What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

t-ba

Post Whore
Wentworth Park? Not sure if the area around it is big enough though to allow for a decent sized stadium. I remember going there as a kid and thinking 'this would be a good spot for a footy stadium'. Youthful ignorance I guess???

Where they built the Darling quarter/Chinese Gardens would have been awesome for it. Maybe fill in Cockle Bay up to the old bridge. Pretty much would have been a matter of take your pick imo. Horse bolted 30 years ago on this mind you.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
In the meantime it's been confirmed that the Warriors won't be going anywhere for the medium term so there won't be any new major RL stadiums in NZ for the next decade or so. What that does mean though is the Mt Smart should now get some reasonable upgrades, it won't get a lavish full rebuild but conidering the two main stands are already the right size and shape and one of them is only a decade old, it's halfway there already. Just needs a refurbishment of the western stand and a decend permanent southern stand built IMO. The Northern end is where convert stages are normally built, So I'd probably just put moveable temporary stands there (which the ground already has currently at the southern end), and upgrade the scoreboards, replay screens and catering facilities.

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
In the meantime it's been confirmed that the Warriors won;t be going anywhere for the medium term so there won;t be any new major RL stadiums in NZ for the next decade or so. What that does mean though is the Mt Smart should now get some reasonable upgrades, it won't get a lavish full rebuild but conidering the two main stands are already the right size and shape and one of them is only a decade old, it's halfway there already. Just needs a refurbishment of the western stand and a decend permanent southern stand built IMO. The Northern end is where convert stages are normally built, So I'd probably just put moveable temporary stands there (which the ground already has currently at the southern end), and upgrade the scoreboards, replay screens and catering facilities.

Great result and common sense prevails for once. Albany was a laughable auggestion from the council

beave

Coach
Hang on, I thought the western stand at Mt Smart was part of the original design and over 20 years old and the eastern about 5 years old?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Hang on, I thought the western stand at Mt Smart was part of the original design and over 20 years old and the eastern about 5 years old?

Correct on the first part (though it'd be more like 30 years), and the eastern stand is about ten years old.
Nothing really wrong with the western stand though in terms of its size and position, it just needs a refit really. I doubt it would need much major structural work.

Suitman

Post Whore
There may be an announcement of the new Parramatta Stadium before Christmas.

Western Sydney Wanderers hoping for new stadium plans to be finalised by Christmas

Western Sydney Wanderers executives will meet with NSW government authorities this week in the the hope of finalising details by Christmas for the mooted $300 million complete rebuild of their home ground Pirtek Stadium.

The Wanderers, who share the facility with NRL club Parramatta, could be currently playing their last A-League season at the ageing facility for at least three years, with the club investigating options for a temporary move to one of several stadiums in Sydney's west.

The new stadium will essentially double the capacity of the current facility in terms of spectators and corporate facilities, meaning the Wanderers will be able to further increase its already relatively impressive financial performance in only its fourth season in the A-League.

"We are hoping for a resolution, and the sooner the better," Wanderers chairman Paul Lederer told The Australian Financial Review. "But we think the new stadium will be a game changer. It will be a world class facility in Sydney's west and will be a great asset for the community."

The Wanderers are budgeting for a profit this season from revenue of at least between $12 to15 million, according to chief executive John Tsatsimas. Membership is at capacity at about 17,900, with another 2000 on a waiting list.

"We think we could eventually get that total number to 25,000 to 30,000 in the new stadium," Tsatsimas said. "We expect this season to be possibly our last season for a while at Pirtek Stadium, without knowing for sure. So we're making plans for what we will do in the interim and examining all our options while considering the facilities for our fans and for our corporate support and so on."

Happily debt-free

The Wanderers also are hoping to shortly break ground on their $20 million training, academy and administration project at Blacktown. The site, to be paid for by the club, will begin with 9 full-size and one half-size football pitches and take about 12 months to build, after which will come medical, administrative, office and social facilities built over three phases.

"We don't take dividends, the club is stable and it is debt free and we are investing any profits we make back into the club," Lederer said. "We think the facility will be finished within five years, so we will have that and the stadium then. The facility will truly be world class, and it will really connect us with our community."

Lederer also said he was pleased there had been a resolution to the dispute between A-League fan groups and Football Federation Australia regarding the banning of fans from stadiums with the right of appeal.

The matter came to a head the weekend before last with large groups of fans, including the Wanderers' Red and Black Bloc, boycotting matches. Meetings last week saw the boycotts end for last weekend, during which the Wanderers beat Melbourne Victory 2-0.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/sport/we...#ixzz3uFUSgCJU
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

Suitman

Post Whore
Are any other NRL clubs besides eels likely to play at it?

Who knows?
Some clubs might move some bigger games there, rather than the cavernous and soulless ANZ.
The Tigepies would do far better at a revamped Pirtek than taking games to Allianz or Campbelltown.
Souths and Bulldogs are already aligned with ANZ, so that only leaves the Panthers, and they are after a stadium upgrade of their own, so it would be counterproductive to move games to Parra. Not withstanding the fan backlash.

Therefore, I only really see the Wanderers and Eels being main tenants, but at least that gives the stadium use for 12 months of the year.

Suity

Dogs Of War

Coach

Who knows if work is being done to Stadium Australia at some point, there may be a short term period where the Bulldogs and south have no choice but to explore other venues. It's not like the Bulldogs haven' played out of Parra stadium before (1995).

steeden.

Juniors
Who knows if work is being done to Stadium Australia at some point, there may be a short term period where the Bulldogs and south have no choice but to explore other venues. It's not like the Bulldogs haven' played out of Parra stadium before (1995).

Tigers too (1995)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Was DSmith still around, id guess Dogs/Panthers/Tigers/ even souths. (he seemed very keen to push teams forward with incentives).

Now its up to Grant, id guess just the Eels. (he seems happy to let teams die of their own accord)

unforgiven

Bench
Who knows?
Some clubs might move some bigger games there, rather than the cavernous and soulless ANZ.
The Tigepies would do far better at a revamped Pirtek than taking games to Allianz or Campbelltown.
Souths and Bulldogs are already aligned with ANZ, so that only leaves the Panthers, and they are after a stadium upgrade of their own, so it would be counterproductive to move games to Parra. Not withstanding the fan backlash.

Therefore, I only really see the Wanderers and Eels being main tenants, but at least that gives the stadium use for 12 months of the year.

Suity

It probably won't be too difficult for teams with contracts with ANZ to move to Parra if they wish to. All these venues are going to be managed by the same trust so they would probably be open to teams playing at parra.

The thing I really think will be interesting is what will happen to the huge deals teams currently have for playing at these larger venues. As these contracts run out I do not think these $100k a game deals will be around anymore as it takes all the tension out of the process because the stadiums will not be competing for the teams to play there.

Pommy

Coach
It probably won't be too difficult for teams with contracts with ANZ to move to Parra if they wish to. All these venues are going to be managed by the same trust so they would probably be open to teams playing at parra.

The thing I really think will be interesting is what will happen to the huge deals teams currently have for playing at these larger venues. As these contracts run out I do not think these $100k a game deals will be around anymore as it takes all the tension out of the process because the stadiums will not be competing for the teams to play there.

It would still be a seperate entity to the SFS wouldn't it? So Allianz and ANZ would be competing for Souths unless I'm mistaken.
Cant see Bulldogs going to Allianz.

unforgiven

Bench
It would still be a seperate entity to the SFS wouldn't it? So Allianz and ANZ would be competing for Souths unless I'm mistaken.
Cant see Bulldogs going to Allianz.

My understanding is that the SCG trust will be taking over management of ANZ, they already manage the SFS Parra and the SCG. So there will be no competitive tension in stadiums bidding for games. Probably end up with the clubs paying to play at grounds again. This is what happens with the Titans in QLD

Pommy

Coach
My understanding is that the SCG trust will be taking over management of ANZ, they already manage the SFS Parra and the SCG. So there will be no competitive tension in stadiums bidding for games. Probably end up with the clubs paying to play at grounds again. This is what happens with the Titans in QLD

I thought that idea had been shelved but I'm probably wrong.
If the clubs are paying to use the grounds they must see more commercial revenue for what is sold in the ground. There must be a trade off somewhere.

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Yep no surprise in uncompetitive Australia. Surely there is some sort of body that audits potential monopolies that will shaft the consumer?

alien

Referee
this new outer west stadium should be built in liverpool

Last edited:

beave

Coach
http://m.townsvillebulletin.com.au/...-field-of-dreams/story-fnjfzsax-1227646477637

183B4F0E-29C0-4CC5-BC60-4C914CF0B7F0_zpszigehlbl.jpg

THE State Government wants a stand-alone stadium built in the CBD at a cost of $250 million, with room to expand in the future, the long-awaited business case for the project has revealed.

The government’s preferred option was included in the business case sent to the Federal Government yesterday with a plea for funding.

In an overview of the business case, obtained exclusively to the Bulletin, the government reveals its preferred stadium would seat 25,000 people, with scope to expand capacity to 30,000 people.

The stand-alone option would be designed with the flexibility to integrate an entertainment centre in the future, the report said.

Costings show the stand-alone stadium, after capital expenditure, will cost $282.8 million to maintain over the next 30 years, compared with $201.4 million to maintain 1300SMILES Stadium.

However, the business plan has come in for criticism from city leaders for favouring the cheaper option without an entertainment precinct included.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the Department of State Development had sent the North Queensland Stadium Proposal to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull for urgent assessment.

“My government remains committed to this vital project and has budgeted $100 million to get it off the ground,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

“Now we need the Federal Government to play their part, to ensure we can deliver this important infrastructure to the North, and provide a much-needed boost to the local economy.

“My government will fight for North Queenslanders to get the stadium they need, want, and deserve.”

The proposed stadium includes fully-serviced concession and toilet amenities, hospitality options and a lower bowl on the northern stands which would allow for future expansion to 30,000 seats.

The business plan also includes a proposal for a $380 million stadium with a 5800 seat entertainment centre component and a 30-year maintenance bill of $785.3 million. But, the State Government is pushing a stand-alone stadium as the most favourable option.

Townsville Enterprise chief executive Patricia O’Callaghan said she was disappointed the preferred option did not include an integrated entertainment centre.

“From a community perspective we are very much interested in an integrated stadium and entertainment centre,” she said.

“It’s positive that the government is supportive of a stadium but this is the community’s opportunity to build and create two new facilities all in one precinct.

“There is a lot more information in that business case that we want to review and we look forward to having a formal briefing.”

Mayor Jenny Hill said she also wanted an entertainment centre and previous reports had flagged it as the most beneficial option.

“I understand the State Government’s position regarding the stadium but this community has always supported an integrated facility,” she said.

“As a community we will be making our own representations to Canberra for funding for an integrated facility.”

Herbert MP Ewen Jones said the business case would need to be carefully assessed before funding negotiations could start.

“Now the business case has been received by the Federal Government it can go through the proper process of being assessed by Infrastructure Australia,” he said.

Minister Assisting the Premier on North Queensland Coralee O’Rourke said it was promising that the stadium was a step closer to becoming a reality.

“I hope the Prime Minister urgently considers the business case and puts up the Federal money needed to get the project moving,” she said.

“North Queensland needs this stadium, which will create jobs during construction and beyond, and generate growth in our local economy.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
To keep costs down, I would leave the northern stand as a hill but have it capable for upgrade later to either a proper stand or incorporated into an entertainment centre. I know the dream is to eventually have something like WIN in wollongong but we may have to bide our time and just have incremental steps towards the final goal.

Winter is beautiful up in NQ and a lot of people like to have a hill to sit on to watch the footy and let their kids run amok. I can see a lot of bitching if there is no hill at the new stadium, IMO a token end as a hill will keep these punters happy as well as keeping the immediate costs down. It will also allow a really nice back drop of Castle Hill for the stadium and allow a decent breeze through the joint in the early months when it's hotter than satans asshole up there.

Last edited: