What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
Athletics are the jewel in the crown for the Olympics, its hard to believe they'll A) spilt track and field and B) be happy for the main event to be in small substandard venues. It is an issue though as they need oval stadiums and, Oz aside, no one else needs 60-80k oval stadiums. The costs of converting afterwards are often prohibitive. Bit of a conundrum for the OC.

There hasnt been an Olympics held in a stadium as small as the current Gabba since Amsterdam in 1928 with a capacity of 31.6k. The smallest one in modern times was Brasil at 60k. Other than that they have ranged from 70k-114k over last 40 years.

jim_57

Staff member
No one is going to go and watch field events on their own. Track and field is a package.

They’ll get a crowd for Archery or Cycling, shit even Rugby 7s, I think they could get a crowd for a day of the events listed above.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
They’ll get a crowd for Archery or Cycling, shit even Rugby 7s, I think they could get a crowd for a day of the events listed above.
I understand where you are coming from but its not going to happen.

Anyway this thread is about future league stadiums

jim_57

Staff member
I understand where you are coming from but its not going to happen.

Anyway this thread is about future league stadiums

Yeh not saying it will happen but something probably has to give eventually if it’s to the stage where the only bidder is the 3rd largest city in a country who doesn’t have a huge population offering a 50k stadium. In a region with a poor Timezone for a lot of international audiences.

Just think it’s a shame that for the money originally proposed they could have upgraded both the major Brisbane stadiums plus probably built another smaller rectangular one.

It's Been Done

Juniors
What does this mean for the naming rights of Suncorp Stadium? (only the big issues in this thread)

Hopefully ANZ wind up Suncorp like what Westpac are doing to St George Bank, Bank of Melbourne and Bank South Australia

azza29

Juniors
What does this mean for the naming rights of Suncorp Stadium? (only the big issues in this thread)

Probably nothing. Suncorp are keeping their insurance business so they would still benefit from the naming rights if they want to keep paying for them.

jim_57

Staff member
22_Allegiant-Stadium-Scaled.jpg
eaczcec54i8omayc71b7.png

Speaking of 65k, has anyone added this yet?

jim_57

Staff member

65k Suncorp talk, also a different location for a new cricket stadium, and Turning the Gabba into a Arena style venue.

Don’t mind that idea, whether it’s viable or not who knows. I’m all for suggestions that aren’t just throwing $3b+ at the Gabba, Suncorp gets about 3x the amount of people through from memory.

As for the arena suggestion isn’t there one already going ahead over Roma Street?

Marlins

Juniors
Don’t mind that idea, whether it’s viable or not who knows. I’m all for suggestions that aren’t just throwing $3b+ at the Gabba, Suncorp gets about 3x the amount of people through from memory.

As for the arena suggestion isn’t there one already going ahead over Roma Street?
There was talk about it but I’m not sure what’s happing with it now.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I think a 65,000 seat Suncorp, a slight tart up of the Gabba, and the Brisbane Live Arena on Roma Street would be best outcome.

Suncorp is the most used (and the heart of entertainment in the city) so it's logical to upgrade it. The Gabba has the new metro station and needs an update, and Brisbane obviously needs a new indoor arena desperately.

I mean look what they've done with Bernabeu and Ceasars Superdome. Obviously nothing to that scale, but the Gabba would be fine with just a new bottom tier (the side with the three tiers is garbage), roof (not fully enclosed) and better screen implementation rather than a full rebuild.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think a 65,000 seat Suncorp, a slight tart up of the Gabba, and the Brisbane Live Arena on Roma Street would be best outcome.

Suncorp is the most used (and the heart of entertainment in the city) so it's logical to upgrade it. The Gabba has the new metro station and needs an update, and Brisbane obviously needs a new indoor arena desperately.

I mean look what they've done with Bernabeu and Ceasars Superdome. Obviously nothing to that scale, but the Gabba would be fine with just a new bottom tier (the side with the three tiers is garbage), roof (not fully enclosed) and better screen implementation rather than a full rebuild.

how much work would realistically be needed to get the Gabba up to scratch including the athletics track? It’s possible a new stadium would be less.

Jamberoo

Juniors

Suncorp gets just under twice as many as the Gabba for sport. Close to double if you include concerts.

It is outside the scope of the current review to look at new venues such as Victoria Park, so it is very possible that this mess drags on for quite a while yet.

jim_57

Staff member
Suncorp gets just under twice as many as the Gabba for sport. Close to double if you include concerts.

It is outside the scope of the current review to look at new venues such as Victoria Park, so it is very possible that this mess drags on for quite a while yet.
2.4x roughly for 22-23. WWC probably skews that a bit for each.

I doubt building a new Oval venue elsewhere is likely but hopefully there is a better solution than the original plan.

Stadiums_Queensland_annual_report_2022_23_600.jpg

T-Boon

Coach
Thats a flip in last 2 weeks as they are concerned by public backlash and ill feeling around the games. I still say holding the games in a stadium capacity not seen since 1928 is not a great look for anyone!
It is really not a good look for the Olympics that the Olympics are being held in Brisbane at all.

Latest posts