What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Suitman

Post Whore
Could you build a stand there with an upper tier that cantilevered over the road? Would only require enough space for the lower tier if you did that, and only need temporary road closures/diversions during construction.
Yes, it could be done.

Suitman

Post Whore
will that be hard to do without covered stands at the end?
I image someone would be getting wet depending on how the wind blows with open stands
All stadiums get blow in rain at some point regardless of roof coverage. Except those that have fully enclosed roofs.
CommBank has great roof coverage but some fans still get wet on rainy, windy nights.
No different to many English and European stadiums that have well covered seating but are not fully enclosed.
Shit happens.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cant help it with wind but why so many Australian stadiums have drip lines 20 rows back is beyond me, paid a fortune to get soaked on row 5 at AAMI once! Same at Suncorp. even at Optus we got soaked during Origin sitting near the fence. What is it with Australian stadium architects?

PR does have a point. Most stadiums there have drip lines that overhang all the seating, not 15 rows back. Sure the side facing into the wind still cops a bit of rain but the coverage is still much better.
I’ve seen umbrellas on both sides of Allianz, though. Think the wind/breeze swirls around in a stadium. I think budgets get the better of us here and the roof is where they cut back, I guess. On the bright side, we do half-arsed better than anyone else, especially NSW.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I’ve seen umbrellas on both sides of Allianz, though. Think the wind/breeze swirls around in a stadium. I think budgets get the better of us here and the roof is where they cut back, I guess. On the bright side, we do half-arsed better than anyone else, especially NSW.
That’s PRs point, even new stadia like Allianz have pretty ordinary drip lines here.
Wind swirls around in stadiums but rain not quite so much because gravity still affects it.
Agree we tend to cut corners on that aspect here, I suspect largely because of the perception that it rains relatively little in Aus (which really is only true for some locations)

Canard

Immortal
It's just simple economics, a bigger span roof cost more, exponentially more.

It's also costs a lot more to pay for rain that only falls exactly perpendicular to the ground too make such an roof design worth it.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It's just simple economics, a bigger span roof cost more, exponentially more.

It's also costs a lot more to pay for rain that only falls exactly perpendicular to the ground too make such a roof design worth it.
Prevailing weather needs to be taken into account when you decide where to spend stadium roof budgets too. A stand that faces into the direction that weather usually arrives from is always going to cop the rain no matter how good the drip line.
Auckland is a good example - for a long time the only large covered stand at Mt Smart was on the western side because that’s the direction all the weather usually arrives from.
North Harbour made the mistake of building its eastern grandstand first, and was never properly completed, and cops criticism because as a result the good seats are all exposed to the weather.

Last edited:

The drip line is badly positioned. Opening night of Allianz I got wet, as did a lot of people. I know people who were season ti8ketholders with Sydney FC who cancelled their season tickets after they got soaked at a Sydney FC home game in seats that were supposedly undercover.

The irony is that the company that designed the current Allianz Stadium? Well they designed the original SFS too :rolleyes: