw at it (and there's probably heritage issues with knocking down some old stands), but for mine at least the money spent doing it up somewhat will have legacy use for the Ekka and festivals.

The AFL will want the new ground at Springfield done up IMO as it's more in their benefit to have a 20k boutique ground in the middle of a league heartland....... I drive past it everyday and the prime land they were gifted by the previous council makes my blood boil.

Yeah, I tend to go Occam’s razor a bit on this one.

1 - Temporary stands at Springfield taking it to
20,000 as a temporary home for the Lions.
2 - International cricket in Queensland to be limited overs matches only, played at Carrara. They’ve also flagged winter tests in Cairns and Townsville could be possible to meet our obligations against countries like Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.
3 - The Heat to play a couple of games at Allan Border Field, the rest at Carrara.

Easiest solution, everyone gets a home, doesn’t cost a billion dollars.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
130 million for a temporary afl ground on top of 2.7 billion and Suncorp gets nothing

even kayo park could do with some cash

Kayo should have definitely been a legacy project. 25k seats, can be justified by RU 7s usage during the games and after the games leaves a quality home ground for the Dolphins, Roar and Reds if the latter two want a smaller venue for some of their games.

It's Been Done

Juniors
It's an absolute disgrace that the Brisbane area does not have a 20,000 plus rectangular ground. It's Suncorp then sub-standard club grounds. Ballymore is union-only, but probably wouldn't hold more than 10k these days.
It officially holds 18k but the Eastern Stand got declared unsafe for use more than halving the capacity of the ground to 8k. If it was safe Ballymore would've been perfect for the Roar's ALM team unlike at Suncorp where they've yet to get 10k + to any game so far

Canard

Immortal

Afls ability to get access to taxpayer funds is unrivalled

how does rugby league miss out so often
Article says that the State Govt has promised $46m IF the AFL, Brisbane City Council and RNA stump up $91M.

That's highly unlikely.

Also when are they going to build this? Work would have to start now just to make it viable.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Article says that the State Govt has promised $46m IF the AFL, Brisbane City Council and RNA stump up $91M.

That's highly unlikely.

Also when are they going to build this? Work would have to start now just to make it viable.

Afls ability to get access to taxpayer funds is unrivalled

how does rugby league miss out so often
Govt has only offered 1/3 cost which means it won’t happen. And if you are talking about poor management, the AFL/Lions have no contract with the Gabba for games so will not receive any compensation for the four and a half seasons they won’t have access. The Lions will likely end up playing at Carrara, or maybe 15k at Springfield, either way this is great for the Broncos and Dolphins.

Wb1234

Referee
Govt has only offered 1/3 cost which means it won’t happen. And if you are talking about poor management, the AFL/Lions have no contract with the Gabba for games so will not receive any compensation for the four and a half seasons they won’t have access. The Lions will likely end up playing at Carrara, or maybe 15k at Springfield, either way this is great for the Broncos and Dolphins.
Why they don’t have a lease all the other brisbane and qld teams do

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Wouldn't the AFL perspective be short term pain for long term gain i.e brand new 50/60k stadium?

Perth Red

Post Whore
$70mill compensation according to the courier mail

Canard

Immortal
So the QLD Govt is willing to spend $110M on the Lions not having the Gabba for 4 seasons? ($70m compensation + $46m showgrounds upgrade)

Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
So the QLD Govt is willing to spend $110M on the Lions not having the Gabba for 4 seasons? ($70m compensation + $46m showgrounds upgrade)

Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office
That’s more than has been spent on some NRL club stadia in the last 30 years
Probably 4x what’s been spent on Mt Smart in the Warriors existence, imagine Leichhardt, Campbelltown and Shark Park aren’t much different

Wb1234

Referee
That’s more than has been spent on some NRL club stadia in the last 30 years
Probably 4x what’s been spent on Mt Smart in the Warriors existence, imagine Leichhardt, Campbelltown and Shark Park aren’t much different
Throw in 2.7 billion for the gabba

fumblers will have had 8 billion plus spent on their stadia and a few people on here are crying bc the nsw govt was planning on spending another 600 million on stadia