What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

flippikat

Bench
I rarely post about AFL but it would be great if the tassie team gets the arse and we announce team 18 around the same time.
The tide is turning - we have far more viable expansion options on the table now than AFL do, and with that comes the opportunity to lobby hard for stadium upgrades to accommodate expansion - and that includes expanding Suncorp for the derbies in SE-Queensland (especially if one more team - likely Brisbane Easts-led - is added later on)

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
how much work would realistically be needed to get the Gabba up to scratch including the athletics track? It’s possible a new stadium would be less.
They'd need to pluck out a few seats at the turns and for the start of the straight for sure. I have no idea how they'd do it and wish I was an engineer or had any idea of costs, but maybe a symmetrical lower bowl and a third tier on the east and west sides would be a hell of a lot cheaper than a full rebuild. Would end up a monstrosity though.

Then just rebuild level 6 (and level 7 corners which would require new truss structures) at Suncorp to become symmetrical, and increase the rows from 28/30-36 on the north and south lower bowl ends and Suncorp could end up 65k+. And have the ceremony there. Maybe we will do something different for the ceremony - it will be interesting to see how Paris goes with their boats on the Seine. All a pipe dream though.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The tide is turning - we have far more viable expansion options on the table now than AFL do, and with that comes the opportunity to lobby hard for stadium upgrades to accommodate expansion - and that includes expanding Suncorp for the derbies in SE-Queensland (especially if one more team - likely Brisbane Easts-led - is added later on)
That doesn't really amount to much if the NRL continues to ignore the most viable and important of those expansion options. The AFL execs must be pissing themselves with laughter at the prospect of a PNG side and the Anywhere Bears, and frankly I doubt they could care less about another NZ side.

Meanwhile they'll just keep on keeping on, ever so slowly building in the northern states, and consolidating in the rest of the country.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
That doesn't really amount to much if the NRL continues to ignore the most viable and important of those expansion options. The AFL execs must be pissing themselves with laughter at the prospect of a PNG side and the Anywhere Bears, and frankly I doubt they could care less about another NZ side.

Meanwhile they'll just keep on keeping on, ever so slowly building in the northern states, and consolidating in the rest of the country.
Yeh they saw how Wellington had no interest in their game and gave up

meanwhile the nrl is taking over the South Pacific

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh they saw how Wellington had no interest in their game and gave up

meanwhile the nrl is taking over the South Pacific
Yep those 300k. Samoans and Tongans will be worth so much to the nrl if we convert them from union lol
playing tests not in their country is bound to succeed.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Yep those 300k. Samoans and Tongans will be worth so much to the nrl if we convert them from union lol
playing tests not in their country is bound to succeed.
Only an afl stooge would take this at a fiscal value. The cultural significance of capturing the South Pacific is immense considering 45% of NRL players are Pacifica or Maori (48% in the NRLW) heritage. Get the virtually untapped Pacific (Tongans, Samoans, Fijians etc) playing league over union and you get an influx of player talent.

As you like reminding people, this is a future stadiums thread try to stay on topic.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Only an afl stooge would take this at a fiscal value. The cultural significance of capturing the South Pacific is immense considering 45% of NRL players are Pacifica or Maori (48% in the NRLW) heritage. Get the virtually untapped Pacific (Tongans, Samoans, Fijians etc) playing league over union and you get an influx of player talent.

As you like reminding people, this is a future stadiums thread try to stay on topic.
You're using a very strange definition of untapped when some of those islands top exports are Union players lol.

Besides, increasing player development in the islands won't mean dick if the NRL can't stop the decline in male participation and development here in Australia. Frankly, the shift in focus in the last 20 years towards poaching failed union talent from NZ and PIs on the cheap is a significant part of the reason why that decline in the local grassroots has happened in the first place, and that tactic hasn't worked out great for RU in this country either.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
You're using a very strange definition of untapped when some of those islands top exports are Union players lol.

Besides, increasing player development in the islands won't mean dick if the NRL can't stop the decline in male participation and development here in Australia. Frankly, the shift in focus in the last 20 years towards poaching failed union talent from NZ and PIs on the cheap is a significant part of the reason why that decline in the local grassroots has happened in the first place, and that tactic hasn't worked out great for RU in this country either.
I've told you before: 1 sentence replies only please. I don't read dross.

MugaB

Coach
Samoa knocked England out of the World Cup.
Yeah i think PRs issue isn't that its Samoa, its a bunch of Mt.Druitt born Samoans representing the small island of Samoa...
Its basically your version of clubland Melbourne storm, not having any juniors, so to bring RL there is useless, need to just ensure that Western Sydney is well represented, or basically anywhere there is a heavily populated area of P.I background families

Yeah i think PRs issue isn't that its Samoa, its a bunch of Mt.Druitt born Samoans representing the small island of Samoa...
Its basically your version of clubland Melbourne storm, not having any juniors, so to bring RL there is useless, need to just ensure that Western Sydney is well represented, or basically anywhere there is a heavily populated area of P.I background families
Australian/New Zealand raised Samoans knocking England out of the RLWC is a sad indictment on the quality of the RFL.

Perth Red not being happy about the players being born and/or raised in Australia/New Zealand is funny considering he thinks it's okay for Melbourne and Perth to raid the heartland states dry.