What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Both the Terror and SMH are reporting the NRL has again onlly done a 1 year deal for the 2024 GF with the NSW Government. Citing a $10 million cost to the Government. Not willing to commit long as they want ti tie any long term deal to stadium upgrades.

shewi6

Juniors
Sydney to host 2024 NRL grand final after securing rights in $10 million deal
Sydney has struck a blow to its rivals by keeping the NRL grand final in the Harbour City for this season. But its long-term future remains very much up in the air.

Sydney has secured the hosting rights for the NRL grand final for another year in a $10 million deal struck with the NSW Government.

NSW sports minister Steve Kamper announced the decision to a meeting of the NRL chairmen in Las Vegas on Friday morning.

Coming just two days out from the NRL’s historic season-opening US double header, the announcement knocks down bids from the Queensland and Victorian governments to steal the rugby league’s showpiece event from NSW.

It means the decider will once again be held at the 83,500-seat capacity Accor Stadium in Sydney Olympic Park.

ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys will now go into talks with NSW Premier Chris Minns and Kamper for a longer-term deal which would not only require a government cash outlay, but funding for suburban grounds in Sydney.

The NRL released its 2024 season schedule three-and-a-half months ago without a mention of the stadium, or even the city, for rugby league’s October 6 decider.

The NRL agreed to a one-year deal with the NSW Government for last year’s grand final thriller between Penrith and Brisbane, to allow Minns time to settle into his new role as premier.

Only once has the NRL grand final been played outside of Sydney, and that was in 2021 when Covid forced the entire competition to relocate to Brisbane, with the decider taking place at Suncorp Stadium.

The NRL had been locked in talks to lock in the grand final in Sydney for 25 years when the NSW Government offered to rebuild and upgrade stadiums in the Harbour City. However, the funding package from the government fell short of expectations and has left the long-term future of the grand final in limbo.

jim_57

Staff member
Sydney to host 2024 NRL grand final after securing rights in $10 million deal
Sydney has struck a blow to its rivals by keeping the NRL grand final in the Harbour City for this season. But its long-term future remains very much up in the air.

Sydney has secured the hosting rights for the NRL grand final for another year in a $10 million deal struck with the NSW Government.

NSW sports minister Steve Kamper announced the decision to a meeting of the NRL chairmen in Las Vegas on Friday morning.

Coming just two days out from the NRL’s historic season-opening US double header, the announcement knocks down bids from the Queensland and Victorian governments to steal the rugby league’s showpiece event from NSW.

It means the decider will once again be held at the 83,500-seat capacity Accor Stadium in Sydney Olympic Park.

ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys will now go into talks with NSW Premier Chris Minns and Kamper for a longer-term deal which would not only require a government cash outlay, but funding for suburban grounds in Sydney.

The NRL released its 2024 season schedule three-and-a-half months ago without a mention of the stadium, or even the city, for rugby league’s October 6 decider.

The NRL agreed to a one-year deal with the NSW Government for last year’s grand final thriller between Penrith and Brisbane, to allow Minns time to settle into his new role as premier.

Only once has the NRL grand final been played outside of Sydney, and that was in 2021 when Covid forced the entire competition to relocate to Brisbane, with the decider taking place at Suncorp Stadium.

The NRL had been locked in talks to lock in the grand final in Sydney for 25 years when the NSW Government offered to rebuild and upgrade stadiums in the Harbour City. However, the funding package from the government fell short of expectations and has left the long-term future of the grand final in limbo.

It’d be interesting to know the specifics of the stadium funding the NRL are going for now in NSW. I’d still only consider Parra, Penrith, Easts & Souths as sorted.

The remaining 6 NSW clubs could all do with upgrades to their ground(s) and/or a new stadium. Plus Accor being rebuilt to a rectangle but that’s not likely any time soon.

Colk

First Grade
That is the issue.

People can have this pie in the sky about Melbourne or Perth.

Reality is Sydney or Bris are the choices. Capacity will mean Sydney can and will bid more

I wouldn’t think that Melbourne is completely off the table. They would have the money to do it and they have a bigger stadium.

I don’t think Perth would work, not with NZ in the competition and a viewing market. It would have to be an afternoon grand final for one

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It’d be interesting to know the specifics of the stadium funding the NRL are going for now in NSW. I’d still only consider Parra, Penrith, Easts & Souths as sorted.
I’d hope it’s about fixing Accor to be a permanent rectangle with decent sightlines and a better roof.

as for the others- Wollongong needs one more stand
Same with Manly
Cronulla own theirs so ain’t getting anything
Fixing Accor sorts the Bulldogs out
Tigers need to pick a home before they get anything

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I wouldn’t think that Melbourne is completely off the table. They would have the money to do it and they have a bigger stadium.

I don’t think Perth would work, not with NZ in the competition and a viewing market. It would have to be an afternoon grand final for one
Melbourne has a huge stadium but the sightlines are terrible. Please no.
Eden Park maybe… but capacity is basically the same as Suncorp in an inferior stadium.
Perth? lol

Iamback

Coach

On the same weekend as the AFL GF? Getting hotel rooms would make it unviable for inter state travellers. So as a result limits what they will pay

Colk

First Grade
On the same weekend as the AFL GF? Getting hotel rooms would make it unviable for inter state travellers. So as a result limits what they will pay

That is a negative but if you’re the Victorian government you would be pretty pumped (ugh don’t like that word so enthusiastic) about the potential benefits of hosting both games either on that weekend or seperate weekends. It would probably be the biggest tourist boom you could imagine.

I don’t think it is a massive chance against Sydney or Brisbane but if that state really wanted to live up to their sporting capital in the world label and also take one off Sydney an arrogant or bullish premier might see the benefit

Colk

First Grade
Melbourne has a huge stadium but the sightlines are terrible. Please no.
Eden Park maybe… but capacity is basically the same as Suncorp in an inferior stadium.
Perth? lol

Eden Park. Well there you go.

Would the Kiwis want to invest that much?

jim_57

Staff member
I’d hope it’s about fixing Accor to be a permanent rectangle with decent sightlines and a better roof.

as for the others- Wollongong needs one more stand
Same with Manly
Cronulla own theirs so ain’t getting anything
Fixing Accor sorts the Bulldogs out
Tigers need to pick a home before they get anything

Should have always been the main goal but the NRL seems more interested in pushing some lipstick on Leichhardt and Shark Park.

I’d add:
Newcastle - Stands at one or both ends, getting it to about 40k would be great.

Liverpool - New stadium for Dogs & Tigers if Accor isn’t getting rectangularised, both clubs have floated this idea.

beave

Coach
They can and have been on seperate weekends plenty of times (last saturday in september vs first sunday in October).

Iamback

Coach
They can and have been on seperate weekends plenty of times (last saturday in september vs first sunday in October).

That was pre CBA and the 9 weeks leave, Not sure you can squeeze pushing it back a week. Then get the month Internationals break and long enough pre season

Iamback

Coach
That is a negative but if you’re the Victorian government you would be pretty pumped (ugh don’t like that word so enthusiastic) about the potential benefits of hosting both games either on that weekend or seperate weekends. It would probably be the biggest tourist boom you could imagine.

I don’t think it is a massive chance against Sydney or Brisbane but if that state really wanted to live up to their sporting capital in the world label and also take one off Sydney an arrogant or bullish premier might see the benefit

How much would it take to knock NSW out $15m?

Then not sure PVL would allow GF week to take a back seat to the AFL version

Latest posts