What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

morley101

Juniors
Another opinion

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-at-moore-park-right-now-20160309-gnf29g.html
The media release from the office of NSW Premier Mike Baird on September 4 last year could not have been any clearer about the future of Sydney's sporting landscape.
Announcing more than $1 billion would be invested in the "stadia network" over the next decade, the Premier said: "A global city like Sydney needs world-class sporting venues and this investment will ensure fans and sporting teams have the facilities they deserve."
Amen, Premier. Amen.
e then added a new rectangular stadium would be built at Parramatta but the jewel in the crown was a "new rectangular stadium at Moore Park with 50,000 to 55,000 seats".
ANZ Stadium would be refurbished, and that may include a retractable roof. Six months on while the new Parramatta Stadium is slowly but surely taking shape, the promise of a new stadium at Moore Park has seemingly descended into a "political shitfight".
Not my words, but those of almost every stakeholder involved in this process you talk to.
There's said to be division between "unelected bureaucrats" in the Premier's office who want to sideline the idea of a new stadium at Moore Park, instead preferring a refurbishment, and the office of Sports Minister Stuart Ayres, whose vision is a new stadium network that will service the city for 30 years or more.
Meanwhile, the spin doctoring from many quarters is further constipating the issue, with reporters being pulled one way or the other. Of course, this column is above all that … (Stop rolling your eyes!)
All I know is that I've seen the future. Sydney's brand new stadium should be exactly like the stadium in which I watched Super Bowl 50 in February.
SCG Trust and government representatives toured Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara two days before the match between the Denver Broncos and Carolina Panthers.
This is the home of the San Francisco 49ers – the team Jarryd Hayne plays for, like you didn't know – but on this occasion it hosted the biggest sporting contest in the world.
I didn't watch from a plush press box or corporate suite. A man of the people - and with an all-access media pass - I took vantage points all around the stadium throughout the match. Given how long an NFL fixture takes to complete, there was plenty of time.
The view from each seat was superb. If I wasn't in a seat, I could easily see the action and half-time entertainment on the enormous screens at each end of the stadium.

And if I wasn't in a seat, there was every chance I was making my way to a food and beverage outlet and buying a hot dog or gourmet chicken pesto sandwich and a beautifully chilled Budweiser and then (Fairfax accounts, please look away now) using the corporate card to tap-and-go.
How long did I wait in a line? A nanosecond. Biggest game in the universe this year and I barely waited, barely missed a second of the play.
When it was all over, the crowd of 71,088 souls freely moved out of the stadium, with yawning concourses and pathways meaning they were quickly out and away into the gentle California evening and beyond.
So God bless America and Peyton Manning and Beyonce and last but not least Levi's Stadium. It's an experience this hack will never forget.
And that's the thing that Ayres wants to deliver to Sydney with a brand new stadium at Moore Park: an experience. There's a push to refurbish both Allianz and ANZ stadiums. As NRL boss Dave Smith would often argue before he departed the scene, that would be like "putting lipstick on a pig".
What is the point of spending $1 billion on a remodelled ANZ Stadium, when it will still be stuck in the middle of Sydney Olympic Park, choked with traffic, and it only has express train access for the big games?
What is the point of spending that money when you could spend the same amount on a new state-of-the-art stadium on the edge of the CBD, that will in time be accessible via light rail from Central and other areas, that will be of the ilk of Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara and Emirates Stadium in London and Allianz Arena in Munich?
What's the point of putting lipstick on two pigs that will only partly solve some of the problems both of these pigs have, with more lipstick needed down the track?
Sydney has the chance to finally build a stadium that it deserves, that will last for generations. The other major cities in this country are doing it and leaving Sydney behind.
If one more sports fan tells me, "Oh, you just have to see the new Adelaide Oval" I might just have to break two decades of tradition and pay my own way into a sporting event.
Perth is building a new stadium. Brisvegas has Suncorp and don't Queenslanders enjoy telling us how it's the best place to watch footy in the entire world.
Meanwhile, Melbourne is light years ahead of everyone with its sporting infrastructure, so much so that Collingwood president Eddie McGuire wants to knock down Etihad and build a new $1 billion stadium adjacent to the MCG.
It's time for Sydney to grow up.
Parramatta Stadium will soon service footy in the west. We have a world-class racecourse at Royal Randwick. The SCG remains one of the world's most sacred venues.
There is still a purpose for ANZ Stadium, especially for the headline matches and events because of its capacity.
The vision not that long ago was for a stadium network across the city, which will service everyone.
That means sporting teams, especially NRL teams, can play out of different venues at different stages of the season.
If they build it will they come?
Sydney's been starved of decent stadiums for so long, it will take a real cultural change to drag fans from rugby league back to the game instead of watching it on TV.
A new stadium suddenly gives them more reason to come to the game than long, snaking lines to get in, similar lines to buy beer and food, and then a crush to get out. They get an experience.
Thankfully, they will get this brand new stadium we speak of. They will get their Levi's Stadium.
And they will. Because, on September 4 last year, the Premier said they would.

Last edited:
The thing is just about none of the tenants who use the SFS want a new stadium to replace it. They have all said they would prefer a refurbishment.

unforgiven

Bench
The thing is just about none of the tenants who use the SFS want a new stadium to replace it. They have all said they would prefer a refurbishment.

I would be using the rebuilding of the SFS to leverage the lease holders of ANZ stadium to contribute to the improvements at ANZ.

JonnoM

Juniors
"......remodelled ANZ Stadium, when it will still be stuck in the middle of Sydney Olympic Park, choked with traffic, and it only has express train access......."

And the author uses Levi Stadium as an example.???

Levi Stadium is actually in Santa Clara,over 50kms from San Francisco.
It has ZERO public transport,surrounded by a huge disgusting concrete car park as big as Sydney Olympic Park.and when you do manage to get out of the place,you will be stuck on Hwy 101 for hours upon hours

bobmar28

Bench
"......remodelled ANZ Stadium, when it will still be stuck in the middle of Sydney Olympic Park, choked with traffic, and it only has express train access......."

And the author uses Levi Stadium as an example.???

Levi Stadium is actually in Santa Clara,over 50kms from San Francisco.
It has ZERO public transport,surrounded by a huge disgusting concrete car park as big as Sydney Olympic Park.and when you do manage to get out of the place,you will be stuck on Hwy 101 for hours upon hours

At least it has parking. Should have a rail line as well.

applesauce

Bench
I would be using the rebuilding of the SFS to leverage the lease holders of ANZ stadium to contribute to the improvements at ANZ.

Exactly, just like the TV rights, it looks like the old powers are fighting and will get their way to undo this attempt of competitive tension/leverage.

morley101

Juniors

Wrong... Both Sydney FC and the Roosters don't want to be homeless for 3 years during the rebuild. It is another way to ask for the new stadium to be built on another site and keep playing at the SFS until the new stadium is completed.
I'm not sure what the position of Rugby is.

roughyedspud

Coach
I was at the SFS last week for the roosters v souths game and overheard someone talking about a new stadium being built where the field and pond is closer to anzac parade...meaning the SFS could still be used while the new one is being built...

Probably someone just tossing up a idea....but its not uncommon practice...the new NY giants stadium was built in the car park of the old giants stadium same with citifield & shea stadium in baseball

BrisVegas

Juniors
The NSW government is asking for a guarantee on the number of games to be played at the redeveloped venues before committing the funds.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...nues-says-nsw-government-20160312-gnhcd5.html

Two-thirds of Sydney NRL games must be held at big three venues: NSW government

March 12, 2016
Adrian Proszenko

The NSW government will require two out of three Sydney NRL games to be played at ANZ Stadium, Allianz Stadium or Pirtek Stadium to justify its $1.6 billion investment into the ageing venues.

The state government is in negotiations with all major sporting franchises over content agreements to ensure that a sufficient number of games will be secured for the three stadiums undertaking major works. Pirtek Stadium at Parramatta will be knocked down and rebuilt, as would Allianz at Moore Park, while the remaining funds will be used to give the former Olympic venue at Homebush Bay a much-needed makeover.

Figures provided by Champion Data show that 51.2 per cent of Sydney NRL games - excluding finals matches - between 2011 and 2016 have been played at the major three venues with the remainder played at suburban grounds. Fairfax Media can reveal that figure will need to rise to roughly two-thirds before the government commits to the major projects.

"The Premier and I made it clear that content was an important part of our stadium network," NSW Minister for Sport Stuart Ayres said.

"We've seen other states commit to stadiums and be well into the construction and build phase without having content agreements. We don't want to expose the NSW taxpayer to that type of risk.

"We want those content agreements renewed or enhanced so that we know we have the right amount of content to make the stadiums financially viable.

"There is plenty of sporting content available in Sydney, there is plenty of rectangular content in Sydney to underpin the financial position of these stadiums. We will be working with all of the sports around new or renewed content agreements.

"I'm comfortable with where we sit with that. In relation to the NRL, which is the most complex out of all of them because of the multiplicity of franchises. We're very happy with the work the NRL is doing with all of its clubs, we know having a whole-of game approach which is important to the government and the the NRL and we'll work with them on that."

Based on current venue allocation figures, about 15 games currently being played at suburban stadiums will have to move to the big three in order for the figures to stack up. That will raise further questions about the long-term viability of ageing grounds including Leichhardt, Brookvale and Jubilee ovals. Those boutique venues are struggling to remain of NRL standard and have no chance of procuring state government funding, which has been redirected towards the larger stadiums.

Asked what the developments meant for suburban grounds, Ayres said: "There's enough room for us to get the amount of content that we need and flexibility for clubs to choose the right venue for them. We don't want to dictate where individual clubs are. I'm not the CEO of the NRL and I'll leave it up to [ARL Commission chairman] John Grant and his team to make those determinations.

"What we want to be able to do is ensure they have a network of stadiums so they can choose the right venue for the right match."

Pirtek Stadium is scheduled to be demolished at the end of the current NRL season, with Ayres predicting the project will likely be complete by the "second half of 2019".

"For Moore Park, we have a detailed design brief stage we are about to enter, that will give us a lot more information [about time frames]," Ayres said.

"But I can be honest and say we wouldn't have a new stadium at Moore Park completed in this term of government, so it would be after that."

The NRL set a goal of growing average crowds to 20,000 as part of a five-year strategic plan released in 2012. But officials conceded the goal was unachievable only halfway through that period as crowd attendances continue to dwindle.

Ayres said Sydney had fallen behind the rest of the world, and the other Australian states, in relation to sporting infrastructure.

"To use a racing parlance, we're only just beating the ambulance," he said.

"We have to be honest with ourselves about that, if we don't invest in stadiums now we're going to fall further and further behind. The last significant stadium we built was in 1999, before that it was 1988. Every other national city that has major sporting franchises in it has redeveloped all of its stadiums in that period of time.

"Sydney sports fans deserve the best sporting facilities not just in Australia but in the world. We're a passionate sporting city.

"The other reason we need to do that is because sport continues to be an important driver of our state economy, particularly the tourism opportunities generated.

"We've seen in some sports the patronage and crowd figures hasn't grown. I'm strongly of the view the consumer has decided to get their sport somewhere else. We've got to do something different. No business will be successful if it's not investing in the quality of its product and for sport it's not just about what happens on the field siren to siren - it's about door to door, from when the fan leaves the house to when they come home.

"With the investment committed to by the Baird government, we're providing a suite of stadiums that will allow our sports fans access to the best facilities anywhere in the world."

Considering that the Roosters, Rabbitohs, Bulldogs and Parramatta all play at central stadia to be redeveloped it will be up to the other 5 Sydney based clubs to move their home games. Assuming that Cronulla and Penrith are both content with their home grounds at the moment that leaves the Sea Eagles, Dragons and Tigers.

I can see the Tigers finally settling on a home ground - probably playing the majority (8 - 10) of their home games out of the redeveloped Parramatta stadium.

Manly are probably looking at a split of games between Brookie and Allianz or the Central Coast Stadium, given how unlikely redevelopment of the former is.

The Dragons will probably do whatever NRL headquarters tells them to. My guess would be a split between Allianz and Wollongong Stadiums, with 1 or 2 games per year at Jubilee. Almost anything is an improvement over their current 5 home grounds split.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So about 70 game a year among the 9 Sydney side. That seems fairly achievable....

Rabbits , Dogs, Parra, Roosters - 11 each (1 discretionary move)
Tigers, StGeorge - 8 (4 at traditional ground)
Panthers, Manly, Cronulla (6 at traditional ground)

That would give 78; wiggle room for half a dozen that could be taken away from the 3 major Stadiums that could vary Season to season

Rabbits, Dogs, Tigers > ANZ
Panthers, Parra > Parra (maybe rename it Cumberland)
(The Big/small game could jump between these two)

Manly, StGeorge, Roosters, Cronulla > SFS

Last edited:

flamin

Juniors
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...y/news-story/60ff13b1a82c540b852df4a1c347fcd7

NSW Sports Minister Stuart Ayres has articulated a plan to house the Sydney NRL teams at Allianz Stadium in Moore Park, ANZ Stadium in Homebush and Pirtek Stadium in Parramatta and Premier Mike Baird has ordered dialogue with the clubs.

The NSW government was looking at doing something similar to the AFL in Melbourne, where nine clubs play in two stadiums, the MCG and Etihad Stadium, in the city.

While Harris negotiated a 16-year deal with the SCG Trust for the Waratahs to play Super Rugby exclusively at Allianz Stadium, he did not believe a rationalisation of venues would suit all of the Sydney NRL teams.

“If you look at it from Melbourne’s perspective, they have two stadiums in the middle of town and a stadium in Geelong,” Harris said.

“The great advantage Melbourne has is its transport network. It’s a lot easier to get from A to B.

“If you look at Sydney, you have an east-west axis, which is Allianz, ANZ and Parramatta. The problem for us is you also have a north-south axis, which is Manly and Cronulla.”

It would be difficult to convince fans to travel from the Manly peninsula and the Sutherland Shire to support the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles and Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks respectively if they played at Allianz Stadium or ANZ Stadium.

“I see Manly as similar to Geelong,” Harris said.

“With rugby league people born and bred on the peninsula, you might as well be on Mars because of the transport. If you make it difficult to get to the venue, people will say, ‘I’ll just watch it on telly’.

“You have to have something in the west, which is Parramatta, you have to have something in the north, which is Manly, and you have to have something in the south, which is Cronulla.

“The quality of the venue and the transport links and the entertainment precinct around it are the three key issues.”

There was scope for the other Sydney NRL teams to share *facilities at Allianz, ANZ and Pirtek, while Cronulla and St George Illawarra Dragons could also play at the same venue.

The Waratahs’ new deal with Allianz Stadium has replaced an arrangement where they played two regular-season games and the final at ANZ Stadium.

“Why did we do a long-term deal? Because that’s where a lot of people wanted us to be. The trust came up with a deal that was comparable to ANZ and it gave us assurity as to where our future would be,” Harris said. “We put in safeguards in the event of a refurbishment of Allianz or the building of a new stadium.”

The NSW government has provided $5.8 million for the SCG Trust to design a new Allianz Stadium of 50,000 to 55,000 seats. It is not known whether the SCG Trust will renovate the current Allianz Stadium or build a new venue adjacent to it.

“The Sydney Cricket Ground and Sports Ground Trust continues to work closely with the Baird government and other stakeholders on the future of sporting infrastructure in NSW,” a trust spokesman said.

The Waratahs and NRL club Sydney Roosters would prefer the construction of a new stadium rather than a remodelling of the current venue to avoid disruption.

“If the stadium is inoperable, where are we going to play our games?” Harris said.

Harris said it was also important not to have too many teams at Allianz Stadium to avoid scheduling clashes with the Sydney Swans, who play at the neighbouring SCG.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thing they miss Re why Melbourne works is that the stadiums are slap bang in the city and easy to get to from the main city centre transport destinations, same for new stadium in Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane etc. The fact the NSW Govt wants to build another stadium a 30min walk from the city train station is the reason it can't service the city better. How many places in Sydney are more than 45mins train or bus to Central station? That is fine if you then have a 5-10min walk from Central to the stadium.

I was staying in Randwick last night and thought about going to the Wests game, checked out how to get there and the 1hr 20 min convulated journey put me off going, and I rarely get to see live games! If there was a stadium in the city that game was at I could have jumped on a bus direct to Central and been there in 30mins and would have gone.

A central stadium policy only works if the stadium is in or very close to the city centre.

Agree with him re Manly and Cronulla and travel difficulties from those areas even to central, but can NSW afford two extra stadiums/upgrades for single tenants? Answer is likely no and it's highly unlikely either of these clubs would be flush enough with cash to find the funding to seriously upgrade their grounds.

Would a "Southern Stadium" for Sharks, Dragons and future A league club work?

Last edited:

no name

Referee
Thing they miss Re why Melbourne works is that the stadiums are slap bang in the city and easy to get to from the main city centre transport destinations, same for new stadium in Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane etc.

They didn't miss it at all

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...y/news-story/60ff13b1a82c540b852df4a1c347fcd7

?If you look at it from Melbourne?s perspective, they have two stadiums in the middle of town and a stadium in Geelong,? Harris said.

?The great advantage Melbourne has is its transport network. It?s a lot easier to get from A to B.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They probably class Allianz as the middle of town. My point is they are very close proximity to the main transport hub. If they had been an extra 15min walk away then they would have similiar issues of getting people from city centre destination points to the stadium. Ideally you shouldn't be walking more than 10-15mins from the central transport destination point, and ideally have cafes and bars on the way like Brisbane and Melbourne has, it makes the 15min walk take 2 hours but is a fun way to get there!

I actually found the walk to Allianz from city ok with a few pubs and eateries going up the hill but it is a fair old hike and I am fit and mobile. You could do away with ANZ for club games, and it's fine as is for big events, if you had new Parra and a city centre 40k stadium, then spend the rest on Manly and a southern stadium with a bit of tarting up for Panthers.

At the moment the plan seems to only cater for about three quarters of the Sydney clubs. What happens with the others?

Saint Doc

Coach
Would a "Southern Stadium" for Sharks, Dragons and future A league club work?

No.

- Sharks own their ground and wouldn't leave to pay rent at a different ground.
- Saints have two regions to service, and would never tuck themselves away down a narrow dead end road away from their Sydney based supporters.
- neither would play at a redeveloped opposition ground and thus be pouring money in to their opposition's Leagues Club
- there is no suitable site for a new neutral ground anyway
- we hate them and they hate us

bazza

Immortal
At the moment the plan seems to only cater for about three quarters of the Sydney clubs. What happens with the others?
I think that the plan would be that for Penrith, Cronulla and Manly to play 8-10 games at their local ground and the rest at the SFS/Homebush/Parramatta

The rest would be something like:
Roosters: SFS
Souths: Homebush or SFS
Parra: Parra
Dogs: Homebush
Tigers: Homebush or SFS with 4 games at Leichhardt and Campbelltown
Saints: Homebush or SFS with 4 games at Wollongong and Kogarah