What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Wb1234

Referee
That all depends on whether the Eden Park site needs to be sold/redeveloped (probably to medium density housing) to help fund the new stadium.

If it's not necessary to sell/redevelop ALL of the Eden Park site (main stadium and outer cricket oval) then maybe there's scope to keep one as the premier Auckland cricket venue in some re-modelled way.

But if all that land needs to be redeveloped to fund Auckland Council's contribution to any new footy stadium, then an alternative cricket oval site needs to be identified ASAP.
Each bid had to submit a business model / financing case

flippikat

Bench

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Ahh.. looks like I swallowed the whole "sell Eden Park to fund new stadium" narrative in error.

Doing that with the Eden Park Trust would be like asking a Turkey to vote for an early Christmas.

Hopefully we see a robust business case for a new stadium that's privately funded.
yeah I think the best bone to throw to the EP trust would be telling them they can have cricket and maybe a few concerts.

flippikat

Bench
yeah I think the best bone to throw to the EP trust would be telling them they can have cricket and maybe a few concerts.
Good point. I mean the alternative is having everything go off to other venues (Quay Park, Mount Smart as #2 rectangular ground, cricket to Western Springs or Victoria Park or where-ever), leaving Eden Park as an unused relic.

In that case, the trust would have little choice but to wind-up just due to lack of events - and then pivot into a sale or property development of the EP site to have one final "cash in" before disestablishing themselves.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Good point. I mean the alternative is having everything go off to other venues (Quay Park, Mount Smart as #2 rectangular ground, cricket to Western Springs or Victoria Park or where-ever), leaving Eden Park as an unused relic.

In that case, the trust would have little choice but to wind-up just due to lack of events - and then pivot into a sale or property development of the EP site to have one final "cash in" before disestablishing themselves.
Also avoids the need to do more stadium juggling as moving cricket to western springs also necessitates moving speedway somewhere else. Keeping cricket at EP and speedway at WS keeps two sports at their traditional homes.

flippikat

Bench
Also avoids the need to do more stadium juggling as moving cricket to western springs also necessitates moving speedway somewhere else. Keeping cricket at EP and speedway at WS keeps two sports at their traditional homes.
Absolutely... and with most cricket crowds being smaller than RU & RL - and the prospect of concerts going to the CBD stadium, the nearby residents could get on-board with that solution.

TheRam

Coach
The latest on Auckland - the working group has narrowed the 4 choices down to two options: Eden Park V2.0 (upgrade of Eden Park) or Quay Park (New build).

That recommendation of the best 2 options goes to council on Thursday, and if they agree then both get business cases prepared over next few months... then HOPEFULLY the final choice between the two.

Fu*k! You just know they are going to go with the lame Eden park option. Why does Australia and NZ get rectangular stadium builds so wrong so freakin many times?!

Wb1234

Referee
Fu*k! You just know they are going to go with the lame Eden park option. Why does Australia and NZ get rectangular stadium builds so wrong so freakin many times?!
Nz isn’t too bad

they have loads of really nice rectangular grounds at 20k or so

Dunedin and. Christchurch are beauties

it’s more just Eden park and mt smart that are average

Like most things cost will be the biggest factor and QP's proposal sees "most" of the cost being footed by private investment due to the commercial and hospo precinct the build would include.

Hopefully the business case holds up.

I work near the area they have earmarked... 10min walk from the Britomart transport hub and ferry terminals, so its immediately far far more accessible than Eden Park, plenty of pubs and restaurants already around plus whatever they plan to build. It would be fking awesome to see it happen. Fri night games would be epic.

flippikat

Bench
Confirmed - Council have agreed Eden Park & Quay Park are the two options to consider.

Next step - 6 months has been given for both bidders to come up with a business case.

I guess that would mean business cases presented at end of this year, and decision on which one to go for maybe early 2025?

Wb1234

Referee
@
Confirmed - Council have agreed Eden Park & Quay Park are the two options to consider.

Next step - 6 months has been given for both bidders to come up with a business case.

I guess that would mean business cases presented at end of this year, and decision on which one to go for maybe early 2025?

A revamped Eden park. So lipstick on a pig @SpaceMonkey

wonder where the trust can come up with any money for ground upgrades given the other one involved profits from developments to help fund a new stadium

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Nz isn’t too bad

they have loads of really nice rectangular grounds at 20k or so

Dunedin and. Christchurch are beauties

it’s more just Eden park and mt smart that are average
Mt Smart is the next best ground after Dunedin and the yet to be finished Christchurch stadium. what are you even on?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Hamilton

plus I prefer north harbour over mt smart
Hamilton is similar but has less grandstand space than Mr Smart, it’s in the same ballpark though.

North Harbour?! You’re either taking the piss or have no idea, the stadium has ONE proper grandstand which faces into the prevailing weather and hills on the other three sides, with a bit of concrete terracing covering about 1/3 of the western hill. It’s not even close to as good as Mt Smart.

Here’s the current satellite view, it’s not even Campbelltown class:

IMG_3150.jpeg

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The Aus government is shelling out 600m for PNG, why not throw our poor neighbour to the east a bit of cash for a new stadium?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Why did they remove all the seating at North Harbour?

It has always struck me as an anomalous stadium.
I think they repurposed it to mainly be a baseball venue and didn’t need the seating on the west side any more which I assume were temporary.

I remember hearing once that the original plan for the stadium was to build a matching stand on the west side to the eastern grandstand, though that plan obviously got abandoned or shelved.

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
I will be pissed if EP gets up. They had their chance for the 2011 WC and it was a distaste. It’s a terrible ground. Hopefully Quay Park gets up. Cricket can go to a revamped EP and speedway stays where it is. It seems so simple but the EP Trust will somehow screw this