Future NRL Stadiums part II

Discussion in 'NRL' started by insert.pause, May 8, 2015.

1. El Diablo

El Diablo Post Whore

he probably has nfi the government own the stadiums

2. Diesel

Diesel Coach

This political point scoring gives me the shits

Suitman and Last Week like this.
  3. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

Hang on, if Labor has been running around claiming the upgrade is terrible value for money, why would a provate company put money in?

Governments work with private sector investors, because the project is a good deal but the gov just doesnt have the capital. If it is really such a bad ideadfor the gov to build it, why would they think they can suddenly convince a conpany to pay up?

What im worried about is that Labor will talk itself into a corner then need to do a shitty deal to save face that will f*ck everyone

4. Timmah

Timmah LeagueUnlimited News Editor Staff Member

...with the net result being a shitty replacement stadium that doesn't service anyone's needs.

5. magpie_man

magpie_man Juniors

Don't worry, the AFL will come to the rescue and pitch-in a few dollars, a dozen Battle of the Bridge tickets and a June 2014 AFL Record to make sure the ground gets built.
    They'll even broaden its commercial appeal by ensuring that it's "multi-purpose" (i.e. Oval).

titoelcolombiano and taipan like this.
  6. taipan

taipan Coach

The word stealth , comes from the Oxford Dictionary meaning a sporting code underhandedly securing an impractical sporting stadium, then adjusted to their requirements ,without any real intent to use it on a regular basis .
    Or " to roger other codes and thus gain a huge advantage."

magpie_man likes this.
  7. TheFrog

TheFrog Coach

Being on the other side of the land, it would be hard to understand the feeling of the majority around here who are being expected to pay for this extravaganza. You win an election primarily on an issue, it is not really possible to change position once in power. More likely they'll underwrite a loan to the Trust, if the Trust really want to go ahead with it and can dream up an income stream to pay it back. Or maybe it'll just sit there gathering cobwebs for a couple of years while they (and its former tenants) consider their position.

8. TheFrog

TheFrog Coach

As a general rule, stadiums have a much longer life expectancy than Holden cars.

The people will vote on this in a few short weeks. If they vote for it, it will get done. If they don't, well it seems there's a there's a problem isn't there?

9. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

But they wont really will they? I would imagine this issue is a very very minor influencer in the majority of the publics voting persuaders. Labor may well get in but I suspect the stadium issue isnt what will win it for them. Maybe those 15k Roosters fans can sway the result?

taipan and Suitman like this.
  10. Timmah

Timmah LeagueUnlimited News Editor Staff Member

This suggests the election will be fought entirely on the stadium issue which is a laughable assertion at best.

11. Marlins

Marlins Juniors

Utleast by the sound of this, the libs can’t experience anymore back lash, and So if they do win the next election. They’ll probably end up giving both Moore Park and Homebush the full treatments. The full 2.3 billion will be spent on all the stadia. There still referring to ANZ as sydney’s Crowning Jewel.

12. Bring back John Fifita

Bring back John Fifita Bench

[​IMG]

Versus

[​IMG]

El Diablo likes this.
  13. Prometheus

Prometheus Juniors

Very much so.

Most of the truly important government responsibilities are handled by the state governments- eg hospitals, schools and transport. Realistically, what happens to the SFS should have very little influence on how people vote.

14. unforgiven

unforgiven Juniors

You would hope there are more important issues than a minuscule outlay on stadiums.

15. Timbo

Timbo Moderator Staff Member

Everyone’s stupid in an election year, unfortunately.

16. Captain Apollo

Captain Apollo First Grade

The Trust makes, at best a profit, of about $1.5 million a year at best of its revenue get plowed back into the amenities and eaten up in running costs. If you doubt me check out its latest annul report yourself here - https://www.scgt.nsw.gov.au/media/4057/scgt-2018-annual-report.pdf

As such, is the term of the loan going to be over a couple of hundred centuries?

17. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

They're already carrying $78mill of debt!

18. El Diablo

El Diablo Post Whore

Frog would be voting Labor if they promised to spend $50 billion on stadiums

19. unforgiven

unforgiven Juniors

I've actually been a labor voter my whole life but I really like the progress the liberals have made in NSW. I would be inclined to vote for them in the NSW election but I live in Penrith and that would mean voting for Ayres, who I cannot stand.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Last Week likes this.
  20. flippikat

flippikat Juniors

Meanwhile in Auckland, Eden Park has some serious cashflow issues.. with huge maintenance costs coming.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12187857

Not sure whether this puts a new stadium one step closer - there doesn't seem to be an appetite from Mayor Goff at the moment (funny though, he seemed keen a few months back).

Maybe he's just playing coy and leaving it up to his fellow councilors to be swayed by this news?

Anyway, *if* a new stadium in central Auckland is built it'll have the Blues, Auckland provincial rugby, and Auckland's All Blacks tests as tenants.. plus some concerts - and it may well make a play for Warriors games.

Note: from what I gather, the Warriors signed a new 10 year lease to play at Mount Smart in 2016.. but Mount Smart is owned by Auckland Council.. if a new stadium has some funding from Council, and they have their eyes on redeveloping Mount Smart for another use.. they may go to the Warriors to negotiate some way out.

Cricket is already planned to move from Eden Park to Western Springs (currently a speedway track, to be redeveloped as a cricket oval). . So any NEW stadium downtown will be rectangular.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019