What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

jim_57

Staff member
Tigers & Bulldogs should share whichever of Liverpool or rectangular Accor gets done.

energizer

Juniors
I’d only count on the Souths one as being a safe bet long term- Tigers will need to upgrade their grounds to keep using them and the Dogs need a brand new ground

Apparently there's currently a $2m gap between the deal being offered to play at Allianz compared to the current deal at Accor. That's a fairly big gap to close but I think a loss between the deals on the face of it will need to be taken and then back themselves to make up the shortfall on higher ticket sales, membership and selling out the corporate boxes.

Wb1234

Referee
Apparently there's currently a $2m gap between the deal being offered to play at Allianz compared to the current deal at Accor. That's a fairly big gap to close but I think a loss between the deals on the face of it will need to be taken and then back themselves to make up the shortfall on higher ticket sales, membership and selling out the corporate boxes.
They would make that up easily

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I’ve always wondered of it would be possible to have a lower bowl that accommodated 25-30k and moved in to to create a genuine rectangular lower bowl set up, then retracted out with some fillers in the corners to create a 60k oval? Wouldn’t be cheap I know but maybe cheaper than spending $400mill on a rectangular stadium? I guess the corporate suites would be an issue?
You could…. But the problem is the view from the upper tiers would always suck for any rectangular game, in rectangular mode you inevitably end up with effectively a single tier stadium with a shallow rake on the lower tier.

Bukowski

Juniors
Dogs have a development application in state govt for a new stadium plus enabling development via high rise units and retail on their land up there
Got a link for that or is it like your claims of new Cairns and Port Moresby stadiums?

jim_57

Staff member
Lions back 70k-seat Brisbane stadium plan

I doubt there is much substance to this but if it got up all major capitals would have an oval ground as their largest stadium. It would also likely hinder any Suncorp upgrade in the future because “it’s multi-use, big NRL, Union & Soccer games can just be played there”.

AFL/Lions will go hard at it, NRL/Broncos/Dolphins should be doing the same with pushing the more modest Oval option that would leave funds for upgrades to the 30 year old main stadium, Suncorp.

Wb1234

Referee
You could…. But the problem is the view from the upper tiers would always suck for any rectangular game, in rectangular mode you inevitably end up with effectively a single tier stadium with a shallow rake on the lower tier.
Which for most club games is fine as it holds 40k

Ehh, view would stil be sh*t…

If we dont get a full knock-down/rebuild (which does not seem likely in this economic climate, Id want to see a plan to:

- run the field east-west (with a solid roof to block the sun) and a big rebuild of the North & south stands brought forward to create a rugby-sized field (with the current roof structure, the new stands would not need to be load-bearing for the roof)

- dig the ground (idk) 5-10 metres down and create a new lower bowl where the extra grass is atm

Last edited:
Lions back 70k-seat Brisbane stadium plan

I doubt there is much substance to this but if it got up all major capitals would have an oval ground as their largest stadium. It would also likely hinder any Suncorp upgrade in the future because “it’s multi-use, big NRL, Union & Soccer games can just be played there”.

AFL/Lions will go hard at it, NRL/Broncos/Dolphins should be doing the same with pushing the more modest Oval option that would leave funds for upgrades to the 30 year old main stadium, Suncorp.

I disagree…

keep Suncorp at 50k (perfect for 90% of games) the make the gabba an Accor-style behemoth with moveable stands for rectangular games

then we would just be looking at Origin and GFs for that (a 70k capacity would be grea!)

jim_57

Staff member
I disagree…

keep Suncorp at 50k (perfect for 90% of games) the make the gabba an Accor-style behemoth with moveable stands for rectangular games

then we would just be looking at Origin and GFs for that (a 70k capacity would be grea!)

Nah f**k that, the premier stadiums in Brisbane and Sydney should be rectangular. Building a 70k oval would be making the same mistakes as Sydney again. Given that the Olympics, cricket & AFL were happy with the original plan of 50k moving to a 70k oval that nobody asked for would be ridiculous.

As @Canard said it would be another post-Olympics white elephant. The only time it would go close to selling out is if they move rectangular sports events there which is no guarantee either.

45-50k is the perfect size for an Oval in Brisbane, Suncorp will sell out several times this year so if any stadium is going to be 60-70k it should be that.

Last edited:

Kurt Angle

First Grade
The USA pioneered multi use stadiums in the 1960's with movable stands, etc to ground share between NFL and baseball.

They never built another one once these stadiums aged out.

MLB elected to have smaller, purpose built stadiums.

NFL built palaces for (their) sport. Everyone is happy.

No one, anywhere in the world, is happy with multi purpose stadiums

Steel Saints

Juniors
The Lions averaged crowds was just over 27,000 last year, where they reached their GF. BBL had averaged crowds close to 26,000. In the Aus v WI test, the highest crowd in a day was over 29,000. An ODI between Aus v WI had 16,342 in attendance.

When you look at those figures, the current capacity of 42,000 is justified. The demand isn't there for 70k.

Post Olympics, what oval sporting events can attract 70,000 in Brisbane?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The USA pioneered multi use stadiums in the 1960's with movable stands, etc to ground share between NFL and baseball.

They never built another one once these stadiums aged out.

MLB elected to have smaller, purpose built stadiums.

NFL built palaces for (their) sport. Everyone is happy.

No one, anywhere in the world, is happy with multi purpose stadiums
From what I’ve seen the moveable stands almost always cause problems with either being expensive to maintain and keep operational or damaging the pitch. Most of the stadiums end up getting locked into one mode or the other to save on costs, and for the reasons I stated above the view from the fixed upper tiers is always average for rectangular sports due to the distance they have to be from the pitch.

Latest posts