What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

thorson1987

Coach
You aren't the spokesperson for our team you fat turncoat.

darth-vader-thumbs-up.jpg

Pommy

Coach
Lets say the NRL starts pumping money into stadia upgrades

Will we benefit or will Soccer and RU just jump in like they have with the SFS and Parramatta Stadium ?

Or will all benefit? Are you saying the NRL shouldn't invest money in stadiums incase someone else benefits as well?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Will we benefit or will Soccer and RU just jump in like they have with the SFS and Parramatta Stadium ?

I doubt the NRL will put anything in unless they have part ownership or some financial return. Stadiums are not charities!

Suitman

Post Whore

The NRL never put any money into either of those stadiums. Both Govt/Trust owned, so how did Football/Rugby jump in? They were always built for all sports to use.

Suity

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The NRL never put any money into either of those stadiums. Both Govt/Trust owned, so how did Football/Rugby jump in? They were always built for all sports to use.

Suity

I think he is saying that RL put in all the effort to get the SFS and Parra built only for Soccer/Union to step in and use it too...

What Siv is disregarding is that the NSWRL never put money into either of those, just a bit of lobbying. If the ARLC was to put money onto the new stadiums, they would probably get a seat on the board, have their rent subsidised and may even get revenue from other events played there.

siv

First Grade
Any stadium design should be modular with 4 ssections that has a plan to expand to 40k

EPL clubs have the right idea where they grow capacity 1/4 at a time when they have enough funds

Why 40k beacayse we can leverage off events like WCs in.either RU RL or Soccer for funding

beave

Coach
Never mind, I found it.

Those renderings are still only 'artist impression' naff though. Still nothing that I can see of a final design.

God I hope this happens.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I a roof really necesaery in Townsville??

I was under the inmpression you didnt get much rain in winter and a roof can add an ass-load to a stadiums construction cost

beave

Coach
I'd say the roof is to encourage the A league to try and expand up there again? Having 2 permanent tenants in the football stadium might make it a bit more palatable by the state/federal governments throwing $250odd mil at this precinct.

Unfortunatley, the 2 years the Fury were in the comp, we had the worst 2 wet seasons in a row that I've ever seen. This kept the Furys crowds down as there is no cover at 1300 for 90% of people.

Pommy

Coach
Not an architect by any means but I'm impressed they have come up with a design that can be expanded and has a roof. I would imagine the two of those are hard to achieve.
Unless you mean just a roof over the stands.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Never mind, I found it.

Those renderings are still only 'artist impression' naff though. Still nothing that I can see of a final design.

God I hope this happens

I seems fairly certain at this point...

IIRC, State Labor has commited to $100m-ish. And Federal Labor has confirmed a $100mil contribution as their policy...

http://www.alp.org.au/practical_policies_that_put_people_first
(page 16)

...meaning the Libs will probably match it or risk lossing 3-4 marginal seats.

Last edited:

Quidgybo

Bench
I a roof really necesaery in Townsville??

I was under the inmpression you didnt get much rain in winter and a roof can add an ass-load to a stadiums construction cost
It's not just rain, it's shade from the sun (kinda important in the skin cancer capital of the world). Sure, most of the Cowboys games are at night but there's still events like the Sunday afternoon semi against the Warriors in September or the World Nines in February. The sun is a serious factor in NQ for most of the year. But really every NRL ground should have substantial roof coverage. We need to do all we can to limit the impact that the elements have on the attendances for our premier competition. That means dry and comfortable patrons.

Leigh

beave

Coach
Leight brings up a good point and I can personally vouch for that Warriors semi being ridiculously uncomfortable, it felt like it was 36-38 degrees that day and not an ounce of shade for anyone other than the privileged few in the Western stand.

I remember the next day at work, all the boys were ridiculously hung over and sun burnt. Was a very unproductive day that's for sure.

beave

Coach
I seems fairly certain at this point...

IIRC, State Labor has commited to $100m-ish. And Federal Labor has confirmed a $100mil contribution as their policy...

http://www.alp.org.au/practical_policies_that_put_people_first
(page 16)

...meaning the Libs will probably match it or risk lossing 3-4 marginal seats.

There are a lot of small minded people whom are against the stadium. I wouldn't count on its approval or liberal funding being a vote changer.

The flow on effect for the town will be awesome but there are some who can't pull their head out of their ass.

Latest posts