What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
So there it ends, the AFL chucked in $20M to Bob Carr in 1996 when Stadium Australia was being built and screwed RL out of a proper rectangular stadium in west for 20 years..

It is time to correct this, and announce the $400M refit to turn this into the best rectangular stadium in the world,

And whack a roof on it...

BuffaloRules

Coach
I haven't seen to many rectangle Athletics tracks...

The AFL chucked in a couple of mil ( no where near $20m) when the stadium was being reconfigured after the Olympics to enable an oval mode instead of permanent rectangle at that stage...

Perth Red

Post Whore
So there it ends, the AFL chucked in $20M to Bob Carr in 1996 when Stadium Australia was being built and screwed RL out of a proper rectangular stadium in west for 20 years..

It is time to correct this, and announce the $400M refit to turn this into the best rectangular stadium in the world,

And whack a roof on it...

Lol, best in the world? What you drinking?

Crippler

Juniors
How can they change it to rectangular? The main grandstands are still so far away from sideline . Can they be moved forward ?

JonnoM

Juniors
Posted in austadiums.com

There are two proposed redevelopment designs for ANZ Stadium.
The first one,many of us has seen with retractable end stands and retractable roof,suitable for AFL and Cricket.
The second design is for a permanant rectangle configuration.It includes the lowering of the field,improving the rake and a permanent rectangle configuration.Level 6 cannot change(23,000 seats) but with a new capacity of 90,000,67,000 seats will be closer to the playing field than previously.
With the Swans departure and Cricket happy with the SCG,there is no need for retractable stands and we will probably see the NSW govt offer its Stadium funding to ANZ.
ANZ Stadium has released its Autumn newsletter online and its the first time I have seen a render of this permanant configuration.
Similar to the development of the City of Manchester Stadium,its what the Stadium shouldve looked like back in 2002(without the influence of the AFL)
image.jpg

hero_redevupdate.jpg

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Lowering the field would be good as long as they curtined off the upper level for the majority of games

HOWEVER!!!!!
I maintain running the field East-West is the greatest idea ever....

angif-flog-a%20dead-horse-def.jpg

Saint Doc

Coach
Lowering the field would be good as long as they curtined off the upper level for the majority of games

HOWEVER!!!!!
I maintain running the field East-West is the greatest idea ever....

angif-flog-a%20dead-horse-def.jpg

However I maintain all teams should change their logo to stylised lettering motifs!!!

Wait...wrong thread!

Pommy

Coach
If the swans have moved to the SCG full time and you have spotless and SCG for crickey just make it a fixed rectangle and have done with it.
It's still going to be way too big for normal rounds but at least it will be better than what we currently have.

Timbo

Staff member
The first of those two options looks great. But it'll be way, waaay too expensive.

ANZ is doomed to be less than ideal for as long as it stands.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Ive personally never been in a ground with curtained off sections, but if it acted to keep the sound in, i reckon youd get a pretty good result out of this...

ScreenSho572_-60.png

Add a roof, and this would become an absolute cathedral.

JonnoM

Juniors
With the curtain off top seating,its still around 55,000
Maybe even go further and close off level 3 at the northern and southern endsfor around 45,000.
It may be also possible to curtain off the the bottom level for around a 25,000 capacity.
There are a few stadiums that do this succesfully,one is BL Place Vancouver
55,000 capacity and the top deck is curtained off for 23,000 capacity
stadium.jpg

JonnoM

Juniors
The permanent rectangle option for ANZ is the only way to go.
There is no need for retractable seating and its done its time.

JonnoM

Juniors
The first of those two options looks great. But it'll be way, waaay too expensive.

ANZ is doomed to be less than ideal for as long as it stands.
ANZ will be redeveloped.It will not be torn down and the retractable stand option option is dead and buried.The ONLY option is a full redevelopment into a rectangle venue with steeper rake and improved sightlines

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I know it's a small thing, but if they are going to redo the entire lower bowl, they really should change the colour of the seat...

There is a lot of science around Priming and the effect colour has on emotion. So in a stadium that is trying to get everyone excited, such a soft/calming shade of blue doesnt seem like a great way to start.

Edit: plus a single, solid colour makes small crowds VERY noticable. Broken patterns (like the Seating up at Townsville) have a much better effect...

Last edited:

pHyR3

Juniors
I know it's a small thing, but if they are going to redo the entire lower bowl, they really should change the colour of the seat...

There is a lot of science around Priming and the effect colour has on emotion. So in a stadium that is trying to get everyone excited, such a soft/calming shade of blue doesnt seem like a great way to start.

Edit: plus a single, solid colour makes small crowds VERY noticable. Broken patterns (like the Seating up at Townsville) have a much better effect...

yea great idea - anz looks like crap when its empty as well as feeling like it at the stadium

Saint Doc

Coach
New colour scheme would be good. Don't know what though. The yellow of NZ stadiums is bad. AAMI's green has grown on me but wasn't a fan to start with

Latest posts