What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Timbo

Staff member
Athens was outdoor. They ran out of money for the roof on the main pool, only the smaller pool (which was used for things like synchronised swimming, and then for the paraolympics) had a roof.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
The US built complex multi purpose stadiums in the 60's to combine baseball in the summer and NFL in the winter. Moving stands like Shea stadium etc

They were the first to then say "no this is crap, we need to stop doing this and have purpose built for each sport"

We found out some time later with Stadium Australia and Docklands

How far the Olympics have fallen if they're doing this

A city the scale of LA should warranty a competition pool

aarondoyle

Juniors
That used to be common in the 20th century across Australia, including at QSAC in 1999 for the Davis Cup
Did they have the Davis Cup playing in the middle of QSAC? I don't live far from there and had mates who went back in the day. I thought they must have had courts around the outside somewhere, but I never cared enough to ask.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
When was the last time an Olympics had an outdoor pool?
I reckon LA 84
Barcelona had one in 1992.

Athens, 2004. They really struggled with the temperature and chlorine density - was a pretty slow pool. Still an epic swim meet but could have been so much more with a better facility. LA were thinking about it for 2028 but I don't think we will see one again.

Conversely the Rome pool for the 2009 WCs was outdoor and went the other way. Supersuits / favourible water and some world records still remain.

A fair bit of contention surrounds outdoor pools in competitive swimming.

EDIT. Missed Timbo's comment sorry!

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Did they have the Davis Cup playing in the middle of QSAC? I don't live far from there and had mates who went back in the day. I thought they must have had courts around the outside somewhere, but I never cared enough to ask.
Yes! Was the world record tennis crowd for yonks. Something like 33,000.

EDIT: was certain it held the record for some time, trying to fact check it but can't find.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
In the flurry of media about expansion this week a couple of them mentioned that part of the WA govt support for a Perth club would be upgrades to HBF Park. Whilst nothing is yet confirmed (and wont be until we know if we are getting a club I suspect) a new West stand will transform HBF to another level like the development of the East and South stand did in 2012.

Better corporate facilities, improved changing room facilities, coaching and media boxes etc will all be incorporated into a new West stand. Hopefuly taking capacity up to 25k ish.

They'll need to get their skates on though if it is to be ready for a Perths club inclusion in 2027, if that is what the NRL decides in October.

hbf park2.jpg

Wb1234

Referee
150 million is a budget build as the renders at Penrith have shown

and it still leaves one hill so not done fully

ideally needs 500 million to finish it off as a good ground

Perth Red

Post Whore
150 million is a budget build as the renders at Penrith have shown

and it still leaves one hill so not done fully

ideally needs 500 million to finish it off as a good ground
eh?
This is exactly what the West stand should be. (Proposed corporate stand for Panthers stadium).

It needs nothing like that lol. Replicate the south stand at the north end and put roofs over both of them and new west stand and its done and around 30k capacity. Though Id like to see them keep covered terracing at the North end, something unique for the Perth stadium and suits soccer here.

1719544486202.png

Vlad59

Juniors
eh?
This is exactly what the West stand should be. (Proposed corporate stand for Panthers stadium).

It needs nothing like that lol. Replicate the south stand at the north end and put roofs over both of them and new west stand and its done and around 30k capacity. Though Id like to see them keep covered terracing at the North end, something unique for the Perth stadium and suits soccer here.

View attachment 90250
Mate WB just pulls figures out of his ass

Perth Tiger

Bench
theres plenty of them around the place!
View attachment 90253
Pretty sure they are heritage listed as well aren't they. Can just call it NSO for a round and no need to travel to Sydney

With the piece meal upgrading it would be nice if the Gov just committed to a state of the art 25-30K stadium next to Optus. But that ship has sailed unfortunately